1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are there Fender amps still made in USA?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Neener, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Just like the title says, are there any Fender amps still made in the USA?

bluesguy62 and Artwerk Orange like this.
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I think the expensive hand wired ones may be, but I could be mistaken.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Aren’t the reissues built in USA?

Maguchi, Deathray, bluesguy62 and 4 others like this.
  4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

65 deluxe reverb reissue and the princeton reissue are assembled in the US. Whatever that means.

jorbjorb, bluesguy62, glyons1 and 5 others like this.
  5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

The 65 twin reissue

6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Assembled means the bits are accessed from wherever and then joined together.
    Made means some bits are accessed elsewhere and then joined together.
    Manufactured means some bits are made from scratch in the country named.
    Crafted means "we are trying to give the impression of aged, experienced craftsmen and women carefully making each bit by hand".
    At least those ar my definitions.:)

7. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

- The Hand Wired Series (includes 64 Deluxe and Princeton Reverb amps and the three "57 Custom" Tweed amps)

- The American Vintage series (includes the 65 PR,DR,SR, and TR Reissues +59 Bassman LTD)

- Chris Stapleton 62 Princeton artist signature amp (The GB Twin Reverb artist signature may be too)

Some components of these amps may not be made in USA, but the amps are built in USA. Other models are "built", "assembled" (or whatever you want to call it) elsewhere - primarily mexico and china.......

8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I think most oftheir parts are outsourced...i had an old 74 pro reverb ...lovely thing...sold it ...still giving my self bumbruises for that
    couple of yrs ago got 2 new ones 65 DRRI and the 68 Custom Twin
    the drri..i will keep it in lower case as i was underwhelmed by it..sold it..no prob...amp was"assembled in usa"
    the twin...mexico
    great amp for surf.but little else..but to be honest for general use ...gigging too...i use a modded Vox AC30VR...sounds better than the twin..is as loud and much more versatile and MUCH better sounding
    some gigs i still prefer my old Carlsbro Super Stingray...loud as you need...good punchy..or not.sound..depending on what you set it to...bullet proof reliable..and it cost me £50...120 watts..yes..solid state...but does job and then some
    modern fender amps im sorry to say are lacklustre and junk....one trick ponies cashing in on what were once some of the best amps money could buy
    modern ones hiss fart and crackle...with one dimensional tone compared to their predecessors
    fender needs to up its game...or lose customers in droves....their after sales service is a joke...nearly as bad as Rickenbackers...if you aint a star...they dont care...not good enough...if it was a car or motorcycle...or a fridge you would be straight on the dog and bone asking what is this rubbish?
    its not good enough

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My 2019 Fender 57 Custom Deluxe is “Assembled in the USA”.

Damn nice amp...

Maguchi, bluesguy62 and Neener like this.
  10. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Thanks for the rundown!

Any idea if the 1x12 Tweed PR are USA? I know the 65 PR 1x10 is, I don't think the FSR 1x12 tweed is. Odd

Maguchi and bluesguy62 like this.
  11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I believe that my Clapton vibro champ was made here in the USA.

bluesguy62 and Neener like this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

any country of building to spec, can produce high quality goods from computer chips to military grade electronics.
    When I was a machinist parts that were not up to spec didn't get paid for by the customer. The customers set design tolerances any thing that did not meet the designated tolerances didn't go out the door. Fender american can set lower tolerance for equipment made in this country.

Does an amp know which country the work bench it's sitting on,it in? No.
    Do you have to be an american to build fine instruments? Ibanez , Warwick, Tokai, ESP Japan.

13. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

I'm not arguing the merits of products made in other countries. Just asking which Fender amps are made in the USA

14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, back in the handwired Fender production days, at some point the boards were assembled in Mexico and shipped to Fullerton for the assembly of the amps....or so it has been claimed. Perhaps this was at some point in the CBS days??? So, perhaps it has been a long, long time since every aspect of a Fender amp was ‘made in the USA’.

15. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Yes.

All the fsr(s) of the listed series are also u.s.a

bluesguy62 and Neener like this.
  16. AxemanVR

`
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure "Assembled in the USA" is as close as it's going to get these days...

untitled.JPG
    `

bluesguy62, El Tele Lobo and Neener like this.
  17. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Interesting, thanks everyone. I have no problem with products made elsewhere.

I will admit, I like seeing "Made in USA" on Fender stuff, just makes me feel warm and fuzzy, even if every component is made in china lol

I own stuff from all over the world, I don't discriminate!

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like the Idea of buy the thing my neighbors build.

19. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

Well I mean it’s not really that much about the components. The only thing really being done by hand these days is the final assembly. The days of workers hand soldering stuff into PCBs (at least, from scratch, not some substitution or to correct a mistake or add something that the machine can’t) is mostly long gone. On the board side mostly what you really have is some middle of the road production assistants operating the machines, whatever country they’re in. You could make an argument that it’s better to support domestic fab houses. You could also make the argument that trade partners like Japan or Taiwan are pretty integrated with US economy and employ each other. On the final assembly front it’s usually more like - do you want people working for slave wages in other countries, or do you want underpaid Americans or Koreans doing it?

bluesguy62 and Beezageezaoz like this.
  20. AxemanVR

`
    It seems like it a combination of both... supporting domestic and global interests.

My 2019 Fender 57 Custom Deluxe goes for about double the price of a smaller competitor, so why spend more? Well, I like the idea of supporting a brand which I have personally found to be of great benefit to myself and countless other musicians.

Plus, that amp most likely represents the last big investment for me (as amps go) so I decided to go "all out" this time.

Furthermore, a hand-wired Fender amp will most likely hold its value over a no-name one.

But, besides all that, it's a fantastic product (imo) and a great solute to the original from which it was derived.

While I'm sure there are other manufacturers who can make an equally high quality product, it really all comes down to what will satisfy every aspect of a person's performance and, if having a brand name seals the deal, then why not? Otherwise we'd all be driving a Geo Metro, since they "basically do the same job for a lot less", right?...

unnamed.jpg
    Simpson-Red-Geo-Metro.jpg

`

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.