Are there any sight-reading rock guitar books for a young learner?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Gogogoch, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good sight-reading (standard notation) book for rock guitar for a young learner? It's important that it teaches rock songs/pieces. I've only managed to find sight-reading books that teach classical style guitar. There must be some sight-reading books for kids who want to rock!

Any recommendations would wonderful.

Thanks.

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/sight...uxoCC00QAvD_BwE#isbn=1575606593&idiq=31941174

Gogogoch likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I don't know, as I just Googled your keywords and this popped up. But my guess is yes, if the kid is a visually astute one, as most kids are in the over-screened days, and has a helpful dad, as he/she clearly does with you.

My 13-yr.-old son just started wanting to learn, and finds tabbing quite learnable. He can also read music per se, as he's a cello and piano player. But the chord diagrams make instant sense to him. "This is like Lego instructions," he grins.

Best wishes on your and your kid's efforts.

Gogogoch likes this.
  4. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Thanks. Much appreciated.

5. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

You could also try Chordify. Easy to use online and it will give a chart that follows the song. Very good for learning the basic chords to a song and also to learn to keep time. There is also the option to slow the tempo.

6. Gogogoch

Gogogoch TDPRI Member

Thanks, but I'd prefer a book version to a screen. Cheers

7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Google the title, then pick the link to Hal Leonard. That'll let you see some of the insides of the book.

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Thrift stores are full of pop “ song books” Guitar is a full range/ non transposing instrument, you can play the melody lines out of any pop rock book, comp chords off the piano parts ; for serious “sight reading” chops a guitarist should be able to comp off the piano part and from chord names, a gig that requires reading does not usually provide block diagrams, the ability to do this will get you paying gigs and win you academic scholarships , I wish I had started sooner.

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Everything CK Dexter Haven said, and then this:

If this is a case of someone learning to sight read, making that entertaining will be part of the challenge. Learning to sight read means addressing recognizing and find the notes, and separately, recognizing rhythms. For kids, doing what has already been described is helpful, and a great start. But it won't be enough, eventually a person will have to jumpin with both feet and just deal with the inherent difficulties that are learning to read music for guitar.

If this is a case of just helping someone learn to play, I'd set aside the issue of reading for a while and let them learn to have fun with the instrument, learn to enjoy it for its own sake. Then once you know they are serious, gradually introduce reading for guitar. Otherwise, you risk discouraging them, or scaring them off.

The question is, did you really mean sight reading, or did you just mean books in standard notation as opposed to those in tablature? The term "sight reading" is quite specific, at least to anyone who has had any kind of musical education, especially formal, albeit not exclusively.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I just got this from Amazon, as ( I'm a longtime player)
    I am actually thinking now about ' teaching myself how to teach ' guitar!
    This has good songs, music notation and tabs: Screenshot_20190917-200111_Chrome.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.