1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are there any good FENDER singlecoil Telecaster pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fyshnutz2, Jan 24, 2015.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

That's incorrect. The CS Nocasters are a set unto themselves. The Twisted Tele neck is often paired with the Broadcaster bridge in several models.

2. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

I'll second, or sixth, whoever said Fender OEM pups. My '89-era 52 ri stock pups sound amazing to my ear.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

If you like the Nocaster neck then personally I'd just put in a set of CS Nocasters since they're sold as a set just that way and they are RW/RP so they will hum cancel in the bridge/neck position.

I think you'll find them to be quite versatile with a little mid of a mid range bump from the bridge. The neck pickup is quite clear and bell like and they balance well with one another as a set. They have a "flavor" to them that makes them quite good as a rock or blues pickup without losing their twang or going overboard with it.

If you want something with a little stronger output and more bark and bite then go with the CS Texas Specials. IMHO any of these Fender pickups were meant to be installed as a pair just as the Twisted Tele/Broadcaster set is or the Vintage '64s or the OVs, etc.

Two comments I feel that also need to be inserted is how to deal with this "ice picky" thing. Adjusting pickup height can be critical as far as getting pickups in their "sweet spot". I don't know how many times I've read threads complaining about certain undesirable characteristics of a pickup and after suggestions are made to adjust the pickup height the owner often comes back all smiles. There's a reason they make them adjustable.

The other has to do with the tone control and the tone cap. If the tone is a little "sharp" roll back on the tone. If it gets too dark too rapidly when you do that and you can't find a happy medium then use a lower value tone cap than the .047 Fender usually supplies and you gain more control over how much and how rapidly those higher roll off. Most of my Teles have .015 or .022 caps because I like their more subtle control of the highs.

4. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I was just playing on my tele with the Nocasters. Ash body and RW fretboard. Had a blackface fender amp turned up to 6 with the guitar volume down to 6-7. Glorious tones coming out of it. Go get a set. You should like them.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I agree 100% Rob!!! But then, I bought your pups because they are the best I've found........

6. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

Not surprising. My Classic 60s was one of the only Teles I've had that I didn't want to change the pickups in. :cool: CS

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you're willing to go that direction, Fender makes a number of great sounding strat neck pickups :p

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK, I wasn't sure, but knew that the Twisted set came with a not-twisted bridge pup, and wanted the OP to know what to look for.

Thanks for the correction, I kind of hoped someone would clarify that.

It sure would be nice if Fender stamped the model in the bottom of each pickup, since after the sale they're near impossible to identify.

9. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Another set that I forgot to add, the CS Blackgaurd tele set. A buddy of mine has them in a partscaster and those blew me away. By far the best sounding pickups Ive heard; IMO. I will be ordering a set one of these days.

10. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Lots of 'em.
    My 8502 has great pickups(vintage sound)
    Fender OVs
    '64 AVs
    '62 AVs
    Nocasters
    Broadcasters
    The '58/'52 set on my 60s Baja...
    I don't see a problem.

11. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

I just received a set of the CS Blackguards this weekend. Plan on installing them soon. I was going to get a Nocaster set but found the blackguards online for too good a price to pass up. Do you know if they're RWRP like the Nocasters?

12. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

This has been an excellent discussion. I was trying to draw out 2 particular points.

1 - Being that you read so much about swapping out pickups in teles one could be led to believe stock fender pickups bite (probably excluding the CS).

2 - With the ups and downs of the Fender guitar company there have probably been some production line pickups plopped in teles that were less than honorable. Not being an expert in the history of the Fender guitar company but having read some history. Generally generalizing I might guess that '76 - 83 might have been a rough patch (excepting the early '80s MIJ guitars, and that may not include the pickups that went into otherwise fine guitars)

I am all onboard with the comment from baiff. I am an amp adjuster, not set to ‘11’ and go.

Jondanger has an interesting point about the MIM AlNiCo pickups, I might follow up on that.

Rob Sistefano makes the most cogent point in my case with “copping "great tone" doesn't take a great pickup or great guitar - takes talent that I don't have.” That is me to the core, but I have good ears and really like to experiment, even with what little talent I have.

For GeorgiaHonk, great name by the way, addresses my second point - '89-era 52 ri stock pups good, ’77 tele standard, not so much.

Soulman969 – thanks for the tips on the caps. I always feel my tone goes too dark too fast.

My old friend waparker, the is an idea I will pursue soon, ‘cause I can never leave well enough alone. Any suggestions in this direction?

Telemnemovics - that is an issue that drives me crazy. First if you buy a used “Fender” pickup, how do you know if it is really a fender pickup? Second, you pull a pickup and if you’re not an obsessive labeler a few later your ‘what the hell is this thing?”

All the pickups mentioned in this discussion come in sets but have been broken up by dealers or pickup swapping players. So all of these are available as neck or bridge.

Cheers - Eric

13. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

Totally agree. Both are among my favorites.

14. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

You are incorrect about the Twisted Tele set. The bridge pickup in the Twisted set is indeed a Twisted Tele bridge. The Twisted Tele set hasn't been out for all that long. The Twisted neck has been out for awhile though and has been with a broadcaster bridge by Fender in some guitars. The Twisted Tele set is a standalone set.

15. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I've never had a set of Fender Telecaster pickups I've liked. I guess I'm a cork sniffer.

16. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

No idea, all I do know, is that I strummed one chord and thought "wow". Full of midrange, just a beautiful sound. To me, this was how I wanted my Tele to sound. Ill get a set one of these days.

17. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nocasters, OV's, 62 RI set. I am not sure how anyone could not like them. I like nocasters best for overdriven rock sounds and the 62 set for clean fast picking. The OVs kind of sit it the middle of these two to me. I'm sure the newer 64 set and 58 would be killer too. I've played some American standard pickups from 90's teles that did sound ice picky.

18. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

adjason - Among other things this is the sort of info I have been searching for. Succinct descriptions / comparisons of the various choices. The Fender site is not very helpful in this respect. Thanks

19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Love my 68 Tele bridge with a 72 neck in my Tele. I have had a 86 AVRI "62" Strat RI for decades now that I have never once thought about changing its original pickups as they have always sounded great

My favorite Fender pickups I have heard or used were in an early 1966 Strat-never should gotten rid of that guitar, but people did not think much of the post-CBS guitars in '80s. They were still easy to find and I was more impulsive then. In my experience, the pickups from the CBS takeover were among the best I have ever heard. I had a friend who was a guitar dealer of some note. In the mid '80s he did a swap where he ended up with 6 refinished Strats from 65 and all of them sounded great. All of the pickups were a bit hotter than what would come with a 62 or 63(He had about 20-30 vintage Fenders most any time so it was easy to tell these differences) Before the bean counters started thinking about costs of production, the theory was that the factory workers tried to make better sounding products for the new owners. Not sure if this is correct, but I would agree that the sound of the pickups from 65-68 are exceptional.

Of the newer ones, I think Fender & Gibson have a problem competing with the vast cottage industry of contemporary pickup makers. I haven't bought a new instrument since 92 and probably wouldn't do so for various reasons(mainly that it is cheaper to buy used than new). The most recently made guitar I own is a 96 Gibson Les Paul Studio with P90 and I have been thinking about changing the bridge pickup for better balance. I generally do not tweak out too much on pickups. One aspect I have noticed is that people do not play around with the height adjustment of the pickups. Generally I play around with a new guitar for an hour or so while I move the pickups until they balance out in all positions. If they never do, then I start thinking about replacing them. To me the amp is probably the more important component to the overall tone than the pickup.

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have both 62 custom and nocaster bridge pickups and i have 2 teles, a 60's classic which of course is rosewood board/alder body, and a 50's classic as/maple. I switched them endlessly till i was well versed in the difference and heres what i found.

nocaster bridge: It's a bit more output and smooth due to the more mids it has but still has clarity and not hot enough to take it out of vintage territory. The most important thing i found is it's horrible in the 60's tell but in the 50's it's excellent. Truly that big a difference between the ash/maple and alder/rosewood. They are very different guitars to begin with and the pickups really depend on how well the work with a given guitar's tone. In this case it was very very obvious. If you have a 50's style tell i'd say the nocaster bridge will work great. One thing tho....i was having issues with a bit of harshness in the top end till i lowered the treble side very low. Thats not only fixed that but it became really sweet. The nocaster neck.....well, i found it less muddy then most but still a bit too muddy. What i use in ALL tele neck positions and to date has been great in every one is a dimarzio twang king. No mud, great tone period. Very few people don't love them. IMO kills the nocatser neck.

62 custom bridge: a tad less output than the nocaster and more balanced and twangy. But not so much that it gets harsh or thin. In fact as you use more OD it sound great because it never loses clarity but sounds great with OD. In the 60's it's perfect. Love it and no desire to look further. In the 50's, still good but not near as great and not as good there as the nocaster IMO.

So in short, nocaster bridge in a 50's works great, 62 custom works great in a 60's. And while i don't know of a fender neck model that does it for me, the dimarzio twang king is king in any tele's neck position. Hard to lose with those combos IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.