1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are there any advantages to threaded saddles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by paulblackford, Mar 20, 2021.

1. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Apparently, by the number of folks here who love their threaded saddles, you are incorrect. I’m not saying you’re incorrect (I too prefer compensated saddles), but they are saying you are incorrect...

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have a set on a top loader bridge and they seem to work fine on that one. However, they wouldn't be my first choice. There have been some innovations on tele saddles that are definitely an improvement in my opinion.

paulblackford likes this.
  3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Would compensated threaded saddles have to have a greater slant on the threads?

4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

The pitch of the threads would not have much to do with it.

Actually, if you see a barrel compensated saddle, you can see that there would be two ways (well, 3 maybe). One would be to mill off a segment of the threaded circle so that the bevels were offset a bit. That would leave a pretty sharp edge. You could bore the hole in the treaded rod at an angle (some compensated barrel saddles do this). You might be able to heat the threaded rod really hot and in a controlled manner ovalize the rod so that one part had the height point of the oval ahead of the other half.

I have seen some old guitars with threaded saddles where once the intonation was set, the intonation screw was bent to angel the saddles correctly. OK, that was four ways....

5. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

They came on my AV '64 and '67 Smuggler.

I used both until the compensated brass replacements arrived.

Brass, to my ear, was far less shrill than the steel on both guitars.

The '67 with the CS '67 pickups was completely
    changed and the ice picky bridge became far more tame with a nice rounded tone.

I'll stick with compensated brass, thank you very much. ;)

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like that they're steel. That's about it. I don't remove them, but I rarely spec them on a build. Usually it's 5/16" steel, no threads.

7. Ric5150

Ric5150 TDPRI Member

When you consider that nobody has ever achieved perfect intonation on any stringed instrument, “good enough” is pretty much all we have - so who am I to argue about someone else’s “good enough”?

8. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

I mounted a set of Fender on a toploader tele. It fixed the unwanted vibrations due to the lack of break angle. I guess they sound kinda bright, which I like on that axe.

9. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I rest the heel of my hand on the saddles at times and I think they'd chew up my hand a bit, no?

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

zero issues. I think the original intent was for guitars with WHAMMY BARS to prevent strings from wandering.

They come STOCK on the 62's ( UsA and MIJ)

If you're gonna put a Bigsby on a Tele, you will want threaded saddles, make that NEED.

When Fender Japan issued the 62' with the Bigsby, it came with a floating bridge and threaded saddles.

IF the saddle screws are too long, and many are that come with saddles, go out to the hardware store and get shorter ones, or go out to the workshop and grind them down a tad .

Someone said its possible for the string to sit on the TOP EDGE, I'm thinking that is not even possible , they would naturally fall into the thread groove which is much wider.

You can adjust string spacing if required.

I have a few sets sittin' around here in BRASS , I forgot I had them !

No , you can't feel any threads with your picking hand.

If they were a detriment they would not be on J Masters + Jaguars.

Many brands of Electric guitars have a Factory GROOVE in the saddle to seat the string , thats the same as a grooved saddle with NO choices !

we are all so used to the cheap ,smooth , two string saddle ! And we will defend it to our demise ! :eek:

Bill in VA likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Strings don’t slide on saddles
    You can bring a top E string in from the edge of the fretboard
    Sound great
    You can bend them a bit to improve intonation.

zeke54 likes this.
  12. luthierwnc

luthierwnc TDPRI Member

On two instruments I've repaired I noticed a little slop in the high E and maybe B where the machining has too big a round for the bottom of the string. One guy used 9's. Someone here mentioned a sitar sound. A couple passes with a nut-file can help. Machining seems to vary quite a bit on the precision of the thread bottom. You could do the same if the bass strings are too tight and bind. Haven't used it for that but I rigged a scroll saw to fit a wound-string instead of a blade for abrading exact fret bottoms.

FWIW, Skip

zeke54 likes this.
  13. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

Put them on my American original 60s Tele, because I prefer them and they're period correct.

zeke54 likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kept them on my Palo Escrito for about ten years.

Then replaced them with the compensated FMIC brass saddles from Darren Riley (Raleigh, NC). Better compensation and easier set up.

To me, the threading just has a "Git R Dun" look about it, a sort of pre-industrial look that's (believe it or not) too primitive for Tele. IMO. You wouldn't want wooden spoke wheels on a 1950s car, woodja?

5haun and caliban335 like this.
  15. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I, personally, prefer the sound of brass. Add to that the improved intonation that compensated saddles bring and that is where you find me. Nothing wrong with those, I suppose, and as previously stated they could help hold alignment if something else was off.

16. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

They absolutely make a difference if you need the string to stay in a certain spot... like on my Creston tele that had the high E too close to the edge of the fretboard.

I’ve had the Glendale Groovy 60s steel saddles and they are compensated for proper intonation. They kept me from pulling the string off the edge of the fretboard and allowed me to adjust the spacing at the bridge just how I wanted it. Also added a little more clarity and brightness to the tone compared to brass.

So yes I like them and wish I had some on my current tele too

17. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Everything changes from solid to threaded saddles: tone, attack, sustain/falloff. The threads cause the string to behave almost banjo-like.

Antoon likes this.
  18. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i like threaded saddles, but i like the ones with the large diameter flat blade set screws i have a couple and i dont get any at all sitar of banjo'ing

quite the opposite i get a nice solid no rattle contact all around on those

i am not saying those things cant happen of course as there are many diff threaded saddle bridge versions

19. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

For the benefit of those who may be horrified at my modifying a vintage guitar...it wasn't "vintage" when I got it in 1972, it was just "used". It was my only guitar for years and I did what was necessary to keep it playable so I could gig. I got it for $125 with OHSC from a pawnshop in Tahoe.

20. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Uh , yeah , highly unlikely... but even so , easily remedied ! :) I have them on a couple of my Esquires , as well I have unthreaded steel , they are all the same to me .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.