Are the Ventera series Plek'd

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DrPepper, Jan 22, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

And, would it be worthwhile to have it done?

2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't know that they plek any of their guitars, even their almost 2k Ultras... If they did I think they'd promote that...

3. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

No, Fender does not have a Plek machine. I actually brought home 2 Vintera Strats - the '60s Strat and then the '60s Modified Strat - and while I did not keep either one the fretwork was very solid on them. I wouldn't necessarily think that a Vintera would need a Plek job but it would depend on the individual guitar.

gwjensen likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah it doesn't seem like Fender ever does a Plek job, they're doing the work some other way and it gets better as you go up the lineup, to the point it seems like the Custom Shop stuff is clearly getting hand leveled by someone that really knows what they're doing.

There are other companies like Taylor that claim they don't need to do it because they've got some other manufacturing technique to build fretboards very precisely. My impression from trying a lot of Taylors is that they do seem to have something figured out. The different big companies seem to have built different custom machines to do this stuff.

PRS seems to imply they hand level at a minimum all their USA guitars.

The Plek can do a great job too though. I love the fretwork on my USA G&L which got a Plek treatment.

5. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

My Gibson Midtown is factory plekked and is superb.low action ,no string rattle .

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

No, definitely not. My Vintera 60s modified had frets that could trim your nails. Had to do a fret level, crown and polish just to get the bloody thing playable. Shocking condition for a high end Mexican made Fender Guitar to leave the factory, especially when you consider the price I paid. I'm only buying US Fender's and Squier's from now on.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    hdvades likes this.
  7. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Ah! Plec! Well Fender and derivatives are generally not and now, even with Squire you get a pretty good profiling. Yes you can level and polish and it makes a difference but generally they are pretty good these days. But.... I bought a Memphis custom Shop Gibson - horribly expensive and..plec-ed. Oh yes, leveled to the "Nth" degree .. and then left flat and square. Grrrr!!!

8. FuzzWatt

FuzzWatt TDPRI Member

I have a Les Paul that's PLEK'd and it went from being a great guitar to the greatest guitar I've ever played. I can get the action to 3 64ths on the bass and treble side, though usually leave it around 4 64ths and it plays phenomenally well.

That said Fender seems to be much more consistent in the quality of their fretwork and leveling in general than Gibson. So whatever they're doing it's working.

But I'll never talk someone out of pleking their guitar. It's the greatest thing that ever happened to my favourite guitar and I may have it done to others.

9. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

My 60s Vintera Strat has excellent fret work and plays really smoothly with no fretting out issues.The sides are very well done too with no significant fret sprout.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Memphis made 335 that had the plek tag on the case and it had random buzzes with super low action. I never bothered to fret dress, but I got my 20 year old Gretsch divotted frets better with a magic marker, file, 400 grit and eyeballs.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Repetitive I know, but one of the main reasons I like to buy guitars in person is, I can make a quality determination myself, as to the quality of the fretwork. Because guitars are not equal, even if from the same plant or have the same model designation.

Illustration: I have 3 Jimmie Vaughan Strats with excellent fretwork. But the 4th Jimmie Vaughan came "lightly" used from Dave's in Wisconsin and they gave me their word the frets were in excellent shape. Well, I opened to box and my opinion about Dave's went down and has stayed down. I've spent a couple hours doing a couple of fret level, crown and polishes and it still isn't the same caliber as my other 3. Even though I actually paid, before shipping, more for the guitar from Wisconsin.

That Cal Webway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.