Are the USA spec Teke control plates different dimensions than Import spec?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kloun, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

So I'm doing a build and I tried installing CTS pots on the plate that I got and it doesn't fit. Googled it, and found out that the import spec control plates are different sizes and apparently I got an import (Asian) metric one instead of a USA/MIM standard size. See here: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/help-with-control-plate-holes.1122184/

Could someone who has both a USA or MIM and an Asian import Tele compare the control plates for me? I want to see if they are the same dimensions other than the pot holes. If they are the same I will just open up the holes to fit. If they aren't I will order a new USA spec plate. I suspect that they may be different sizes because the Asian spec one barely covers up the cavity and I just want to make sure. I don't have an Asia made guitar to compare to. Thanks.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Treat this part as totally not for you. The reference holes don't match but what is more, the outer profile or shape is different also. I've compared them, in the past. It means the pickguards cannot be readily interchanged either.

Kloun likes this.
  3. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Thanks for info. Much appreciated. New plate ordered.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.