Are the newer USA. Guild guitars great?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Rod Parsons, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I have been considering purchasing an American made "Guild F-30". I have seen one that catches my eye on the net. It was made in 2009. Does anyone know how good these newer American made Guild guitars are? Are the brand new ones really good? Are they easy to play??? I had a 1966 Guild small body guitar in 1968 and it was fabulous.. I have no idea what model it was, but I imagine that it was a concert sized one.. :):):)

2. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to be invited to a tour of the Guild factory in New Hartford last summer. I literally got to stand on the shop floor next to the workers. I also got to play more than a dozen new Guild guitars over the course of more than a day. I can tell you that they are beautifully made, played like a dream and, allowing for the individual variations in guitars that are inevitable given that they're made out of wood, all sounded anywhere from extremely good to heavenly. If I could have afforded it I would have bought one of the 12-strings on the spot.

Many of the people working in the shop have been there for 10, 20, even 30 or more years and to say they take pride in their work would not even begin to express the level of artistry I saw at that facility. I got to go into the final assembly and inspection room and if the guitars don't pass their exacting standards (I even had a chance to look at their final setup specs chart), they don't go out the door.

I would be proud to own one of their guitars and in fact hope to some day.

That said, used Guilds are undervalued. I don't know why they don't have the cachet of Martin or Gibson on the used market but they don't and you can find great deals. I think the Guild F212 is the greatest 12-string ever made.

3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Yes, the USA made Guilds are great and I agree with post above.
    They are seriously undervalued in the used market, which makes them a great players , working guitar.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Short answer, yes.
    Longer answer, hell yes.
    My local mom-and-pop has several recent used Guilds on the wall and they are all very nice and very reasonably priced. If I had the bucks, the 12-string they have would in my den as we speak. Excellent guitar.
    I had an F-30 until recently. Great guitar, but I traded it in for a Gibson Songwriter, which is simply amazing. I think the F-30 lasted two days in the shop.

5. Rod Parsons

That is really great news.. I was thinking about buying one over the net without playing it, so this is good news for me... The company has a 2- week free trial and a warranty is in effect from the seller.. I want a guitar that has everything it needs to play and sound great... I don't need any of the fancy ornamentation and I don't want to spend for that. Does the standard F-30 quality fit into that discription, or should I be looking at something else?.. Are the dreadnoughts made better, sound better, etc.... Thanks a lot.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Depends on what you're going to use it for. Traditionally, the smaller bodied guitars are good for fingerstyle and maybe light strumming. More balanced. If you're looking to move some air, and for deeper bass response, a dread is generally the way to go.
    But these things aren't set in stone. As a wise man once said, all things being equal, all things aren't equal.
    I would say that the Guilds I've had my hands on were very consistent so I can't say that the dreads are made better than the F-style guitars.

7. Rod Parsons

Thanks a lot everyone... I now need to go play some.... that is, unless I just order one online with the free 2 week trial..... For some reason, I need an acoustic to write songs, as I am a song writer. I love my Tele and Strat and other electrics, but I write my favorite songs with an acoustic.. and right now I feel that a new Guild just might inspire me a whole lot....

8. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The previous Tacoma-build Guilds were very very good, but the newer New Hartford models are even better.

Be careful ordering online. If you are not ordering from am authorized Guild dealer, there is no factory-backed warranty. My recent experience with my previous D55 has impressed upon me how important this can be...and why I am delighted with my NH-built D55 =)

9. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

As a long time Guild owner (Westerley), I think that the CT Guilds are fantastic. Even the GAD Chinese models are amazing quality and sound. The improvement started when Guild relocated from Corona to Tacoma, then even more when moved to CT (the old Ovation factory). The Corona ones are the only Guild era guitars where I found QC to be erratic.

10. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Old thread I know, but feel compelled to reply again...

The Guild we once knew has moved once again, this time to Oxnard, CA under the hand of Cordoba Guitars...Ren Ferguson is still involved, so good things can be expected. Factory is not up running yet but will be. Guild another casualty of the Fender/ Investment-banker system, but snagged up by Cordoba, a fine classical-guitar maker.

All that said, GAD's are still available and will be continuously, while many New Hartford-built Guilds were sold off during the second quarter last year, Cordoba has quite a few still, so they are available to approved dealers.

AND all that said, shall quickly give review of my present pieces...the NH D-55 I would classify as a great singer/songwriter guitar...easy player with medium strings, great "balanced" sounding guitar. My Guild F47R is a great sounding guitar in a really good size for jams and workshops...but its not a "dread," not quite the bass, but really nice.

Then comes the Collings D2H...I tried a number of Collings at a local dealer and was not impressed that I was hearing anything better than my (Tacoma-built) D55...I was lucky enough (Kharma shined upon me!) to win a Collings at the Kaufman Guitar Kamp I attended last year. For a Bluegrass-voiced guitar, one could not find one finer...it is THE one! An "HD28" to the nth degree. For the style, takes ones breath away! That good. Hard to imagine that the D55 and D2H, built from almost identical materials, sound so different...but they do!

Summation of all this. One must play a whole bunch of guitars before you find the one that really "speaks" to you!

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I bought one of the 'Arcos' series that were being blown out recently, World Music Supply has quite a few. They are MIM, and the Arcos means arched back, like so so many Guilds from the 70s on. For around $400 new with a hard/soft case, it is an incredible a/e value. Solid top, lam arch back--and the same great Guild sound--this coming from someone who has owned at least 6 Guilds since back in the 80's.

Worth looking into if you are thinking of getting a 'beater' a/e so you don't have to bring your Martin or Gibson out to the gig. Or if you are looking to step up from a Fender acoustic...lol

12. Muku

Muku Tele-Meister

Interesting that Guild is moving again, this time to Oxnard. That's 30 minutes away from me. I will see if they have tours?
    Always loved the Guild tone....
    One thing that I don't care for in some of their models is the longer than normal scale length.

Scale Length: 25.625" (650.8 mm), it is longer than what I am used to. Which is usually good for open tunings. But my short fingers like the frets a wee bit closer together. BTW: not that I own a lot but from what I see at Dream guitars etc.... a lot of 5-20K$ boutique hand builds are the longer scale length.

13. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

Good to hear they'll still be in production! I recently got my first Guild- a 1962 F-20. It's a phenomenal guitar. I'm hoping they reissue it so I can buy a beater version.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

My '76 USA-made Guild D-35 is every bit as good as my '71 Martin D-28. At about a third the price.

Undervalued then, undervalued now.

15. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I have a D-55, F-30 (Aragon Traditional) and an F-47RC - all New Hartford built. I think I grab the F-47 and F-30 twice as often as the D-55. The D-55 may sound marginally better, but the F-30 is a cannon in its own right.

16. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Seriously undervalued? From skimming their website it doesn't seem like Guild thinks so. These are some darn expensive guitars minus the overseas GAD series. I could never afford a new Guild, but they do seem a killer deal in the used market.

17. gibsonjunkie

gibsonjunkie Tele-Afflicted

I've also had the opportunity to tour the New Hartford factory, and given the amount of labor/effort/love that went into them I think they were worth every penny. Expensive, yes... but easily comparable to other guitars of that caliber.

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Muku, I'm in SB as well. I might need to check out the factory if they offer tours....

19. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

I am looking forward to seeing what Cordoba is going to do with the Guild brand. I play their classicals and have been very happy with them.

Fender Brands are increasingly being sent to Asia. I am glad that Guild went to Cordoba and not entirely China like Ovation.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.