Are the newer EHX pedals as good as the classic big box ones?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Sep 22, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

Just curious as I am not a big fan of present day EHX stuff, just haven't bonded with it, but I recall liking the old big box board-real-estate-consuming classic like DMM, Wiggler, Hot Tubes (12ax7), Electric Mistress, etc. Just seemed like great stuff but I don't bond with the current lineup.

Wondering if anyone else likes the newer reissue stuff as much as the old, or even some of the new designs that didn't exist in the big box format.

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

You know you are going to hear both sides of this.

The main difference is the parts they used and the various versions that aren't made anymore.

Personally, I played the Little Big Muff mainly because it actually fit on my pedalboard. It sounds like the big Big Muff Pi made today. In my opinion, it was okay but didn't get the sound I was going for--Gilmour lead tones a la Comfortably Numb.

I got a Vick Audio copy of the 73 Ram's Head Big Muff, and it nails it. I got this, rather than an original, on the recommendation of Bjorn from Gilmourish.com. He reasons that the old components don't sound like they used to, and it's difficult to find an original in good condition that sounds good for a reasonable price.

So long story short, yes the old ones were different. Whether they were better I'd up to your ears and how you use it. Some of the old ones may sound different from what they used to, and you can expect to pay a mint. There are plenty of reasonably priced copies that are excellent. The JHS Muffatella does them all.

3. Collin D Plonker

Sorry. I didn't address the ones you asked about. The Electric Mistress and DMM are good examples. Originals are super-coveted and do sound great. Some of our favorite classic rock tunes used those pedals. That said, I have a $40 Mooer Elec Lady that sounds killer too and just about gets the EM sound. A MRX Carbon Copy is an excellent analog delay. Same as above.

4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I love the old stuff (I used to collect it in the early 2000's) ... but realistically they weren't very well made, had lots of issues and I think the new stuff is better for most people. All those new nano sized muff variations are really good (and small, and cheap) .. You don't want to know how much I spent getting a couple of deluxe memory man's fixed and sorted out 15 years ago.

5. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

I just wrote it in the silicon fuzz thread, but I LOVE the Green Russian muff. It's funny to me though, that they had to put a lot of R&D into getting the tone of an old stock Big Muff circuit, and market it as a specialty item. I mean, the original green was made by Sovtek, to be sure, but it just illustrates how much things have changed over time, and how much those unobtanium components can matter.

6. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

I hope you don't mean r&d as research and developpement here.

Unless it's based on dsp, there's no pedal that has not bee rétroengineered by the diy community, especially Big muff which a consequent number were opened for tracing and component value question.

Btw sovtek is still mass standarized production, nothing really hard here.

There's litteraly nobody missing part in the pedal market today.

- there's still alternative références to germanium transistor.

- there's no magical part in an sound, nor mojo, you can Always tweak something to do the same thing.

- if a part is really needed, they will be made again (think xvive bbd ship).

- guitar players often don't really knows what's a real pita as parts, it's much worseto find J201 to work on some exact circuit and value, than finding germanium transistor in cintage style circuit and advertising it.

7. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

Short answer: Yes!
    Long answer: new shib is far better than the old shib!!! Old shib is great when it works!!!!!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

BB DMM vs DMMTT :
    Functions : DMMTT wins easy
    Sound : DMM wins, DMMTT not far though

BB DEM vs DEM XO (new green one) :
    BB DEM clear winner, but the XO is not bad at all (better than the Mooer)

BB Q-tron+ and BB Q-tron mini vs micro Q-tron :
    you're kidding, right ? the old BB kill the new stuff in one sec

What I have on my 2 boards : only mini Q-tron remained
    for DMM and DEM, I have found other brands that does close recreation of the old stuff but with the modern advantages (compact, true bypass, no hiss nor loss)
    I've kept the old BB as reference ;)

bluesholyman likes this.
  9. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

There's also a lot more consistency with the newer products. With old muffs, its not uncommon to find two of the same model that sound totally different. Maybe they were out of a certain cap that day and used a different value, maybe that run is using a batch of resistors they found for cheaper that wear out quicker, etc. Its a lot easier now to keep the parts consistent.

Edit - That's part of the magic in some of those old boxes though.

Ringo and bluesholyman like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The wooden boxes that the old Russian green pedals came in were certainly better than the cardboard ones they use today. Somewhere I still have the box a green Big Muff Pi came in.....the pedal is long gone, but the box lives on. ;)

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

QC have never been consistent at EHX. Some pedals work for years and others crap out for no reason. That said, the older boxes would be easier to fix, but the newer ones are cheap enough just to replace.

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  12. Collin D Plonker

I always wondered who would want the huge Big Muff. It would take half my board, and I bet the circuit board is about 2"x3".

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A bit bigger than that, but not as big as the enclosure , I bought a Big Muff from a coupon in the back of Guitar Player Magazine back in the 70s, played it for years, sold it ( was just a used pedal back then)
    Since then I've owned several other vintage BMP fuzzes, they are very inconsistent , some were ok, I had one that was magic sounding, don't know why I sold it. Same with vintage RAT pedals IMO.

I got one of the new mini Triangle Muff pedals a while back, it was ok but it didn't sound the same to me as the old good one did.

IMG_1334.jpg

Collin D Plonker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.