Are the Behringer stompboxes any good?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by CT SA, Feb 25, 2014.

1. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

One of the local stores round here is selling a range of behringer stompboxes for really cheap. Apparently the distributor has closed down and these are left-over stock. As a result they're going for really cheap, about a quarter of the normal retail price.

Is it worth it? I was thinking of getting an eq pedal, tremolo pedal and maybe an overdrive d pedal.

Are these plastic pedal gig-worthy?

2. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

I've had a few, the dd600 and the phaser. They were just fine, and the plastic really isn't an issue unless you literally jump on them. (even then, the switch on pretty much any pedal is bound to fail before the plastic casing does.)

Use a power supply, because they are a PITA to put batteries in.

how cheap are they priced at?

3. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

They're going for R150 (South African Rands) which is very cheap. As a comparison most Boss single stompoxes go for R800 to R1,300.

4. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

I've got one of their Boss-style compressors. It is, by a wide margin, the flimsiest pedal I have ever owned. The casing is very fragile, the potentiometers are not well secured, and the knobs are ready to fall off. Even the cheap stuff from Danelectro, Joyo, and Biyang inspire more confidence than Behringer.

That said, for the price it may be worth picking up. Even if the pedal fails, you're not out much cash.

5. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I ordered a vibrato pedal last year from MF because it was less than $20. It souded great, but after a few uses it developed a very loud hum, regardless of power source. It is pretty much useless now.

6. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

I had a Behringer Phaser, the switch broke after a couple of months.

7. HotRodJohnny

HotRodJohnny TDPRI Member

I had a Behringer amp a few years ago. If the pedals are anything like the amps, they are cheaply made and sound lousy. Don't waste your money.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The clones of the Line 6 echo and reverb pedals have some of the best tones I've heard. Same with the VB-2. Something about the circuits may not work well with all setups - high noise floor. Particularly with smaller combo amps (Deluxe Reverb and smaller). I use nothing larger than a DR, and had loud hiss, so I returned them. But still miss them.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I've have the Ultra Tremolo (UT300) and a digital delay (DD600) and one of their analog Delays (VD400) - all these are in the plastic cases. I've been using them for about four or five years and they all do what they say on the box. I've never had a problem with any of them and they work as well now as the day I got them. But better to use with a power supply because of the battery access which isn't great.

I have one of the metal cased Vintage Phasers (VP1) on my main pedal board (which I have given a true bypass mod) and that has also always been 100% reliable for me. I have owned a couple over the years that I have resold like the Vintage Time Machine Delay (VM1) and the EM600 Echo Machine both of which I sold because I didn't really like the sound of them - but I got them when they first came out and resold them fast so got most of my money back on both of those.

10. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

I am far from a pedal snob and am I all for cheap pedals! Saying that though my past experience with their pedals was less then stellar. Bought a couple and had noise or mechanical issues with them right away. Once I have had more then one issue with a company's quality control I just stay away. I think you are better off with the Chinese companies like Biyang and Caline if you want to go the cheap route. Or if you are really worried about gig reliable then you can't get better then used Boss pedals for that.

11. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

I'm all about cheap pedals but I agree with this. I've bought several used boss pedals for $20 bucks an just picked up a ce-5 for $15. I'm not sure if you can even break a boss pedal lol.

12. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I had one of their delay pedals DD400, I think, and it sounded artificial on pretty much any setting, so I ditched it. Also, one of the long delay settings was faulty and did literally nothing to your sound.

Got a TC Flashback instead and now my delay needs are sorted. :cool:

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I bought on of their pedal EQs. I turned it over to try to put a battery in, and all of the little plastic tips on the baby faders fell to the floor. It's like they didn't even try.

14. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

Got a Flashback last week, awesome little pedal.

15. CT SA

CT SA TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Consensus seems to be that the pedals sound decent, but the Q.C. is not really low. Think I'll go the 2nd hand Boss (or similar route) pedal.

16. doubbledeyed

doubbledeyed TDPRI Member

good day fellow guitarist
    I have the compressor sorry I forgot the exact model
    and the overdrive pedal ts 9 clone the model is TO-800
    if you want check the demo of intheblues in youtube for this overdrive.
    just take care of them they will last for a long time I am content with
    the sound I am getting I only use transistor amp.
    sorry for the English.
    GOD BLESS!!!!1

17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have the Reverb Machine pedal, which is basically the cheapest way I found to get a shimmer effect onto my board. Not the greatest, but I found it used for $22 (the battery clip didn't work, but reverby pedals eat batteries alive anyway) and it'll do fine till I stumble onto an abandoned Blue Sky on the sidewalk somewhere. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.