Are Telecasters like this really "purple"?

SpiderDevice

NEW MEMBER!
Hi everyone. I've seen some past threads about this but not from anytime recently. I've come across a few of these on Reverb while browsing regularly. The sellers purport them to be a "rare" purple or violet finish, but they look more like a faded Mystic Blue. Or, they could be MIM bodies with an American neck. Was this ever a color used on Teles in that time (the ones I've come across all seem to be from the early 90s, so at least that lines up)? Is it really purple/violet? How would one identify if it's real (i.e. a real American body rather than a MIM replacement)?

John C

Friend of Leo's
Fender calls this colour midnight blue.

Yep; and in person they were a very deep purply-blue color when they were brand new. With a little fading/yellowing there will be a little deviation in the color.

But anyone calling it "rare" would be mistaken - it wasn't the most popular color back in the day but I certainly saw plenty of them - probably more Strats though than Teles if I'm remembering correctly.

Cali Dude

Tele-Afflicted
Hi everyone. I've seen some past threads about this but not from anytime recently. I've come across a few of these on Reverb while browsing regularly. The sellers purport them to be a "rare" purple or violet finish, but they look more like a faded Mystic Blue. Or, they could be MIM bodies with an American neck. Was this ever a color used on Teles in that time (the ones I've come across all seem to be from the early 90s, so at least that lines up)? Is it really purple/violet? How would one identify if it's real (i.e. a real American body rather than a MIM replacement)?
I had a '90 American Tele that was a violet color. So, yeah, they did make that color in that era.

Martinp

Tele-Afflicted
didn't Fender sell a MIM standard in Midnight Wine in the late 80's early 90's? - they were kinda purplish leaning toward dark magenta