1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are strat players favouring LP's these days??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Del Pickup, May 26, 2011.

1. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I currently own 2 LPs, 2 SGs, an explorer, a 335, a Thunderbird and a old J-50. I have a strat, a Baja and an esquire. While I don't like the sound out of a single coil as much as a humbucker or even a P-90. My Fenders (especially the Tele) are my throw around, easy to get a good sound, guitar. I'm not worried about breaking it, it's comfy and easy to play and sounds good through about any amp. I saw a white Les Paul Custom, my dream guitar, at a GC in January and it looked like the nitro finish was running all over the front of it with over spray or that it was brushed on. Awful, orangey-brown runs all over it and they wanted close to $5k for it. I was told it was part of a limited run but that's just stupid. It seemed as if they were charging more money for someone's poor workmanship. I want a reason to put all of my guitars in their cases and just leave one out to play all of the time. Right now, I'm leaning toward a 50's RW Strat. I don't think that will cure my G.A.S. but that's my next major purchase. I like the neck and the P/Us. Gibson seems to be lacking quality control and just coming out with all kinds of limited runs as if they stay busy chasing their tales and throwing sh*t to the wall and hoping something sticks. I'm waiting for a K.U. signature Tele. I like the idea of a tough as hell tele with a tummy cut, nice top, binding and a good set of electronics. I'm not going to spend $$$ on a 40th Anniversay and I don't care for Keith Urban but that guy knows how to play and get a good sound. Just my $.02.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Steve Miller's last CD was a collection of old Chicago Blues tunes that Steve listened to live when he was younger. The whole thing is cover tunes. He played a variety of guitars on the CD to match the tones of the old players. I think he played a 335 on some songs. I don't think it means anything in the grander scheme. I just think it's a "now" thing.

I love my Les Pauls.
    I love my Strats.

Totally different tools for different jobs; both are great.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

4. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

i defintaly agree with the perfect tone.

dumb boy question but um whats a cocked wah? is it stuck in the middle position or all the way up?

5. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Exactly the same for me...played Strats for years, got the LP jones and purchased a LP Studio Worn Cherry, now I'm playing Tele's. I've had a '72 reissue Thinline for years and gigged with it lots, but just got an Xaviere XV-600 with P90's. I was playing the Xaviere through a Line6 Spider IV 30 last night with the headphones on and I think those P90's are some of the most articulate pups I've heard in a while.

I think it's a natural progression to go through various guitars...it depends on who I'm listening to at the moment. Was listening to Joe Bonamassa and got the LP, now I'm listening to Matt Schofield and wanted a fat single coil sound hence the XV-600 Tele copy. It never hurts to have many guitars in your arsenal!

6. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

i started on a squire tele custom with p90's and that was my main guitar for ages even after i bought a coulple actual fenders but one day i walked into a shop that had one of those epiphone les pauls with p90's in a tv yellow. i bought it on the spot because it really wasnt that expensive thinking it would make a nice backup guitar but it soon became my main guitar. the one thing that put it above my fenders was the neck. it is nice and fat and it's set. if fender made a tele custom with p90's and a set neck i would totally switch back over

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.