1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are strat players favouring LP's these days??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Del Pickup, May 26, 2011.

1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

All I know is that I'm having a hard time putting down my new Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute. There's something about those P-90s! And the quality is spot on.

Bob Arbogast

2. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Here are EC and SM on the show. Don't know if it's broadcast in the States?

3. shnitzl

shnitzl Tele-Meister

I don't think I'll ever change I'm a fender guy all the way I don't like the way lp's sit on my lap when I play I feel all cooped up. Fenders just feel more comfortable and I like the sound more gretches come in second place probably because of the sound but everyone is diferent

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I have an American Standard Strat '95, and an Am. Strd. Tele, '91, and a new Squire CV50 which I love more than either of those... My CV is a one peice pine and my Amer. Stand. Tele is... get this... a seven piece body with a wood laminate front and back. I have never liked the Les Paul and I've played an original 58 burst, and a 1960 custom. They both belonged to a guy named Teddy Spelios, who Hendrix once called the "The best guitar player in the world". That was in '67 when Teddy, the owner of these, played with John Hall who went on to form the group Oleans, and had several hits, and made huge amts. of money... Their band was called Kangaroo and John and Teddy, The "Greatest player in the world",lived with Jimmi Hendrix when they played at The Cafe Wha in Grenich Village, NY, in 1967....But.....Teddy also had an original Broadcaster, serial # 0027, that he bought in '67 from the "little old lady", whose son apparently died in Korea...He paid $200.00 for it. I know this because Teddy and I lived together in Linden Va. in a commune type house..His # 1 guitar was the Broadcaster by a long shot. If you want to hear the band Kangaroo, the Album, entitled Kangaroo was put out by Columbia Records in 1968... All he used was the Broadcaster.. I'm a Tele guy all the way... To me, it's trebly, spanky and cutting, compared to the more muffled sound of the Les Paul that has led to all the high distortion sounds, that I think has been way over done. Actually, I think the Tele does the distortion in a more musical way. Strats are great also... The sound is clear as a bell and of course the tremalo works well and sounds so cool. I record alot, so, though I love my Teles, it's important to have different sounds in each song for the interesting varieties. Still Tele all the way... By the way, my '95 strat is a five piece body with the laminate top and back... How cheap can ya get? My CV50 kills 'em both.. China.... I paid $320.00 for it new..If it said Fender in big letters on the headstock, Fender may have to start limiting most of their other models. The CV50 compares to the reissue custom shop '52 reissue, according to a heck of alot of threads on the Tele forum .. When I walk into a club and see a guitar player using a Les Paul, I only stay for a couple songs....Usually he's playing a Marshal Amp and usually it sounds like crap to me...When I walk into a club and see a player using a Strat or Telly with a Twin or Deluxe or other Fender amp, I will stay awhile.. That's just me... Thanks R.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  5. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

LOL, if you had a 59 Paul you'd play it too. Mark still flips back and forth all the time...he uses what serves the song.

6. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

i suspect the promotional line of thinking on EC and SM playing those guitars on that program is correct. simply because they both look brand-spankin' new.

7. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

Funny you should ask. I've always heard that Strats [and their clones] made up ~70% of the guitars sold world-wide. If you go to this site [http://www.guitar.com/home] LP's clearly seem to be in the lead. Probably says more about the viewership than the accuracy of the poll . . .

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Tele and 335 for me. Never bond with strat and LP :D

9. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting post - thanks!

10. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

Thats funny, my first "strat" was a Hondo too, but I have gone through many Fenders over the years, and currently I have 2 Gibsons (LP and SG)

11. blonde52

blonde52 Tele-Meister

Same here

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Rod, Really interesting comments. Pine was the original wood used in Broadcasters and the pups were Alnico 111. formvar wire in the the p/ups. were 43 and 42.No wonder everyone, like you, likes their CV Teles ( which cost $650 -$850 AUD. here even though our $ value has been consistently higher for months). It's our import taxes ! Grrrrrr! We blokes Downunder just wish we could get a Fender Squire CV at your prices. I use Tonerider TRT-2 p/ups that are correct in specs. and my business is growing because they are the correct p/ups. No more Alnico 5's for me. As to your comments re Gibson, my next build will be a Les Paul as the shorter scale lenghth makes for easier playing.P.S. An American Standard sould never be more than 2 piece at their price- sell it IMHO.

13. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I have all versions of styles. I started with a Strat (1971) but went to Gibsons, first the L6-S followed by the LP clone Yamaha SBG . Then I started anew with the Strat Ultra followed by semi-hollowbody Gibson ES-347. Then I got a Telecaster. I'm done.

Of course all these are gr8 guitars. I just hold on to my 'children', and that modus operandi has resulted in a never ending fountain of tone. I still have no real need for the humbucker sound, but on some songs they're perfect. So I usually will take two guitars, in case I break a string, because these guitars may be induced to sound like each other. The most versatile of the bunch is the Strat Ultra, in a HHS setup with a red dually Lace sensor bridge pu set, which has a great humbucker sound, but has the Strat quack, and easily the best tremelo I've ever had. The middle gold and the neck blue Laces can deliver way modern high output modern strat tone. Splitting the red Dually gives this guitar these very chimey quack tones in the 2nd position. This guitar is a custom shop designed model, very similar to the Jeff Beck model of 1991 without the bat handle for a neck.

The next most versatile is the Baja Tele, whose 4-way switch makes me forget about humbuckers, in the 4th position. It's another custom shop design that is hard to beat for the price. The 4-way switch is the best part. The twisted Tele neck pu is a classic sound on its own. The classic Broadcaster pickup is twanger central, where it all started.

The Gibson ES-347 and the Yamaha SBG2100 both have great action with ebony boards, and coil splitters which only approximate a single coil. But surprisingly I can get that Gibson to twang pretty good, but it is really an extreme setting. It sounds best in jazz, blues, and really heavy rock songs, due to the Dirty fingers HB's (called Series 7 pickups w/ gold covers). The Yamaha has the most sustain I've ever had in a guitar (Santana used this guitar). But it is one of the heaviest guitars, with the mahogany body and neck. The original spinex humbuckers are really biting and clear.

The L6-S is a forgotten Gibson, but was futuristic in that it had a six position Chickenhead switch that gives you series, parallel, two single humbucker positions and out-of-phase series and parallel positions (gee sounds like a Baja with humbuckers). It was equipped with super humbuckers designed by Bill Lawrence. The whole guitar was an effort to get a number of different sounds, for small amount of cash. And it succeeded.

The most iconoclastic guitar is the Stratocaster. It is all-american Strat. It has those CS '69 pickups, before they were called that. They were just Stratocaster pickups, at that time. Though I'll play smooth jazz and gospel, it is by far the best sounding guitar with overdrive and a wah wah, followed by the Strat Ultra. The biggest deficiency is the tremelo, made of that strange aluminum-maganese-steel alloy and it always goes out of tune.

I won't go back to those Gibsons unless the song asks for it. I tend to be an artist of sound using different colors of sound, always trying to sound good. I like the Fenders as much as the Gibsons for feel and ease of playing, though the ES-347 and that Yamaha are the heaviest guitars I own (I think they exceed 10 lbs each).

Thanks for reading. I can't believe the picture of Knopler with a Gibson, but I guess if you make a lot of money you will turn your back on what brung you. I think he plays them all the time including acoustics.

14. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

"Thanks for reading. I can't believe the picture of Knopler with a Gibson, but I guess if you make a lot of money you will turn your back on what brung you. I think he plays them all the time including acoustics."

MK doesn't play Gibsons all the time. He changes guitars for almost every song and there's often a strat or tele in the mix. He also plays a Martin (which I think is a signature model). He certainly plays his 58 and 59 LP's a lot though - and sounds very good in the process!

15. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

I, personally, have been playing my Lester more. I don't know why. I miss my CV tele though. I am always on the search for "the" tele. I have "the" LP for me though. I think the difference is too great to not switch from LP to strat once in a while.

16. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

i love the Les paul feel. i cant quite justify buying an epiphone though :( somehowit just feels fail. i really want a 335. got a strat and tele.

Actually id love a Dual Humbucker tune o matic stopbar tele

17. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Here is a guy who is known for his Strat sounds that also plays Les Pauls and makes them sound fantastic. Here he is on a real 58 LP.

18. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Anyone been able to nail that MK creamy tone? It sounds to me like the tone rolled back but with a bit of gain from a pedal (I saw somewhere that he has used a Crowther Hotcake but whether that's what he used in this song I have no idea).

It's one of my favourite LP tones.

19. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

He is using a wah wah cocked to a fixed position.

Thats the perfect tone to me I love it.

20. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

It is beautiful, the volume swells play a big part too, sooo expressive!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.