1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are strat players favouring LP's these days??

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Del Pickup, May 26, 2011.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Just a thought that ran through my head last night after seeing Steve Miller on the Jools Holland TV programme playing an LP on 2 of the 3 songs he performed.

And the last time Clapton was on that programme, he played an LP (presumably one of the new Beano models) on 1 song and a Gibson hollow body guitar on another song. Not a strat in sight!

So is this the start of a swing away from Fender tones towards the thicker Gibson bucker tones of the 60's???

Strangely enough I've also recently acquired an LP (albeit not a Gisbon!) but it's become my #1 since I got my hands on it a few weeks ago - even although I still love and play my 2 strats and tele as well. (Not that I'm trying to fool myself that I'm on the same level as Clapton or Steve Miller - before anyone reads that into that last sentence!)

2. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

I sure hope so.

*ducks

3. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

Personally, I started on strats and moved to LPs, and now I'm getting into Teles

4. Cameage

Cameage Tele-Holic

I started on a Hondo Strat copy, moved onto a Les Paul Jr Special, and (after a brief flirtation with an Explorer), got a Tele FMT...then another LP, then a Partscaster. So, I'm the same way, except mostly singular instead of plural.

5. Heavyweek

Heavyweek Tele-Meister

Ive never got on with LPs, always had a problem getting my hand round the bridge. Something wrong with my playing style I guess. I should try again cos the playing style has changed over the years.

6. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A change is as good as a rest they say...

Veering way off topic but...

Saw Alex Lifeson last night o2/London/Rush concert and he switched guitars a dozen times. Mostly LPs but a couple of PRS,the white ES obviously and a blackguard Tele!

Geddy only had about 3 Jazzies at least one of which was a Fender Custom Shop relic!

7. EZrider

EZrider TDPRI Member

I love having all three. Strat,LP and now Tele. My strat "Samick VA" is my travel,gig bag mod guitar. It was my first true left handed guitar. It feels good in my hands. Kind of like a old pair of handmade boots.

My LP "Agile 3100" was my dream guitar. Also lefty. The sustain and tone is amazing. Plays like a dream. Not to mention stunning. It stays in the man cave/studio. To heavy to lug around but worth it imo.

My tele "Agile TC-730" has been my new love. I waited awile for this model to come back in stock. Well worth the wait and im glad i didn't go Fender. What few lefty Fenders i found. Nothing came close to the build quality of the Agile. And i really hate to say that. Not to mention the $300 vs $600. I know there are nice Fender teles out there. I fondled them. But the price was way over my head.

So why not own all three ???

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

no they don't.

Steve Miller always played some kind of humbucker guitar (he even had an IBANEZ signature model or something in the 80s) & Clapton was never an exclusive strat player (he got fame & glory w/ a LP and a Marshall bluesbraker)

Strats will always be cool,teles cooler and LP's well....not so cool.....:D

9. Scott B.

Scott B. Tele-Meister

I'd strongly encourage you to do so, especially if you're primarily a Tele player.

I went Tele-less during the late 90's and most of the 00's and almost exclusively played a 335 during that time frame. When I finally got back to the Tele, the Tele's once comfortable bridge was suddenly the flattest surface I'd ever encountered in my life. However, that awkwardness quickly wore off within a day or two.

I'm sure it works both ways and that after an uncomfortable day or two you will suddenly notice that Lester's bridge is as comfortable as any other.

10. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Not this one!! PRS yes.... Gibby NO!

11. Phaedros

Phaedros TDPRI Member

Just sold my '96 Gibson LP HS for a '77 Strat - just couldn´t appreciate it enough to keep it around, love my ES335-clone tho and I'm lusting over a P90 SG Special...

12. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I think most players just like variety. They have their staple guitar, but most enjoy playing the 2 greats. In my opinion you have the Strat, and Tele for Fender. The Les Paul, and 335 with Gibson. I think like most things these guitars go in phases, but Gibson and Fender always stay top choices. I love them all and appreciate having best of both worlds.

13. Loco

Loco Tele-Afflicted

I think that's a question would have to be asked of both EC and SM for a definitive answer. Personally I think the answer is probably no, having seen lots of Fenders being used by other players in subsequent programmes. Have to say, it was great to see (and hear) both men with Gibsons for a change.

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I think a lot depends on which company is paying them to advertise their guitars at that moment in time.

15. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Friend of Leo's

EC was playing Les Pauls a long time before he was playing Strats. Ever heard the Beano album?

16. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

I went the other way, started with a LP and gibsons and switched to strats.

17. Big Burly

Big Burly Tele-Meister

I think Gibson is aggressively seeking out guitarists who are either very popular at the moment or are legendary to at least play their Gibsons if not full-on endorse them.

Gibson has had a bad reputation lately, and their CEO is a bit of a putz. They have made some weird guitars, and they have had quality issues.

Notice how the "freecreditreport<dot>com" commercials changed "bands," and when they did, the new "band" plays Gibsons exclusively. The old band was Fender all-the-way.

Gibson is working on all levels, from grass-root (endorsing guitarists to play Gibson guitars), to full-blown guitarist endorsements (that Nickelback guy, etc), to big commercials like I mentioned to get their brand recognition up.

18. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Since Les Paul was one of Steve Miller's parent's best friends and is, in fact, the person who gave him his first guitar lessons, I would bet that he has been playing Les Pauls from the beginning.

And as others have said, Clapton played Les Pauls long before he became a well known Strat player.

19. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

Fender is a much bigger and better run business than Gibson - if you were at NAMM this last January, this difference was on display, big time. Fender is a giant in the industry, Gibson is just a well-known old name.

That of course doesn't direct affect musician's preferences - but it does affect promotional activities and budget!

20. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are strat players favoring Les Pauls?

This one obviously does.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.