Are Strat Pickups Noisier than Tele Pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Leon Grizzard, Oct 30, 2020.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m with Paulie Boy - I’ve done some good shielding jobs in the past, and that helps with some noise, but a good ol’ Boss NS-2 completely kills the rest and doesn’t get in the way of my tone or notes ringing out it it’s set properly.

2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC TDPRI Member

In my noisy NYC apartment, shielding didn't help much, Neither does going wireless. A noise gate sure helps.

3. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

The pick ups that were in there are made by Andrew Pribora. When I got the pickguard wired up, I plugged it in to make sure the right pickups went with the different switch positions. It was quiet. After I put the pickguard on the body and strung up the guitar I plugged it in and there was pretty bad hum. I sit in the very same chair at the very same place with the very same cable and amp and don't get hum with my Tele.

I had to practice to get ready for a fiddle session I go to, went to that, went to the grocery store, came home and fixed dinner, then went look to for a missing cat, and here we are.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  4. Leon Grizzard

It's not as bad as I first thought, with my disappointment coloring my evaluation. I plugged a tele with Cavaliers in and it was dead quiet. The strat has a little hum but not really that bad, although I don't have any neon or fluorescent lights like I might in a bar. I'm going to finish my set up now that the strings have broken in some and see what I think then.

5. Leon Grizzard

I got it set up today. It took a while, not only because of my lack of skill, but the neck had a slight dip on one side of the heel. Maybe caused by the shim that was thicker on the other side than the dipped side. Lesson to self: look more closely. But I got it shimmed so it sits almost straight across; maybe I'll fool with it some more, although it plays pretty good now.

However, still buzzes. My bandleader is - what is the word: sensitive? Maybe this will just be a house guitar. My other strat has Fender noiseless pickups, which I think sound pretty good, especially in a bar. Don't want to put pricey noiseless pickups in a $450 guitar.

6. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

Gimme a break!!

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't have thought of using a noise gate for SC pickup hum but bought one a few months ago for dirt pedal hum & hiss.
    Remarkable to be dead silent when not playing!
    Took a while to choose a product in the confusing internetscape, but I went with what seemed to be considered the best one and also the best one for gear dummies.
    Some have lots of knobs and even plug in to your computer to tweak settings to within an inch of their life.

Bought the isp Decimator G string that has just one threshold knob.
    Super easy to just set it where your sustain is enough vs no noise.

My sense of Fender SC hum and other annoying buzz etc is that the guitar itself, where I stand, and really the venue all have some measure of control over how quiet I am when not playing.
    I like using silence and the noise gate is a handy tool to enhance that!

Are we certain that rigs never get noisy when using noiseless pickups?
    Seems like noise comes from other places too, right?
    I just haven't spent much time with noiseless pickups, but am pretty sure SC hum is only one in the army of noise gremlins?

8. bieworm

bieworm TDPRI Member

Embrace the noise. My best sounding guitar is also the noisiest. A jazzmaster..

9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

they don’t hum but they still catch buzz in the wrong environment, shielding can only do so much. in my old studio I had to turn to just the right angle to stop picking up noise from the wiring. I don’t think the kinmans have as much of the same problem due to the internal claw though.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

There's all kinds of tricks one can use on stage to mitigate the noise. During a song you shouldn't be hearing it, if you are something isn't right in your guitar. Between songs or if there is a passage you aren't playing turn the volume knob off. Alternatively use a volume or tuner pedal or similar to cut signal between songs.

If you watch videos of seasoned performers you might catch that most of them instinctually spin the volume knob immediately when they stop playing for any amount of time.

11. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

No.

That being said, you haven't heard 60 cycle hum until you've played a Jazzmaster.

12. Leon Grizzard

Good tips

13. Leon Grizzard

Okay. Played a porch concert this weekend; at a newish house with code wiring, not a neon and fluorescent light bar environment, but at least it was at actual playing volume. There was some noise, but not at all noticeable once we started playing.

I like positions 2 and 4 for rhythm. Very clean. I have a neck-on wiring switch but was really clumsy with it.

These are not my pickups, or at least not the sound I want. They are Alexander Pribora Hot Customs, and they are too hot for me. I take to heart the suggestion to lower them some, but with the scarcity of real gigs these days, for us at any rate, I'm leaning towards replacing them, probably with something like Bootstraps as opposed to SDs. It would be nice to have bridge PU with something tilted a little towards the Tele sound, but the Strat bridges on both my Strats sound like single coil bridges. I don't need to imitate Luther Perkins.

I did put a new neck on the guitar: a rosewood board Deluxe Player's Strat neck, with a 12" radius. It feels really wide and comfortable for the most part, but it's taking some adjustment.

Now I need to learn how change switch positions and the ergonomics of the picking hand. Very, very different with that volume knob. It's coming

14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

maybe but a strat is different in wiring.
    you have more wire, more pots, so maybe more noise from a strat.

15. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i don't solder, because my tape seems to have conductive glue.
    but within the control cav i use double layer.
    when you don't want that, but only alu shield, i use some copper tape that has conductive glue than i make some little stripes like on the on Eddy van Halens guitar an do some lining across the alu tape so they are connected.
    and end at least on beneath the volume pot.

this is a test run i did on a cheap guitar

[​IMG][​IMG]

good reading stuff from Bill Lawrence
    http://billlawrence.com/Pages/All_About_Tone.htm/TeleLovers.htm
    http://billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/External Interference.htm

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Wallaby likes this.
  16. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.