1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Strat Pickups Noisier than Tele Pickups?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Leon Grizzard, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

As a proud new Strat owner, I've been reading about possible replacement pickups for the ones that came with my 2d Strat. In looking here and Strat-Talk, it seems like there are more posts or complaints about hum than I see here about Teles, although maybe since I'm happy with my Tele pickups I just don't look much a pickup threads.

Are Strats inherently noisier? Is it because there are more high gain players with Strats? Or what?

I'm getting concerned I ought to be looking at some kind of noiseless if I get new pickups. I'm playing old country and western swing, trying out the Strat to provide a different voice to the other Tele player in the band.

I have Fender Noiseless, now Vintage Noiseless as I understand it, in my first Strat, and think they sounded pretty darn good at the one gig I've played them at.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My experience is that Tele's are noisier. I seem to always go through some shielding pains to get a Tele type quieted down.

Ringo likes this.
  3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm with Schmee on this, most of the Telecasters I have owned with single coil pickups were noisier than the Strats I've had with single coils.
    You will get some 60 cycle noise with pretty much any single coil, some venues / places are worse than others, I don't really have an issue with it.
    I will say that of the noisefree Strat pickups that I have tried, I like the Fender Hot Noiseless the best, they aren't really "hot" pickups IMO.

4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

good job with copper shielding tape will remove almost all of the noise on a tele or a strat. I don't know why a tele would be noisier than a strat. If anything I would expect the opposite since the tele neck pickup has a grounded cover and the tele bridge plate surely does some kind of shielding work.

mojek likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

But if you want noiseless pickups, think about the Dimarzio Area series. They sound great.

Audiowonderland, thxphotog and mojek like this.
  6. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Get a noise gate.

PaulNYC and mkdaws32 like this.
  7. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

I usually play a Strat in 2nd and 4th switch position (rear/middle and middle/neck), and Tele in the rear position, so the Strat is usually quieter due to this.

PBO Blues likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My guess is Strat players are just more whiny, where Tele players are more manly men or on some cases manly ladies.

I may be a durn fool but I'd think any old timey music will survive old time Strat hum.
    I agree it's annoying as hell to have to stand in a quieter position but I've just not found hum free pickups I like and got tired of improving guitars when I'm running out of years to play them.

I did put a Firebird pickup in a Strat right next to the normal Strat bridge pickup which gets me a pretty similar yet not faked sound without hum. Firebird pickups have a narrow bright clear sound sort of like a Strat, but not a synthetic Strat sound that Strat shaped hum cancellers seem to have.

Guess I could keep swaping in Mr A's and Mr B's fave fake strat pickups but I've tried lots of suggested stuff I didn't like, so I seldom buy because some other player likes something.

Players that need silent pickups must have reasons and maybe didn't have to ask once they made that choice.
    If you can live with the old tools I'm pretty sure none of the new ones sound like the old ones but silent.

Those large hum cancelling coils that go under or in the guard seem promising, I forget what they're called.

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

None of my guitars are noisy.

mojek likes this.
  10. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve never been aware of any difference

11. Leon Grizzard

Makes sense that a single coil would be like other single coils. I don’t have any noise issues with my Teles.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Shielded wiring from the pickups throughout the guitar to the jack will get rid of a lot of RF noise.
    Shield tape: Copper is good, but aluminum HVAC tape is cheaper and works just as good. It also has the hidden benefit of lessening or completely nullifying 60 cycle hum if enough of the aluminum tape is used. Line the entire cavities and the entire back side of the pickguard and you won't have to buy noiseless pickups.

Firebird and minibuckers are great replacement pickups for Strats because they are more like single coil pickups when it comes to sound compared to the larger humbuckers and the humbucking pickups do take care of almost all the noise problems. A Strat single coil in the neck has a great tone, but a Firebird in the neck sounds awesome.

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Telecaster and one of my Strats have Noiseless pickups. 60 cycle hum was maddening. My FCS ‘69 Stratocaster has CS ‘69 pickups and the hum is just barely audible. Maybe the Fender Custom Shop does a better job with shielding. Maybe it’s the low wind pickups. If my other single coil guitars were that quiet, they’d still have their original pickups.

14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

My strat is noisy as hell unless my palm is on the bridge. Way more than my tele. I might have to do some investigating.

15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hi, Leon!

My Strats and Tele are all quiet. Maybe it's because they're all shielded.

The Tele has Fender's so-called Vintage Tele pickups.

One of my Strats has Fender '57/'62 pickups.

The other has Fralin Vintage Hots.

If I were going to buy new Strat pickups, they'd probably be Fralin Real 54s, just because my Vintage Hots sound so sweet. Lindy is a fanatic about sound and knows how to make good ones happen.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. Leon Grizzard

I just got the Strat in question wired and strung up today; been too busy to try it out. We'll see manana how it sounds.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Shielded cable to the jack. No, twisting the two wires does nothing -- otherwise we'd use twisted wire all the way to the amp.

Aluminum flashing tape the cavities and pickguard to create the famous Faraday Cage. Copper works ok, it looks fantastic and why it's used the most, but aluminum performs better. Google the cell phone and computer research papers.

A Tele bridge pickup with a baseplate has more shielding than a Strat pickup. I've lined the inside of Strat pickup covers and used a jumper to the pickguard shield before.

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Regarding the use of Aluminum - isn't it difficult to solder?

Or is there a way to use it that doesn't require soldering?

I've been curious about this for a while but haven't found and answer yet so I thought I'd ask.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've got 3 Teles, 3 Strats, and find no difference in noise between any of the 6. I shielded one of the Teles long ago after some e-mails with Bill Lawrence. It was my own pointless exercise, as the guitar wasn't noisy before or after the shielding.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

What pickups did you use?

Standing by for full report. . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.