1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are stiffer guitar necks better?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DugT, Jan 17, 2021.

1. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

I've been really enjoying the thin (19m 12mm) neck on a new shredder guitar that I'm borrowing. Today I noticed that it is by far the most flexible neck of the six I own. Is that big disadvantage for stability and tuning or anything else? Last night I decided to buy a guitar like this one but maybe I should get a guitar with a stiffer neck.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sometimes it seems, and I mean this in the least offense way I can put it, that the questions you ask are very subjective. I realize you're trying to glean knowledge from a collective experience but that's like asking a lot of old men "Which is better, chocolate or vanilla?"

There is no correct answer to this kind of question. The answer is, perhaps, "which is better to YOU?".

ragamuffin, SacDAve and DugT like this.
  3. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think flex is good. The neck on my Tele is stable & solid.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I thought all guitar necks were stiff.

5. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Yes...I don’t understand ‘stiff’ neck, unless you’re talking about me after a long jam.

39martind18, DeepDangler and Torren61 like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I prefer a stiffer neck. Schecter makes some thin necked models with carbon rods in the neck.

rz350, Steerforth and DugT like this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Ask Carlos.

Unknown.jpeg

SacDAve likes this.
  8. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

irie and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I much prefer a stiffer neck for stability purposes. Tuning stability is better, as is holding its setup through weather/temperature/humidity changes.

I have an ESP LTD that I love, but is extremely unstable. Every season change it needs a ton of adjustment, and sudden changes are huge PITA. A couple winters ago I had a house gig where I was standing right inside the front door. Every time somebody went in or out I got blasted with freezing air and the guitar would go totally sharp. My tele and Les Paul are not nearly as susceptible to this stuff.

The most stable guitar I own is a Yamaha acoustic. It’s got a five piece laminate neck (longways) and it’s completely weather and temperature proof. I’ve owned that thing for three years and have never had to touch the truss rod since its initial setup. I can play that thing out in the sun, or outdoors in fall, or out by the fire where the front of it is hot and the back is freezing cold. That neck will. Not. Move.

I’m revisiting the idea of ordering a shreddy guitar. If and when I do, I’m going to order it with 5-7 piece laminate neck specifically for stability.

Lots of companies now (like Charvel and Kiesel) are also building in graphite composite stringers inside the necks. For added stiffness and stability.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Wallaby and DugT like this.
  10. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Here is a good example of one of my subjective questions and why I asked it. Earlier I asked "Which guitar looks better". If most here thought the guitar I liked was ugly I wouldn't buy it because resale value is important to me.

This question I think is less subjective. I believe stiffer guitar necks are better for performance based on science. If that is correct maybe I will not buy a guitar like this.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to look into them. Carbon fiber is so stiff and light, I'm surprised it isn't common in guitar necks, especially thin one. For the best stiffness to lightness ratio, a neck would have carbon laminated on the back of it,

stormsedge likes this.
  12. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't think about stuff like this, but a carbon fiber truss rod should help...

13. Jakedog

As I mentioned, many have carbon or graphite stringers internally.

This is the type of laminate I’m talking about. This type of construction makes shreddy thin necks a lot stiffer and more stable.

C3B6C55E-D5B5-4C96-BF79-62CF35256ED2.png

stormsedge likes this.
  14. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Modern quality thin necks usually have carbon reinforcement. Older thin necks were prone to more movement when the weather/humidity changed. That being said, I had an Ibanez Prestige and the neck never gave me trouble.

DugT likes this.
  15. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

A good stiff girthsome neck and rigid join to the body and no twist is about 99% of what I like in a guitar.

boris bubbanov and RobRiggs like this.
  16. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I’ve heard both schools of thought. Randy Fulmer won’t use carbon or titanium rods in the necks of his bass guitars. He thinks a bit of subtle neck movement or vibration adds a lot to the sound. I’ve got Ibanez 6 and 7 string guitars with carbon fiber reinforced multi lam necks that are extremely stable in terms of sensitivity to temperature and humidity. They sound spectacular too. I’m thinking it’s personal choice.

Jakedog and Torren61 like this.
  17. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

My flexible neck has two 1/4" thick walnut stringers and an ebony board. It is neck-through construction so maybe it is flexible because it is thin for two more inches than a bolt on neck.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Jakedog likes this.
  18. Jakedog

What guitar, specifically, make and model, are we talking about?

19. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

If a neck is able to be reinforced then that's never a bad thing. It allows you to carve any backshape. That's why I love the Hagstrom H designed truss rod

20. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

My SG is a super narrow neck and very thin all the way up the fret board. If it was my only guitar I wouldn't be happy, but I love to pick it up and play it for variety and it is super fun and fast playing. That is an enjoyment in itself; to have variety, and the reason I don't see ever selling it.

As far as flex or stability, it's a solid neck, and stays in tune, so I don't have any complaints.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.