Are radar detectors much of a thing anymore?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 29, 2018.

1. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm surprised there's not a phone app for radar detecting. Maybe there is...

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We were on US 60 headed west towards Vicksburg Junction (LaPaz Co, AZ) and about 45-50 Porsches came flying by, going 110 + to our 85 mph. And a few minutes later, the local gendarmes had managed to pull over 4 of the most brightly colored ones. They were all wildly over the limit.

I didn't mind the speeds they were running. But I can see how this would be more than some motorists could manage. The "average" driver is just not that good. And this is the road one would use to get away from the faster traffic on the Interstate itself.

As these guys flew by me, my girlfriend looked over at me and said "your brakes are not up to par with them". I sighed. She was so right. She was paying attention, to all that car talk.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

That's why I love adaptive cruise control. I do my best to always leave early enough to take bad traffic into account so I'm hopefully never late and enticed to bat-out-of-hell it. I get in the right lane and set the cruise for 4 mph over the limit. If everyone in front of me is going faster... so be it... I'm not parked in the passing lane so people can pass me. If everyone in front of me is going slower... that happens sometimes... my adaptive cruise control will match their speed while keeping me at a respectable distance so people can merge in and out as needed. It gets me and my family to where we need to be safely and if people have a problem with me ONLY going 4 mph over the speed limit... well that is their problem... not mine. =)

PacificChris and nojazzhere like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's enough to restore your faith in petty vindictiveness.
    I keed, I keed!

5. boris bubbanov

The cops are just doing their job. I imagine that all those Porsche guys have thousands in cash on their person and a couple very well connected attorneys on speed dial.

I think, Sammy and Joe should have said, you can drive any speed you like so long as you have a deep checkbook.

6. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I do the same on Motorways here in the UK, speed limit 70mph, average speed probably 80 mph, nobody gets done for less than 82 mph.
    During my stint in my last company with a Skoda VRS (!) I just made sure i wasn't the fastest on the "highway".

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A couple of tips from someone who used to be in law enforcement.

1. Detectors only help you against a couple of the methods to track speeds...there are others out there in use that you will never be aware of.
    2. If the officer sees your detector on a traffic stop, you will get a ticket every single time. No hope of a warning.
    3. There is no such thing as a speed limit. It remains the posted speed limit, but it is up to the officers discretion if you are travelling at a safe speed. If they decide that the weather dictates slower driving or maybe your vehicle appears less than adequate for a particular speed, they can issue a citation regardless of if you were under the posted limit.
    4. If you see a speed limit sign on a yellow background...it is merely a suggested speed and nothing more, but again, take note of point number 3 above.

I think the age of detectors have passed on, except for maybe truckers. They are unreliable, inneffective against other "hidden" methods and create a false safehood that encourages greater speeding. Just set your speed according to the flow of traffic and you will be fine.

RLee77, FenderLover, Big_Bend and 2 others like this.
  8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am an engineer, and I understand intimately how the transmit and detect system works. I am not particularly impressed with your characterization, naturally, and I'm far from 20-something. And your friend is still incorrect. There are of course scenarios where his instant-on laser can catch someone if our friend hasn't used the laser in a while, but laser light scatter is quite powerful and the detector is very, very sensitive. And no offense, but working with engineers doesn't make you one. I work with women, haven't a clue how they operate. :eek:

9. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, I think that's true too. I have found myself doing the same thing, and bingo there they are. Maybe some kind of unconscious pattern recognition?

I think I'm just in a general area in the Southeast where it's big business for the locals. They are out every day.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

If you boldly leave it up there in his face, and then say "may I be let off with a warning?", he's gonna point to the detector and say "You got your warning". One buddy of mine always tried this and always got that ticket.

But I think, if you put it away quickly, and you politely rebut the officer's assertion you were speeding, you can back him down. I've done it a number of times. Your objective is to make him feel like you're really well prepared and are going to be a pain to get a conviction on. You don't ask to be let off - you gently but firmly remind the officer that you're effectively more trouble than you're worth. Am I skewing the example because I'm "part of the tribe"? Maybe. All I know is I've gotten away clean from numerous stops where the officer had to know I was using protection. Had to know. I think my biggest "downside" was I attempted to get rid of some speed by pulling on the handbrake - and I damaged the pads and rotor one time when I bungled it (the guy let me off). So two new rotors, sets of pads.

My other friend had a big Ford custom van and we ran Police Scanner, CB radios and two concealed radar detectors, that could be discretely turned black or turned off. Sometimes we got stopped, and we did run really hard, and I think we got grudging respect from the officers. My friend kept saying, "we do Everything we can to fully appreciate the conditions we're driving in" so that if the police are working an accident up ahead, road construction, we're already way backed down and getting the word out there. Or if there's a mattress or sofa fallen in the road. Wide awake driver and second chair. Plenty of caffeine, no alcohol whatsoever. No hippie vibe. I was really impressed how often it worked. I do remember when we did hit that deer in Lauderdale County and the officer said "I know you guys - you run pretty hard!". We said yeah, strangely, we were being overtaken when the deer ambushed us - we weren't for once going that fast.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Big_Bend likes this.
  11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You are a repeat offender, habitual law breaker. But you know a lot about cars and driving so the fact that you are an admitted, habitual lawbreaking repeated offender shouldn't concern me in the least. You kind of put yourself above the rest of us. Wait...you are an attorney.

It doesn't sound any better to me when I type it than when I read it. Am I messed up or what?

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I don’t really speed because I’m never in a freaking hurry and it’s not worth the safety risks.

And I’ve always been this way, but...

When I drove to Florida from NYC, the longest distance I ever did, if you didn’t speed beyond the marginal amounts, it felt like you were standing still.

So I guess the amount of hours behind the wheel at one time has a lot to do with it.

13. boris bubbanov

Well, as we know, people who are accused of doing things that are bad, are presumed innocent until we put them under the jailhouse. If the statute of limitations has run and there's nary a conviction.........

I like my odds, better than the odds of some people I know.

:^

TheGoodTexan and william tele like this.
  14. william tele

I don't begrudge you a thing, BB. And god knows you're a smart, interesting, almost an over informed guy. But when you say some of the things you do, to me I read it as kind of a disconnect. The big shock isn't that a lawyer may be a chronic, habitual law breaker, but that they would admit and post it on a board is kind of a head scratcher. The shock isn't that someone would have a burr up their atz for an import car brand...but to promulgate the belief that there is a definable "personality" affixed to those who buy that car is a reach.

And I don't mean to be insulting, actually. I seriously could enjoy a couple of beverages discussing these same things with you in person.:)

15. boris bubbanov

I think people are just meant to function on different frequencies.

I'm kind of flattered, that you think that most lawyers are meticulous about obeying laws that are nonsensical or oppressive. Most lawyers are "just people" and so they find ways to "beat" the law, in the timeframe prior to getting the law fixed right. These are not laws of "Moral Turpitude". This is like a law where it is illegal to put too much alcohol in beer in some states, or it is illegal to keep chickens in your yard in some places. This is not Buchenwald.

16. william tele

And you exponentially amplify the signal...:lol:

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  17. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

My wife's grandma got a ticket for speeding. She asked if there was a discount for pensioners; needless to say the copper had no sense of humour.

Mr Scallywag likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

like most things... the concept of law splits people in two--> are laws strict rules to be followed without variance or are laws guidance to protect us knowing that situations will dictate variations... in an earlier post a law enforcement person says the posted limit is simply a suggestion that the officer will determine what the conditions will accept, right? So, if Johnny Law can interpret the conditions and then even if we follow the sign, we can get cited...

consistently the spirit of speed laws is 'what is safe for conditions'... the unspoken part is 'dependent upon skill of driver and efficacy of driver'.... since at least half the population is literal and focused on the number not the more complex (and accurate) calculus... we have the disparity.

Boris and his crew drive as part of their living, know conditions and have much more experience than the majority of drivers... I get that in some perverse 'egalitarian' view that the literal number applies to all, but in an even more advanced sense of fairness and equity.... the people who can do, are allowed to.

I drive the 101 every day to work. It is busy and crowded and out where I do the first 20 miles, we all go 80. Even the CHP does. When it clamps down for 3 miles near cochrane road, we wait, then we have a run of about 8 miles at 80. I feel safe and comfortable at that speed. The traffic is packed tight with motorcycles sliding through even at those speeds. It is posted at 70 and 65... it is a guide for the guests and the passers through, but for the people who do it every day.... like a school of fish, we get it and it works.

I see a lot of the same vehicles all the time... this stuff is like a community norm. When we go other places (and we do with regularity) you can learn the local custom quickly and easily and conform without too much effort... when I am without experience, I look for the guide and start there... I kind of find it refreshing that people can share their experience honestly... and realizing that when we see a sign with a number, some see a rule, some see a guide.... the police are the same, half see a rule and half see a guide.... it is one of the nuances of our world... the same exact piece of metal represents two different things depending on how we see the world.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it helps if she removes the cigarette with the long ash before she asks!

20. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

The last ticket I had was 5 years ago. I was 41. I was driving my Prelude... lowered suspension... racing wheels/tires. I had the windows down and the sunroof back... and my ballcap on backwards. I was traveling 55 in a 45 on a local backroads highway near my house.

I'm convinced that the backward hat added to my ensemble, because the officer questioned my age when I handed him my license. "You're 41?" "Yessir." I don't think he believed me. He asked me to step out of the car because it was so low, so I did, and we spoke for a few minutes. He was nice enough, but still gave me a ticket.

I wasn't giving a hippie vibe, but I was giving a vibe... maybe a ricer vibe? ...although I never had that bumble- bee-in-a-tin-can exhaust.

I sold the Prelude last month. I already miss it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.