1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Professional Sports Waning?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Our common experiences are growing ever less frequent. Mass media used to be a place where everyone got information and was entertained. (How many of us of a certain age watched Disney on Sunday evening on Monday Night Football when it was on ABC?)
    Now we can pick and choose when to watch whatever is on offer.

Still, as recently as 2014 (the last time I visited family in the US) the common touch point among my male cousins and uncles was football. My dad is a huge Penn State fan and my brother lives in Pittsburgh and loves the Steelers.

I had nothing to say in those conversations. I stopped liking American Football after Joe Theisman's injury and after reading Jack Tatum's memoire, Hit Man. It stopped being a game when injuring your opponent started being an important strategy.

All in all, I would say this year is a bad one to base any judgment. However, I think the trend is away from shared experience and toward private experience.

Daniel

Rocky058 likes this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve pretty much lost interest in all pro sports. I will watch golf occasionally. The others not do much. It’s been a “losing interest” thing for many years. I’m still a college football fan and bleed burnt orange when cut. Hopefully that won’t change

The end of the NBA, NFL, & MLB would not really change my life

I cheer for the Texas Longhorns and ANYBODY that plays against OU, Notre Dame, the Dallas Cowboys, & the NY Yankees

3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

To me, the only good thing about professional team sports is that the players have started using the medium as a means of promoting social awareness (often to an audience who are least likely to get the message in other ways). Otherwise, it's just bread & circuses.

drlucky, DNestler, imwjl and 2 others like this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not me. That picture has much more hair. :lol::lol::lol:

5. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

Professional sports is a metaphor for modern society & capitalism which both are in decline.
    Look at the average pro sports operations: The owners obtain what I call 'welfare for billionaires' to build giant stadiums & arenas with the benefit of tax payer dollars. The teams have their stars on their rosters that are lavished with extraordinary salaries via contracts. The biggest majority of the team players don't get that kind of attention. Everything is money driven but it only benefits a very few with the really big bucks; the owners, the top level team star players, and that's it. The others get the crumbs. This all creates a cult of personality. It is no wonder younger folks are not interested in sports for the physical benefits, and for the fun of the game; the majority see sports as nothing more than a way to possibly become enriched. You can only go so far with any concept until it plateaus & then eventually declines. All of the above has also happened with giant corporations & business too. The giant sports teams actually learned all of their business tactics from the large corporations. It's pretty obvious, that is if you can see the forest for the trees but then a lot of folks are really good at fooling themselves, and then others are even better at lying to themselves. When a society is nothing more than money driven, everyone pays attention, and they want a piece of that pie. Over time money becomes the only thing that matters & folks lose genuine interest in whatever it was that folks used to be genuinely interested in. When you get to that point then what do you have left?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    drlucky likes this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

:oops::oops::oops: (meekly) yeah, maybe... :lol::lol::lol:

7. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

One of my brothers was a scholarship college player and made it to the last cut with the NE Patriots and the NY jets, back in the 80s. He has some issues we are all worried about, neurological and cognitive.

8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

My older son and I watch racing together, IndyCar, NASCAR, F1, World of Outlaws, drag racing etc. I haven't watched much football since I was a kid in the 70's, just doesn't interest me. Other than a couple of hockey games and minor league baseball trips with our Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts, I don't pay any attention.
    My sons both played basketball and learned karate as kids, but other than keeping in shape, they don't watch either.

9. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

How do you measure success?

I'm sure the money was still increasing. Maybe the total number of people interested were increasing.

But I think the percentage of people interested was decreasing. There are more options for entertainment. There are more things to do and people are busier.

Add in the current social economic climate, and ratings definitely are down. But if you look at the numbers, they aren't down significantly. For instance, if the stock market was down then same amount as TV ratings are for sports, I wouldn't even notice.

However, personally, I stopped watching sports a long time ago. I lost interest in the games, I can't stand the commercials, and I don't have time to sit around for the duration of a game. The live venues have priced themselves beyond my means and I don't care.

I do enjoy e-sports, but only if it is a game I used to play. Since I don't have time for competitive online games anymore, my viewing of e-sports has stopped as well.

Summary: Sports are probably on the decline for total percent of people interested, but not likely to disappear any time soon. They money is still there, but things could change quickly.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    drlucky and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Wish I had the data analytics, they can do what the want, we will see what the fan base decides, I'm done. NFL,MLB,NBA, NASCAR and even god forbid the NHL...... No tickets, No TV, No merch, Im done.

Junkyard Dog and Pualee like this.
  11. CajunJ

CajunJ Tele-Holic

Football was life for my friends and I in high school. But thinking how violent we were with helmet-to-helmet contact makes me shake my head. I have buddies who had nerve damage, concussions, knee problems, etc. from football. Yes, we loved it, but was it worth it? I wonder if the safety awareness is causing parents to not do as many contact sports for their kids. If I had a son, I’m not sure I’d let him play. Never thought I’d say that.

12. maxvintage

from a historical perspective professional sports are a very new phenomenon that arose in a very specific period, the twentieth century. There really were no professional sports in the 1800. there were competitions, and betting, and some people could make some money at baseball or boxing, but it's almost all semi-pro at best. By 1900 newspapers are regularly reporting baseball games, but nothing like the level they would be at fifty years later.

The point is they aren't some timeless thing--they appeared quickly at a very specific place and time --industrial, urbanized societies--and they are just as likely to wane.

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Personally I was a kid who grew up playing with legos and erector sets, drawing or playing music. The only sport I was ever into was skateboarding, cause I found it creative and it was adjacent to music. I've always found most sports boring and as an adult I'm glad I don't have to feel pressured into watching them or talking about them anymore. Sports culture is also hypermasc and I'm really not about that, I can't even stand that type of stuff in music circles. I think this is the case for a lot of people and it's more acceptable not to care now.

drlucky and maxvintage like this.
  14. maxvintage

Also we went to Ireland for a month a few years ago and learned about Hurling and Irish football. It's all amateur, no professional players, and you can only play for your home county--so if you're from Wexford you play for Wexford, if you're from Donegal you play for Donegal. Every town has a Gaelic Athletic league building with fields and a clubhouse and you work your way up from your village to your county team. People are nuts about it, and the games are exciting and impressive, and there's something refreshing about playing for your home rather than for some juggernaut organization that's paying you to pretend you represent Ohio or Alabama , or Philly or Denver.

I could probably get into that

drlucky and CajunJ like this.
  15. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Hang out in Pittsburgh for 5 minutes and you'll see sports fans.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Unless pro sports return to the basics and start playing sports instead of promoting their personal agenda pro sports is doomed .

17. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I feel the same way about electricians and cab drivers. They all need to shut up and do their jobs. :rolleyes:

drlucky and tery like this.
  18. maxvintage

Sorry to post so much but I think while pro ports may be on the decline, one of the biggest changes in my lifetime is Title IX and the rise of women's sports. On weekends my town is full of girls playing soccer, and they get a physical confidence, a sense of teamwork, and a sense of body image and presentation of self that's not just about looking sexy. I get a lot of women athletes in class and they're disciplined and confident and seem like well-balanced people. Title IX was one of the most significant pieces of legislation of the last 100 years--women back in my day just did not have the same opportunities

19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Nah, cricket...

This year most of the clubs are streaming a lot of games on YouTube, though not all - looking at you Yorkshire! When things get back to normal, that may stay, or it may not. Off to watch Nottinghamshire in the T20 Blast now...

Si G X likes this.
  20. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I find this discussion hilarious. Sports are entertainment as much as music. I could substitute 'music' for 'sports' in most of the posts in the thread without changing most of the meaning.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.