1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Professional Sports Waning?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Me neither

I am lucky most of my friends don't give a damn for any sport. I mean professional sport, my brother run marathons and I ride a bicycle from time to time. Keep yourself fit and strong is GOOD, YES. Is healthy, YES. But watching some millionaires following a ball of any size or colour? nope... I don't even think on supporting their business... nope EVER

And.... how to say it without being rude... My friends who support ANY professional sport are... those who read less, those who have less general culture. Don't misunderstand me, they al intelligent, they can remember all the players in their team since the team started 118 years ago, what an sterile effort... But they are not very... clever

Sports have been the last "people's opium" so far... now FB is

Don't count me in

2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

When we were kids we played sports, went to watch sports and sports were on TV. These days there's nowhere to play, they're too expensive to go to watch and all coverage has disappeared from terrestrial TV.

I wonder why kids aren't interested?

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

The BEST football in the world. Guys catching a football at 12' plus, fast, thrilling ( look at your last Grand Final where your state team won on a kick AFTER the siren (( 2018), no helmets and girlie protection, several scores unlike European Football, best sport for developing the ideal physique, lean and muscular, minimal hiding it, only shorts and a no sleeve jumper (top),no throwing the ball, a proper punch required, the list goes on.
    Now they, the media, are trying to push that barbaric Rugby onto us. It will not work when all 7 states have 100 years in this game.In fact the only two Rugby states, NSW and Victoria have two teams each in the league. Also indigenous players feature quite well and many have made a very good living ( normally not possible ) out of the game most are exceptionally good players.

Crafty Fox and trev333 like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sadly Australian Swimming is not as strong as prior to this century.
    Says something about today's kids. We used to train 6 days a week. $;00 a.m. and 4;00 p.m. and do 5-6 kilometres (100 laps per session). Even as an adult i swam 5 k per day and coached .

trev333 likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I had to loose interest, sport by sport, after scandals and non-sports agendas became the point. I'm hoping for a large house cleaning, and return to sports in sports. I can only take sports that's about sports. PS - if sports doesn't want to be about sports first, that's ok. I've got no less than a thousand other things to celebrate and enjoy with others - including sports.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    gregulator450 and Pualee like this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

at least rugby league/union has strong international competitions.....:D

how do you know how good your team is until it plays another country strong in the same sport?....

as entertaining as it is...aussie rules is a local game... no one else plays it...:rolleyes:

7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I love the NFL. The salary cap has made pro football a fascinating proposition in my opinion. If a team makes a bad decision on a free agent or a draft pick there are immediate repercussions. That said I don’t have any shirts or hats and wouldn’t consider going to a game. Too much money, I hate sitting in cold weather and it’s simply a made for TV event. I’ll be cooking up a batch of chili and corn bread this Sunday and plan to watch a bunch of games. Also, I have 3 kids in their 30s. One likes sports more than me; one is a casual fan; and one (a guitar player) could care less.

8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Indeed.... I guess it does depend on the sport a bit, when I lived near Manchester in the latter half of the 90's we used to go and watch Ice Hockey at the Nynex Arena or whatever it's called now, that was a pretty cheap and fun night out. I really miss it to be honest. If we are talking about Premier League football or Motorsports though, then indeed.. you can't even watch it for free on TV.... and my kids are more interested in playing Mario Kart. :)

9. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

Pro sports has gotten so big it's feeding upon itself. All sports all the time. Used to be each sport was "seasonal" but now you read about baseball in February, etc. College sports is worse, too, with the best players going pro after the first year. It probably wouldn't hurt the nation if some of the time, money and energy devoted to watching sports was directed elsewhere;much of the current devotion is related to gambling.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Did they grow up with personal interactive electronics devices from birth? Other technology, or cultural elements, that were different from those when you grew up? Of course they did. There's been a huge technology leap between those who are now middle aged and their children. The terms "digital native" and "digital immigrant" are often used to describe this. And yes, their brains can be wired in strikingly different ways. Their stimulus/response/reward/etc. mechanisms are actually physically different in structure and operation.

Point being, they taught themselves to use different methods than past generations did to self medicate using bodily chemicals (which is all that every one of us is doing, all the time). While more older folks might have learned from a young age to use sports to attain certain moods/feelings/etc., for younger folks, who grew up with their chemical responses being triggered by different things, sports might not have the same intensity of effect.

In other words, you're both doing the same drugs; you're each just getting them in different ways. You're ordering them from the Home Shopping Network, while the young folks are getting them from Amazon.com.

11. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I would hope so. But to fully reason it out here would to enter areas not allowed for discussion.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

One thing we learned this year is that we can live without professional sports.

That Cal Webway and Telecastoff1 like this.
  13. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

With the Bundesliga split up over 3 pay networks I can't afford to watch sports. Kinda makes the average fan's place in the heirarchy clear.

14. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I highly doubt it.

15. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I only paid attention to the Saints a little and LSU football due to the state I reside in. Now too many distractions. So I have bowed out. Can't tell you the fate of professional sports. Professional athletes do get paid an awful lot, and have opinions that some relish for some reason.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

professional e-sports are getting big

like, really big

zippofan likes this.
  17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I see you live near Cleveland. Maybe they’re embarrassed by the Browns ;-)

unixfish likes this.
  18. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

the kleptocracy requires mass distraction. Pro sports are not going anywhere.

gregulator450 likes this.
  19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

The price to value ratio is terrible. Too expensive, too many commercials, too many fees. Games are too long, life's short: I have better things to do

20. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

(American) Football is going to get hit hard over the next decade. I read something a few years ago that said enrollment in peewee football programs is declining sharply because parents don't want to send their their kids into something that's going to result in concussions and brain damage. After seeing how some of the pros wind up at the end of their careers, I can't say I blame them.

drlucky and beyer160 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.