1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Professional Sports Waning?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Sep 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My view, from a very small sample soze, so not conclusive at all; hence the question.

My kids are a younger millennial (daughter) and an older Gen-Z (son). Neither of them have an interest in professional sports.

My daughter's friends don't follow sports. Her co-workers don't mention sports.

My son's friends have only a passing interest.

I remember at their age following sports, and my friends and co-workers following and discussing sports. People talked about it. People followed it. 20 years ago, I was at a client (as a consultant) where most of Monday was spent discussing fantasy football and scores and how to improve. Now, I rarely hear about sports at all at work. I even have teammates in Pittsburgh that rarely if ever discuss their beloved Steelers.

Is this a trend - or am I just in a demographic where it skips by me (middle aged IT guys).

My daughter and I watch the F1 races together - I love F1, and she surfs Reddit's FormulaDank (https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/) for the memes. Yes, that is a pretty niche group, but if you like F1, it's hilarious.

But other than racing, I cannot remember the last time I watched more that 15 minutes of a game, and usually just in passing. My kids and their friends don't talk about it. My friends don't talk about it. My wife and her friends don't talk about it.

Soooooo, is it me?

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Athletes are Celebreties.
    People like them for that reason.
    The Game? Feh!

3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I watch the last 15 minutes of our annual Aust Rules Football Grand Final.
    That's usually enough to last me till next year.

4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Although interest may have peaked its not a very good year to judge. My kids played sports but out of the three only one watches sports of any kind. Professional sports may have lost the casual fan due to all of the nonsense.

4 Cat Slim, teletail, Novak and 4 others like this.
  5. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I think part of the enjoyment of professional sports, to a youngster, comes from the parent's' sharing of the sport or personal participation at the youth level. They have a lot of distractions that boomers didn't so if you want them to watch, you probably have to get them started young watching with you. Also, we used to have one tv and everyone watched what the parent watched. Not much of that anymore with streaming and such.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Professional sports have also gotten out of the price range of a lot of people. I watch some and have friends that do also. But, some of the current things happening within sports is also causing them to lose fans.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much this. Too much ancillary nonsense right now.

8. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

The world of athletics is waning. Highschool and college sports are on the decline. Fewer kids interested in playing/being physically active.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  9. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Probably

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    unixfish and Dan R like this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

How can you watch a game if you are tied to your phone/social media?....;)

maybe people are starting to see these overpaid prima donnas as bogus...:lol:

Friday night footy tonight, 2 games... beauty..:D

Greggorios likes this.
  11. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I believe the sports industry killed itself.

They got greedy and went to their own pay networks and, or also, they moved a lot of sports to cable/sat. One of the reasons cable/sat is so expensive is to pay for this. Last I read $50 of your cable/sat payment goes to ESPN. That's the number the actuaries came up with that people are (were?) willing to pay to watch MNF.

I also enjoyed Formula1, Cycling, and even tennis, and so on. About the only football I see, and have time for anymore is the Sunday night game. It must have been 25 years ago or more when I last saw a boxing title fight. I loved watching Ali, Forman, Norton, as a kid.

I would often record a lot of sports and watch later. But I was an early adapter of cutting the chord. So I'm relegated to watching cheezy highlights on-line. Even those have become much shorter and riddled with commercials.

So I can relate. How do you become a fan if everything is pay per view or an expensive cable/sat channel? I really don't watch sports anymore, just catch the highlights on-line. Even that's dwindling.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

due to quarentining , all atheletes play from their homes now , via video from the home computers , they send the footage to their managers over the net and the games get edited against a green screen so they look like they are all playing in a stadium .

I cant wait till the quarentine olympics , pole vaulting will be a treat

LAPlayer likes this.
  13. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

If professional sports wanes significantly, that may be good for live music.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

For me it was just after the 1980 Olympic Hockey "miracle" team that taught me where olympic and pro sports were going. It all became about television sponsorship money and little to do with sports. Hopefully, we are nearing the end of that era.

rand z, unixfish, Rocky058 and 2 others like this.
  15. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

We still get a lot of live sport on free to air TV... no cable sport here...

if you look hard enough there are free sites online to view most sports... ;)

tery and Tonetele like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

GOOD RIDDANCE!!

(except, you know, The Packers)

17. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can hope

That Cal Webway likes this.
  18. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

For me...no loss.

19. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I still Listen to my Cinti Reds on radio (free) and follow tennis through live streaming (free). Fantasy leagues for baseball and football have become huge. I still love going to a ball game in the summer

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This year doesn’t count. But before this, I’m not aware of any teams or leagues hurting for fans or revenue.

Lawdawg and Tonetele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.