1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are pickup winders presently overwhelmed by work?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Jon Pinson, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Many, many types of business' are running behind due to "our situation" of the past year or so. As mentioned above transportation delays are a very big part of it. That's transporting of component parts to builder, manufacturer, etc. as well as transporting the finished goods to the customer. Just about every aspect of many business have been hampered by any number of things including worker/employee safety. Remember there's a very long chain of procuring raw materials, finished components, etc. that begin with multiple "sources" for a single finished item. (I was in the importing business for many years and know first hand the challenges of meeting delivery dates during "normal" times let alone times like these.)

Guitars & pickups, like other "at home" pastimes, have seen big increases in orders as a result of this situation because demand is up... ("I'm stuck at home, I'll learn guitar or mod my guitar or build my guitar...etc.") I know for a fact that many guitar builders, guitar repair people and luthiers are all backed up for the same reasons. I'm currently on a waiting list to just bring a guitar in for a repair appraisal before the actual work can even be scheduled.

We all need a little patience for a while longer.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  2. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Actually I *have* been consulted by Seymour Duncan when ordering pickups, a handful of times, so I'm not sure exactly what problem some people are having with that...?

But, yes, it seems almost all boutique winders are currently overwhelmed, which...is great for business!
    (There's a fine line of course)

As far as the argument "is it 10% better", etc, here's my take:
    If the manufacturer isn't being blatantly dishonest or deceptive, I mean c'mon....so much of this stuff is subjective, who exactly IS to say whether it is or isn't?
    Better for who?
    All someone can do is give their opinion, and a manufacturer who thinks highly of their work has every right to pimp their gear, yo, and there is certainly nothing wrong with end users giving their first hand opinions, regardless of how informed they may or may not be of the science involved.

Of course manufacturers appreciate those who cheerlead their products....afterall, there are more than enough naysayers out there who nwver miss an opportunity to remind us "there's no magic, its all just resistors, caps, and wires" and that ANY marketing descriptors are nothing but snake oil.
    Jeeez...

3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

You spoke with the actual winder?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.