1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are personal attacks and other negative aspects of forum life...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

TDPRI is a very civil and respectful place. So is the IndyCar forum where I also occasionally participate. Both are moderated. TDPRI members are still more "grown up" than any other board I know.

Not so with most other boards I've seen. My son uses a sports board. The mental age of most posters seems to be between 2 and 4. Every other posts ends with the word "s u c k s". It's like a bad Monty Python argument clinic.

then again...
    [​IMG]

2. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think this forum is very civil, and well managed. Now, over at my other forum I participate in, "TogetherWeServed. Marines", what is considered civil is quite different. They actually let the guys "duke it out". There is even a special forum area called the 'Squadbay" where pretty much any topic is allowed. Complete with colorful language. Just like it was in the Marines. There are a couple of Marines who can't get on the same thread without turning it into a name calling contest. In the end though we are all brothers/sisters, and would march into the gates of hell to help each other out.

3. Rokatt88

Rokatt88 Tele-Holic

That reminds me.

I need to get busy with my 'Gladiator In An Elevator' work out video.

4. drmcclainphd

drmcclainphd Tele-Afflicted

I was about to post something about pizza tiling, but it wouldn't have smelled as sweet as your pun. Bravo.

5. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    No community is perfect, online or otherwise, but in my experience the TDPRI is one of the better ones. Sometimes it can be too easy to focus on the negatives (especially when it's part of your responsibility to keep them in mind), but then I click through a build thread or two and am reminded of why this place is so great.

Once in a blue moon I check out what other websites are saying about us and it's overwhelmingly positive.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Please reconsider introducing this "B" word to our hallowed environs.

There's another Board I view where it has spread like Ebola and it makes me wanna shut it all down. Not sure what there is about it, but it can't possibly enhance communication. I don't think. :)

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sometimes it is almost Reverential. :eek:

But on the other hand IF they said disparaging things we wouldn't bring that up, would we! :p

8. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

the dodecahedron in 2 dimensions? i'm impressed!

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Experiment. Googled TDPRI Best Forum. I found this thread: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-guitars/238673-tdpri-telecaster-forum-no-thank-you.html

The OP is unhappy:

Some replies:

It's interesting to hear the other side, sometimes. It's like that leadership exercise TheGoodTexan discussed.

10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Nah, it's more like one faction is allowed to represent a side in an unwinnable discussion by making comments yet no retort is allowed. Again, that's society...being aware of your environment. And BDLH is the friendliest dust-stirrer i can think of. I'd buy him a beer but he likely prefers cognac or something....

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you are spreading rumours that I don't like beer I'm going to have to complain to the Mods.

12. J-man

Admin Post
    We moderate based on what is or will be a problem, not based on what side someone is arguing from.

13. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by BigDaddyLH

There's absolutly no basis to the rumor he doesn't like beer. However; there is a vicious rumor that he loves eggplant and enjoys bathing in baba ganoush. ;)

14. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

This made me laugh

15. J-man

Admin Post
    It's funny how the banned guys always paint themselves as the victim. Banning is not something done lightly.

16. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

This made me laugh...

17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

It's even worse when the site owner is the only moderator, and has a chip on his shoulder.

18. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As someone who's had a moderator lock my thread and contact me about it, I can say I totally was the victim.

Until he explained why he did it. Very politely.

And it made perfect sense.

It wasn't something obvious and no one had been rude in the thread. But I had broken a rule which was kindly pointed out to me.

They're kind of like lifeguards at the pool. They may seem like they're spoiling the fun sometimes. But mainly they keep us from causing too much ruckus and peeing in the pool.

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No Running! No glass containers.

20. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Poo-Tee Weet? Is that Vonnegut?

I love this forum, and I love all of you. I think, with a very few exceptions, everyone here is friendly and thoughtful. I've had people go so far out of their way to help me out with things that it is astonishing.

Congratulations and thanks to everyone who makes this forum a sweet respite from the daily harangue and karang we are all subject to in the world today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.