Are personal attacks and other negative aspects of forum life...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Thoughtful post doc w...but after 4 1/2 years i gotta say that there are definite undercurrents here. Some of the divisive subjects have a majority that the mods either lead or allow.You'll find out soon enough if you're on the other side. But hey, that's a lot like life...fair is a place you go on the weekends.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I always thought the Green Guy was the sarcasm icon. :D

I often add the smile icon to soften the blow for those with more sensitive skin. :D:D

3. kelnet

Damn. What does that say about the rest of us?

(and, I only just read this thread now, so don't take this post to be an example of the slow pace of my wit. :D)

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I've not found another forum that I like enough to stick around.

I'm a smart acre by nature. I work very hard to keep it in, here.
    Sometimes, I fail. Sorry. And I don't really like using smilies.

I always try to be helpful and supportive, and keep the negatives to myself.
    I'm better at this. I think. One of my mothers favorite sayings was:
    "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Also, I would love to be able to read those posts and threads that get people in trouble.
    Is that part of the premium membership? Not joking.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, but I'm also saying we don't get many truly slow witted people at all. You cannot realistically hope to hold the brilliant types with short attention spans for long, anyway. So, we get guys in the upper half of the column but lose a certain number off the very top. That's not an indictment, is it? :D

+

Oh, and something else. We've had guys come and go - who arrived so ready to demonstrate how much more clever they were than others here, and upon being disabused of the proof of that, they tended to move on quickly. I make no specific projections as to their level of capacity. :)

6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Some of them come from the factory that way!

7. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

pfft, nice? you should read all the hate, name calling, back stabbing comments in the "make up a lie" thread. LOL. if you want to read negative BS, just go click on any youtube link. they should require a test to post on youtube. laughs. i do not even bother to read the posts anymore ( which is to bad could make for some mind stimulating conversations). I just watch whatever video i clicked on, make up my own opinion, and move on. after all we are all movie critics deep down.. laughs.

chris.

8. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

The collective intelligence, compassion, and humor here is crisp-clear autumn air, free for heaving chests beaten to beveled resignation by inane cruelbliss jabdarts, that by bacterial-vigor flourish in the seedier caveholes of unsavory cyberspittle.

Even though I am a downtrodden spec-of-scum to a broad slice of 3-D, I have truly found within this oasis souls whom I consider friends and family. Would that I found such tactful tolerance in the day-sidewalk of living shadows weaving past me.

They cannot even SEE my wrong-hyphens!

9. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This is something I wrote on my own forum I run, for my industry - but it applies somewhat:

I've been "doing" forums on the internet for close to 2 decades now.

Obviously I've enjoyed them immensely, and also obviously I've invested (and blown) a lot of time also - but.....

Something I've known about for a very long time is what I call "The Caustic Factor"

Everything in electronic communications, including emails, has an entirely different tone than it would be if spoken in person. How many times have we gotten a "nasty" email, then called the customer and found a completely different "tone" when speaking to them in person?

I know people have met me and told me they had an entirely different ogre image of me than they had imagined from my online persona.

This is something my experience with these types of communication has led me to factor this into everything I read on the web.

Being offended (I believe the online caustic term for this is "butthurt") over something someone has said, hypersensitivity, runs rampant among people newer to online communications, message boards, forums, emails, and the like.

I've learned over the years to factor it in, and realize the Caustic Factor is a fact of life online.

But the pros of the internet far outweigh the cons - and I'm glad my son is growing up in this information age, where anything can be discovered with a simple search. He had to do a report on beavers and I said - "Let's look online!" After he got kicked out of school for his report, we then discovered a beaver is an animal too!

(That's a joke - perhaps a caustic one - LOL)

This is why all the emoticons and LOL ROTFL and all the acronyms have been created - to "soften" what "it sounds like".

Anyway - I type and explain this to perhaps help members understand - nothing on this forum (and most others) is intended to hurt anyone's feelings. Most hurt comes from not understanding this and factoring it in.

So please, I implore everyone to consider this. Expecting someone (me in particular at this point in time) to change their online demeanor to deal with hypersensitivity on the part of a couple members, is far from "fair".

I come here for good feelings, sharing, enjoying the chat. IF I offend you, please just ignore it or ignore me, because I assure you - I don't intend to do that. Or give me some good natured crap and I love to play that too.

If it isn't fun and good natured - as well as educational, what's the point?

Yeah I am an admin here - but I'm also primarily a member, and myself being myself (Just one human....being). I don't know about others, but I'm happy being me, and my life's too short to change who I am, especially as a message board persona.

Please let me make this perfectly clear - I do not speak for or represent any of the rest of the admin/moderator team.

I'm just me, love me or hate me, but I'll remain being me, or I'll just leave. But I've put a lot of work into this forum, trying to make it a good place for all. I know most of our members appreciate this.

So please, consider the Caustic Factor - it makes life so much easier.....

---------------------------------------------------

Now get this - a member wrote that he thought my post was caustic.

My answer - "Of course it is - it's on the internet, silly"

10. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

I thought the little blue guy is sarcasm - check- Yes he is. I never understand what the Green man is supposed to represent. Something about his toothy grin turns me off though. (I'm going to be bombarded with Green, I just know it). :lol:

11. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry John, I couldn't resist...

Spartacus_CS.jpg

12. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

tdpri was my first experience with an internet forum. it's also the only one i still belong to.

13. SwampFuzz

SwampFuzz Tele-Holic

TDPRI works because it's managed properly and when it comes down to it, we all got here because of guitars, and mainly Telecasters. No religion and no politics keeps 99.99% of the wolves at bay. We can talk all day about whether or not a humbucker on a Tele is sacrilege or if a low watt amp is better than a high watt one, and no blood is shed. When new members join, they see all these threads about music, food and how to keep the dang cats out of the garden. So they stick around.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Shameless. I'm calling for support from the mods right now!:lol: Not even period correct Dark Tan on the Cargo Shorts.

15. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

Originally posted by elihi

Yep, two kinds of undercurrents here, those that drag you under a tarpit of divisive subjects which the debates are unwinnable for either side. The other undercurrent will drag you into a forum meme and you'll find yourself engaged in a hilarious discussion about cargo shorts, flip flops, cropdusting (the art of stealth farting in the grocery store) and the proper way to cook and consume any given type of food or beverage.

This is a great forum and the mods do a great job. At one time or another, I'm sure we've all rubbed someone the wrong way but the thing here is we don't do it intentionally, those that do get weeded out pretty quickly.

16. kelnet

Yeah, but the blue guy is for nasty sarcasm, as in the "good answer, genius," kind of response. I think the green guy is sort of a "just teasing" kind of icon.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Better than previously? I think the necessity for rules and moderation has developed over time but in the forums I’ve participated in since about 2000 things have been pretty much the same.

I think they can be a little bland sometimes, there’s too much agreement and differing opinions are not really valued. But that's pretty much life in general.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I occasionally like to see a bit of a dust up. What's the worst things that happens, someone's panties get twisted?

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Some people chafe easily.

20. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Yeah well, I seldom get really upset at what some random person I've never met says on the internet.

Unfortunately I tend to forget that other people's mileage may vary...:neutral:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.