1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are people dumping their Marshall DSL40C amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DADGAD, Apr 19, 2021.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Just noticed that there are seventeen of them for sale in the used gear department of GC. Is there something wrong with this model?

I'm shopping for a DSL20C and noticed that there is always at least a dozen DSL40C amps for sale. Seems weird and disproportional to other Marshall amps. Is something wrong with them?

StevesBoogie likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Probably nothing. It's probably their biggest selling tube model - their HRDx.

A lot of guys probably buy them, then work out they'd be better with something smaller.

3. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have to admit, I did not believe your statement, but sure enough, there is most definitely an abnormal amount of used DSL40 amps listed as used in the Guitar Center website, and I have to believe those listings are fairly new in the last week or so. Hmmm ... I am in the market for one to be honest. But I have never heard or seen anyone say one bad thing about these amps. It is the 13th best selling amp on Sweetwater (or was it Reverb).

Maguchi and DADGAD like this.
  4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Nothing at all wrong with them, they are great amps. Very popular, so you're just seeing a fluctuation in the market.

Maguchi, Brian Krashpad and DADGAD like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

No dog in this fight. I searched ‘Marshall DSL 40 problems’. There are various results you might want to read.

BlueCajun and DADGAD like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Probably because some guy on some forum wrote that the DSL40CR sounds way better because they changed a 470K ohm resistor to 560K or something stupid like that.

7. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

GC did some weird drops on used gear lately. Search fret-king and there are tons of results that just arrived. Often GC sells NOS as used.

8. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Backline companies are going out of business. There have been no gigs. GC probably made an acquisition from some backline companies. It is a wildly popular amp. They aren't gonna put stuff in the dish the dog dont wanna eat.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

They are starter Marshalls.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Simple, really. Folks are mad they paid way too much for a big loud combo superrock amp they can't use. So they brought them to GC during the first semi-official post covid "sell us your used stuff" weekends, for a chance to get 30% back and 10% off something else shiny and overpriced.

And so it goes, and so it goes, and so it goes....

Hey, no judgement. I would offload my DSL20CR if it were worth the drive for the measly $200 they might give me for it.

DADGAD likes this.
  11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Well if people are dumping them, feel free to dump one on me!

Maguchi, Dik Ellis, DFB1 and 3 others like this.
  12. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Two used DSL40CR's at Long and McQuade (Canada) at not-so-great prices and no DSL40C's :( Guess it's a "south of the border" thing.

northernguitar likes this.
  13. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

People bought the 40 thinking that it must be twice as good as a 20?
    ... and then they only get to play in places where my 1 is more than enough.

richiek65 and DADGAD like this.
  14. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

I really like my DSL40CR (as I have posted on other threads previously) but it should be recognised that there IS a history of problems with DSL's... More so with the 40C and earlier models.

As has already been suggested, google "Marshall DSL problems".

The 40CR is a major upgrade on the 40C in my opinion- I've owned both, still have the CR.

Haven't seen any more than usual advertised here.
    :cool:

Telekarster, Tim S and DADGAD like this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep.. CR is better... was playing mine out last night

16. Dacious

A lot of those actually are for the DSL401 which many people label the DSL40. They cut out periodically due to a heat-related problem.

It mounted a dropping zener directly in the PCB with predictable results...... That fixed with jumpers and a standoff, they're a great sounding amp.

That had 4 EL84s and apart from the early 60 and 100 watt DSLs with their main board that turned conductive, is probably the nadir of the DSL line.

Wally likes this.
  17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Dacious, I have nothing to do with any DSL amp. That may be because of what I saw and heard with the early ones. Snake bite!

18. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Ha! On Sunday I gigged my little DSL5C and used it as a personal monitor, with an SM57 stuck in the front for the PA. It sounded great! I ran it with the 1 watt switch engaged. :)

Maguchi, perttime and Wally like this.
  19. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Can't remember all the details, but that same 'board was fitted to more than one model... The guy who owns a local rehearsal studio once showed me a cupboard full of various dead DSL's with that fault- which is what killed my 40C. Uneconomic to repair, so it ended up as a cab! :eek:

Wally likes this.
  20. Dacious

Wise move in my opinion. I know some people get good service from them, like the HRDx but they can suffer lots of issues. Some people believe they're possessed by the soul of Joseph Lucas, the English Auto electrics maker, aka the Prince of Darkness........ :lol:

The positions on a Lucas headlamp switch are off, dim and flicker......

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    benderb9, thebowl, 7171551 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.