Are Pasties are northern ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Guitar Jones

Guitar Jones Tele-Meister

The Orange Blossom Trail. I drive it everyday and some of those places are still there.

I don't know if they still wear pasties though. Well, at least that's the story I'm sticking to.

2. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

You ever tried covering a silver dollar with a dime?

3. Guitar Jones

Guitar Jones Tele-Meister

lol

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Can-Eh!-dia is actually sparsely populated - as if you didn't know ! :lol:

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Pasties are northern, sure. I make a good one: full pie tin (to feed a bunch of hungry mouths) with potatoes, onions & ground beef or venison, salt & pepper. We devour 'em with heaping amounts of sweet chili sauce. It's a Christmas dinner special in my house. Mmmm, even without rutabaga or gravy!

The best store-bought ones are in Muldoons up in Munising. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441848113.472114.jpg Any way you want 'em. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441848130.231973.jpg Hauling this little puppy ImageUploadedByTDPRI1441848155.718127.jpg right by Muldoons tomorrow on my way to NW ONT but might pass there too late. Hope not!

6. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

My great-grandparents arrived in the UP fresh from Finland a little over 100 years ago. My grandma, who was the first member of her family to be born on this side, made a mean pasty. There's mining country around the UP-- iron, copper -- so maybe pasties came over with Cornish miners. They're a UP staple, though, and very good, if you get them homemade. I crave them sometimes. We have a local purveyor, Cousin Jack's, that makes a passable unit.

7. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

You misspelled "Yooper."

...and strangely enough, when I was in college, I studied a bit of UP history, and one of the big units was about local food and how it brought the immigrant groups together in the mining boom of the mid to late 19th century. Yes, the legend of the throwaway crust is mostly true...The Cornish mined tin, which involves a lot of gnarly chemicals (like arsenic), so to keep their tainted fingers off of their food, the miners baked their pasties with a thick crust. For years, miners in Michigan's Upper Peninsula struggled to efficiently extract copper and iron from the ground...until folks from Cornwall showed up and said "Hey, I know how do take more metal out of the ground in a faster, more efficient fashion." And thus, UP mining was born. Because of segregation in the mining towns, most of the Anglos were in the same areas, and as a result, shared a lot of foods and other niceties (Cudighi sausage has a very similar origin story). I actually have a digital copy of a textbook on this topic if anyone's interested.

So yes, they are northern...specifically, a northern Great Lakes adaptation of a British food.

I miss the UP. :cry:

edited to say:

Jean Kay's is a far superior choice to Muldoon's.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll eat almost anything and enjoy it, but the pasties I had in the UK were ... uh, politely not to my liking. The ones I had in Silicon Valley were better, but I assumed were Americanized. I must say though, I didn't know the distinction of a cornish pastie, so maybe what I have always dissed are fakes.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I know a couple or three young ladies who make their living with pasties.........and sometimes without.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Michigan copper miners used to heat pasties on their mining shovels over a candle, six thousand feet under ground.

It's possible, due to metal recycling, that your guitar pickups are partly wound with wire originally pulled from those Michigan hard rock mines by a Cornish miner a hundred years ago. Or it's from the western US, Chili, or Australia open pit mines...

11. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

13. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Just had a pastie tonight for dinner. Was store bought but my family has a recipe for a full pan pastie, meat, potatoes, onions and carrots with a crust on top. You can buy pasties all over northern MN.

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I think samosas that came out of Central Asia thousands of years ago are probably the grand-daddies of all pasties, pastéis, patties, calzones, sambusak, bajiyaas, pastel, chamuças, gujias, pastelitos, pastechis and whatever else you may call them.

Empanadas are common throughout all of Central and South America - with many different styles and fillings - and are said to be of Galician Spanish and Portuguese origins although probably brought there by the Moorish invasions. "Empanar" means to cover in pastry in Spanish.

[​IMG]

The Cornish variant was spread by migrant miners to many parts of the world.

15. stewart_garden

stewart_garden TDPRI Member

Including here in South Australia. Pasties are great but I would swap one for a real Forfar bridie.

16. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Ahh....I forgot to add bridies to my list of pastie-like food! :eek:

17. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Wouldn't it have been easier, and a lot less wasteful, to eat them using some kind of metal holder (made out of tin even!) or perhaps with a serviette acting as a physical barrier between the harmful substances on the hands and the food item?

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Too much carbs, not enough meat.

I saw a huge bobcat up in Seney once. Standing in the road looking at us.

On a two track that lead to...an enormous cranberry processing plant, cranking at full tilt, machines on, automated, fruit being washed - and no one there ! Not a soul.

That was weird.

Ahh the UP. Spend enough time up there and and you think Mackinaw City is an outlying Detroit suburb.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Are sentence structure are grammar?

20. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Pastries are from Austria or Switzerland, where all the fat white people reside. (I am a fat white person so I know of these things)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.