Are new Pro Juniors noisy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by CaineIsCarter, Jun 10, 2019.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Hi folks

I’m a one-amp (terrible) player; I need something for home use and hopefully a jam every now and again.

Last year I had a Pro Jr 3, and really liked it. But it was very noisy, until I fitted different valves on somebody’s advice. It worked, more or less. I regret selling it.

I’m now looking at a Pro Jr 4, or a Blues Jr Tweed. Can any PJ4 owners advise whether they have any noise issues please?

Thanks a lot.

2. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

All I can speak for is my Pro Jr 4 tweed.. Mine was shipped from Indiana(Sweetwater) to Oregon and it has been dead quiet from day one..I also took it apart right after I got it as I had to tighten one of the handle screws, it had lifted(from the factory) I guess.. and I needed to re-tighten it, some changes were made to the IV model and it explains them on the Sweetwater site..I'm happy..pleased actually..not changing tubes or speaker at this point..letting the speaker break in..hope this helps..

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  3. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My Pro Jr 4 is as quiet as can be, never heard anyone complain about noise with the newest models.

NewKid, Daytona.57 and CaineIsCarter like this.
  4. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Picked up a Tweed Pro Junior last year. The noise was incredible. Brought it right back.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  5. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed, 15W, 23lbs, into a Fender ported 1x12 cab, loaded with a Cannabis Rex, sensitivity 102 db, SPL 110-115 db, equivalent to 50W. No hum.

I use a Fairfield Barbershop V2, as a preamp to saturate the power tubes. I am able to have amp breakup at 4 levels lower on the volume. BS has a "Sag" knob for dialing in more Tweed.

The Barbershop allows low volume playing with pedals and is great as my partner works long hours at the home office.

I play drums and was unable to bury the PJIV and CR combo, very loud and articulate.

The PJIV has Fender cleans and lots of Tweed Marshall mids. A Klone is a good pedal with this amp.

Running an extension cabinet, extends the PJIV life cycle, as internal combo speaker vibrations are eliminated, preserving PCB mounted tubes, solder joints with no tube rattle or speaker heat.

The Tweed covering is very pleasing to the eye.

The PJIV has exceeded all expectations.

Edit: attempted to upload video with negative results.

YMMV

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

I have a PJ III and it's a pretty darn quiet amp.

Ostriker likes this.
  7. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I just got a new one, open box from Musician's Friend. I have not spent much time with it yet, but I did not notice any noise issues.

8. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

I have a Pro Jr IV Tweed and it is very quiet. When I tried various preamp tubes, some of them made the amp bit noisy, so you can also check what tube you use and change it if needed. I think the amp circuit is good, capable to be quiet.

I've also tried a Blues Jr III Tweed and that was very noisy. Also its reverb was having a lot of hiss. I was surprised how noisy the amp was and its overall low quality from the electronics point of view. The build quality was good (well, a pine cab would be nice.. for both Blues Jr and Pro Jr). it went straight back to the shop within the return period.

9. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

I thought my PRRI was noisy untill i tried a different jack plug . Must have been a grounding issue .I have 2 amps and if use the cable on the left (see photo) they are both noisy.The cable on the right has a metal ring at the base ,i pressume this meakes the earth whereas the other don`t.

IMG_20190612_113843.jpg

10. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

No noise at all. Yeah, except some wood rattle on specific low frequencies... might try to do a pine cab for mine in the future.
    With different speakers you get very different sounds. External speaker may sound better with no wood rattle...

11. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

It's funny, you've already answered your own question.

A big part of it is valves.
    I used to accept some hum as normal.

I've gone NOS valves recently on all my amps. From vintage voiced to high gainer, they're now all pretty much silent when idle, regardless of volume and gain.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.