1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Nash Guitars consistently great?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Inuitdream, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

yes... there is ZERO comparison between a Fender Road Worn and a Nash. A good friend (and easily one of the best players in the Portland area) has 2 and they make his former MIA's, Custom shops, and Road-worn's sound like trash. I personally don't like the fake wear and tear bit, BUT the guitars sound amazing.

Oh and Vinny... there are significantly different degree's of "aging" that Nash does so calling them all "bad looking" is a bit of a generalization. In fact One of my above mentioned friends guitars is hardly "relic'd" at all (it's a sea-foam green 50's Tele and was on display on Nash's site for quite a while).

I surmise that the reason some don't think X Nash guitar was "that great" it was because that specific guitar was simply a finish relic job reassembled with stock Fender Pups and parts... his fully gone over and modded guitars are a whole other animal.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  2. sidneystreet

sidneystreet Tele-Afflicted

For me, the fingerboard relic work has always been the deal breaker with Nash guitars. In pictures it often looks cool (even if excessive), but in person I found it unacceptable.

A maple-fingerboard Nash guitar with a much more subtle neck relic job would have made me an owner. Of that I have no doubt.

3. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

IMO yes, they are consistently great guitars. I own two and have played probably 15-20. All were outstanding. I had no fear of buying my second one on-line w/out having played it first.

4. Inuitdream

Inuitdream TDPRI Member

Thanks to you and the other positive posts here! That seals the deal for me.

Now to look for a Nash 52RI.

5. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

Before you pull the trigger you might want to check out John Scott at Bluesman Vintage guitars just outside of Nashville, his guitars are tone candy dispensers, great stuff & he's a forum member here.

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Nash's definition of "light relicing" is interesting - looks like the guitar has been attacked with a hedge trimmer. I wonder what their heavy relicing is like?

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

:lol:. Do they only sell reliced guitars?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. swleamon

swleamon Tele-Holic

When I reader a "builder" say "Fender is dead" they have lost all credibility.

9. 51Nocast

51Nocast Tele-Meister

removed. Went too off topic starting my own thread.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Are they consistently great?

No, or no based on the 3 I've played.

You have to roll the dice. Hopefully, if you get one you don't like, you can sell it and absorb some of the loss.

11. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I actually was just at a store yesterday and I tried out a Mexican Standard and a Nash T-57 sunburst. So...about a $1200 difference brand new between them, I wasn't really comparing them at the time per se, I was just playing a Mexican Standard and happened to see the Nash later, so maybe a Custom Shop Fender would be a better comparison. I played them through a Fender Dual Professional that I am now GASing for incredibly.

The Nash wins hands down for construction. It felt really solid. You can definitely tell the difference in that regard. It was obvious more care went into the construction of the Nash. The Nash stayed in tune better, its intonation was absolutely perfect. The Nash was also a lot more resonant than the Fender and seemed to have more sustain.

Tone was actually pretty close to my ear, there was maybe a bit more detail with the Nash but if we're just talking tone, I was really impressed with the Mexican Fender. I've played more duds than studs with Mexican Fenders, but I've played a couple I've really loved (a Road Worn and Classic 60's most notably), and this Standard was a good one.

I'll also say the Nash neck is one I'd have to get used to, where the Fender was effortless to play. The Nash had a gigantic boat neck, and was not as easy to maneuver around. I'm just not used to that style of neck.

If I had the money to buy a Nash I would. The resonance and how solid it felt really impressed me.

12. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

So for me coming from the Strat side of life. I went on the hunt for a 62 strat reissue or a Nash Strat.. Went and played them all were great some were greater than others but none were what you would call bad.. However I ended up getting a Nash T-57 Telecaster. Wow it was incredible. I even mostly plays blues and the tele did it for me. The resonance of just holding the guitar and feeling the notes vibrate and the little nuances sold me on it... The only thing I have to get used to from coming from the Strat side and now tele is the vintage Tele bridges. Getting the D and G strings to totally intonate correct on both strings on those old vintage saddles is something I have got to get used to... In the strat world each string can be dialed in but the vintage Saddles seem to be boogers from all that I read... So what I did is on the string pair is intonate the D and tune the open G down a few cents....

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I want the one he wouldn't let Stevie have, (even though he didn't go into business until after Stevie was gone) he certainly couldn't accuse me of overplaying it. If he wouldn't let Stevie have it for free, he certainly shouldn't expect me to pay for it. It's just sitting there, no one has claimed it, so there you have it, send it to me, who knows I might like it.

I had a real Mustang once, does that entitle me to Stevie's Nash, no not that old ugly coupe, the old ugly Tele. Maybe Stevie didn't even want a Nash Tele. I do though out of curiosity. I don't like artificially beat up guitars though, but I don't want anyone to shoot me, but Bill seems to desire it, or so he says, that's actually kind of weird, maybe that explains the whole thing.

14. ronstackman

ronstackman TDPRI Member

I have been playing for about 45 years. I've had many many guitars from different manufacturers. Fender, Gibson, Parker, Epiphone etc. I have also assembled my own guitars from parts. My go-to guitars are 2 NASH TC 63's (2006 and 2007) with Lollars. Rosewood board. Medium C neck. They are both fantastic sounding and playability is superb. I use minimal effects thru a Carr Vincent. Just a great tonal combination. Not to mention if you e-mail Bill with a question or comment he personally returns your message, usually within about 24 hours. Try one and buy it if you like it. If not then don't. No problem.

15. polvotone

polvotone Tele-Meister

I agree, just bashing what his bashers like.

16. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

nash relics are too beat up for me. Tom Anderson Tele gets my vote.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ron, I'm glad to hear that Bill is excited to handle buyer feedback. That's a great way to go about it, just chipping away, honing on what you're doing; trying to do better.

I can just about imagine getting past all the extra "wear" on it, if it sounded and played just like I wanted. I guess I'm a lot more interested in the performance of the guitar. I mean, if you genuinely find a gem out there in the world of Tele-Land, you can mess with the finish, you can de-relic them, you can add more or different wear and what remains is what the guitar plays like, sounds like. Appearance is secondary.

18. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

A very good read! You go Bill! Honesty works for me.

I think his guitars look pretty cool!

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Personally, if I want a better Tele, I'll just buy a better Fender and be done with it. If I want a Gibson, I'll buy one of those, not an Epiphone, or Joe's best built copy. I have no problem at all with someone building themselves a T style guitar, but that is just not for me. I would make an exception for one of Mr. Kirn's guitars, but that would be about the extent of it. If you enjoy doing that sort of thing, have a good time. I'm kinda like Allan Jackson, I don't do windows, and I'm pretty good at drinkin' beer. well anyway I used to be, even that got too complicated for me. There for a while I thought they delivered beer in Crown Victorias.

20. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Yeah! Screw eggplant, man!

Nash makes plenty of good points and I wholly support his efforts to create quality guitars, however he does it. Let the man make his guitars. His process and methods are transparent, so it's not like he's hiding something or making stuff up as he goes along.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.