1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Musicians Naturally ‘True Believers’

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by alltruenews, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alltruenews

alltruenews TDPRI Member

I am a skeptic, which means I demand some sort of evidence when I am asked to accept something as either true or likely to be true. Most rational people work this way in their every day lives, however many drop this basic function and willingly accept claims of supernatural beings, ghosts or dubious claims of alternative medicine without regard for actual testable evidence.

Without getting into the nuts and bolts of skeptical thinking, I just want to relate an observation (admittedly anecdotal) that a majority of musicians are extremely un-skeptical of most magical claims.

From ESP and palm reading to spirits and angels, the vast number of musicians I know seem very willing to believe these things true despite the overwhelming lack of any testable evidence.

Please chime in and share your thoughts.

2. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

I don't believe you.

3. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

I too am a skeptic.

At least on guitar forums, it sure does seem like guitarists often buy into unproved claims about gear.

4. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Tele-Afflicted

This is untrue for every musician I know.

5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't think they're any different than anyone else in this regard.

6. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

It's probably the drugs.

7. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am skeptical of skeptics. I find people who refuse to believe anything without total proof kind of silly. Being a person who needs proof, I think they should realize that it goes both ways.

I cannot generally believe something that cannot be proven, unless I experience it myself. I've seen and experienced things that I have absolutely no rational explanation for. As have most people. Now to me, that doesn't mean there isn't an explanation, that just means I haven't found it yet. Will the explanation be supernatural? Maybe. I'm open to that possibility. Since nobody has conclusively proven the non-existence of the supernatual, I have to leave my mind open to the possibility that it exists.

You have to remember, just because you can't prove something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If it absolutely doesn't exist, you'd be able to prove THAT.

There was a time when only lunatics thought the earth was round, or that we orbited the sun. Being open minded to possibilities outside of our own narrow knowledge, and inestigating those possibilities, is what moves the human race forward. Blind dismissal of things beyond one's ken does make them appear intelligent to me, it gives the appearance of pursuing ignorance.

8. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Oh, jeeze, tell me about it! :rolleyes:

The contradictory and imaginary constitute the majority of gear discussions, never mind the stubborn advocacy of known physical impossibilities.

The majority of musicians just don't know how to think.

9. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Same for me.; I don't know any musicians like that. But the people I tend to hang out with don't believe in those things (ESP, angels, magic etc.) I'm not sure why there would be a correlation between being a musician and having certain beliefs.

10. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

Check my sig....

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

for someone who claims the rationality high ground, you make a bunch of assumptions, offer zero evidence and appear to be a troll.

But, who knows? Maybe you are a great guy. I'll need to see evidence of that, so far, not so much.

12. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

13. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

OK, I'll help: Discussions about magic cables, magic tone capacitors and magic finishes.

That should keep you busy for a few months. :D

14. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

I too am a skeptic. I'm a great fan of "The Skeptics Guide To The Universe" podcast as well as George Hrab's Geologic Podcast, Skepticallity, The Skeptic Zone, and Skeptoid. 2 years ago I even attended the Norther California conference "Skeptical".

One of the musical styles I play is Bluegrass. I love the social aspect of bluegrass but man, the religiosity of some Bluegrass jams is just too much. We can play the songs, we can enjoy the idea of the song, we can enjoy the harmonies and I'm fine with all of that. But too often someone at the jam has taken the moment of calling out a Gospel song as an opportunity to start a sermon. That kind of stuff has it's place, but a jam session isn't it. There are times I just want to say "OK, It's 'I'll Fly Away' in the key of G. One Two Three Four . . ."

I live in the foothills of the Sierra Mountains just down the hill from Grass Valley. We do get a lot of ex-hippie and wanna be hippie types up here. There are several shops selling crystals and incense and prayer flags. ( I actually have a string of Tibetan prayer flags in my office. They look cool.) But other than the hyper religious aspect of some (certainly not all) Bluegrass jams I really haven't found too much "woo" with the musicians up here.

15. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Tele-Holic

Argument from ignorance. You can't prove any number of mythical creatures don't exist, from satyrs to unicorns.

16. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Gee GetBent...seems like kind of a sharp response to fairly tame commentary by the Op....

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

This is related to the old....

Musicians are artists and
    artists are flighty and quirky and eccentric

thus
    is also true

18. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I agree with Getbent on this one. I'll be surprised if this thread is still here in an hour

19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i'm a scoffer

20. GregB

GregB Tele-Holic

That is not an argument from ignorance. An argument from ignorance is when somebody says "I can't imagine how that can possibly be true therefore it isn't." Or perhaps more correctly: "I don't understand how that works, therefore it doesn't work."

Also a fallacy. Lack of proof for non-existence is not therefore proof of existence. RE: Bertrand Russell's Teapot. There is the skeptical adage that says "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." But you're using that adage incorrectly. To say "You can't prove there isn't an invisible dragon in my living room." does not imply "Therefore anything is possible and nothing can be known."

And that's what the skeptical movement is really all about. It's about understanding ways of knowing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.