1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are mic polar patterns 2D or 3D?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by closedmri, Jan 25, 2021.

1. closedmri

closedmri TDPRI Member

Tried to sum up my question in the title... What I’m trying to ask is, does a microphones polar pattern exist on a horizontal plane like a standard diagram would indicate, or is it spherical in the real world?

I am wondering because I’ve been using some ribbon mics on guitar this weekend in the Blumlein technique to mic up my acoustic while rejecting my voice down the middle. I’m curious if the null points in a figure of 8 apply to the top & bottom to the mic and not just the sides.

Testing this out I found that to be the case. Just curious if anyone can say definitely one way or another, as it’s been difficult to find anything about this online.

2. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

Spherical pattern, facts and no doubt about it. I guess you could call it 3D. Now, how we listen to signals recorded or captured via mic (be it via two speakers or headphones), you could said that we end up downgrading what a microphone captures down to Left and Right (unless this we're talking about surround sound, 7.1, or any other immersive format).

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

absolutely 3 D

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup what they said

Gear sounds pretty sophisticated!
    Several figure eight ribbon mics?
    Nice cabinet!

5. closedmri

closedmri TDPRI Member

Awesome thanks for the resounding replies! That makes the figure 8 pattern incredibly interesting and likely very difficult to harness if you are thinking in 2 dimensions only

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.