1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are male singers obsolete?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cadillac_Mike, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

As someone who listens to both popular and indie music I've noticed a trend... No male singers anymore. Very few at least. I guess it makes sense when you think about it... Females naturally have a higher range to cut through a dense mix. It used to be like 50/50, now it's like 85/15 females.

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Here you go. 2 male singers in one. Came out this week.

3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, why yes there are.

4. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

No. The real music industry is long since dead, and what is left is an empty facade of once was that only pushes crappy formula pop. And much of what is called 'indy' today is of that.

Believer, Dan R, Alex_C and 16 others like this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I hope not. I played in an excellent band once that had a female singer and, believe me, you are really scratching for enough really good smogs. This girl was a great singer, tall, good looking and could belt it out, but it was hard to rack up 70 or so really rocky songs for a female vocalist.

Torren61, SRHmusic and drmordo like this.
  6. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

There are plenty of singers, male, female, good, and bad. Mostly bad.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

8. Guitarteach

27 out of the current UK top 40 are male... and it’s nearly all c’rap.

9. Guitarteach

Reduced to Barracuda and I Love Rock and Roll? I know the feeling!

Tonetele likes this.
  10. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

And the few male singers in pop music sound like whiny little b!tches.

bowman, beninma, Dan R and 8 others like this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i've generally always liked female singers in melodic stuff precisely cause of what OP said, alto & soprano just make more sense for carrying a melody and sit better in the mix. in heavy stuff i don't think it makes a difference (and a few of my absolute favorite punk and thrash bands are fronted by women).

but i don't understand why you can't have a female singer singing rock like someone said above. change the lyrics around a bit. if the singer is in the same register, i find an ann wilson a lot less grating than a robert plant or a brian johnson or whoever.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

thats true. have someone remove your stones so you can make it big. OK, go ahead and banish me, but its the truth

13. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"Indie" seems to be a marketing term nowadays. Which is really weird if you think about it.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think there are more bad male singers than bad female singers. But it also has to do with the genre. There are clearly more female top 40 pop singers. At least I think, I don't really listen to that stuff.

Fendereedo and northernguitar like this.
  15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'd like to better understand how the industry keeps its identity.

P Thought likes this.
  16. Guitarteach

Which one?

The artificial record chart industry which is just a measure of record labels’ marketing spend, or the huge, fan led market for bands who never ‘chart’ or might have done once or twice but pack festivals and sell records for years.

17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

My wife listens to modern pop, and most of what she tortures me with is sung by men.

Meanwhile, I just dug out my Four Freshmen records for a re-spin, and I've been listening to Sons of Hawaii quite a bit. No lie. David Feet Rogers is a monster.

bigbean likes this.
  18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

As for mixes, you can mix around a baritone just fine. It's part of why guitars are twangy in country music. The guitar sits squarely in the male voice range. You have to carve out around it. A million classic country records did just that.

The pop music industry is built around selling sex. It's not working, but that doesn't stop them.

19. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

Female singers sure can cover a wide range of styles. Lee Aaron...the 'Metal Queen' of the 80's sure had a set of pipes on her. Besides Heavy Metal she also has dabbled in some Jazz music. She has the talent to sing and the looks. She knows how to project herself.:cool:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  20. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don’t perceive that. But a lot of male singers either sing falsetto or rap these days. The traditional male baritone vocal is rarer in pop charts I find... It’s unusual when someone like George Ezra gets popular. Some dancier genres were alway predominantly female vocals and the resurgence in 90s house/dance styles may push female vocals to the fore. Your other factor could be artists now tend to have multiple songs in the charts and there are some massively popular female singers at the moment, so they’re going to be on radio constantly.

I do see indie and guitar-based genres are getting a bit more equal in the gender mix. I think there’s an enthusiasm for that in listeners, too. It’s sometimes interesting to listen to guitar stuff with female vocals just because I’ve heard less of that sound. I love a lot of guitar music but new bands have to really grab my attention somehow to make me interested in them as I’ve simply heard so many of them.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.