Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

I used to collect Ibanez guitars the way I now collect Aria Pro II guitars. They are that good.

Everyone knows they are just a brand name. Everyone knows the factory in Japan they are made out of. Serious quality control. From Jazz Masters to Nylon Acoustics to the old Steve Vai customs.

I had some serious Artist Jazz models. Then again the best ever Ibanez I ever owned was an electric blue acoustic with a pointy elecric guitar headstock.

Been searching for it for years. Never will find it. It's gone. Not even Ibanez knows about it. It was a good sounding guitar that looked amazing. But I loved it for its uniqueness.

Ibanez are a brand. Very high quality control.

One day I might start collecting them again. Everyone knows about them now. I liked them when everyone thought they were a crappy Japanese brand.

Great guitars. But don't be taken in. Like Tokai or even Aria Pro II - they did some dogs.

There are Fenders, there are Gibsons. Then there are Ibanez and Aria and Tokai. Consistent brands. But many duds along the way.

But when you get a good one...

bftfender likes this.
  2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've never had an Ibanez that I regretted buying. I have had a few that I regretted selling, however.

Tonetele, Dennyf, 7171551 and 3 others like this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I have a Scofield JSM10 model also and I’m amazed by it. Bought it within the last couple of months to replace a PRS 594 that I loved but couldn’t get comfortable playing (bad leg cut location for my seated playing position - twisted me up and and I had a hell of a time reaching the upper frets). The Scofield has a less fancy top, but I swear I can’t tell any difference in quality. The Ibanez plays every bit as well and the sound is very very close and has its own mojo that I love. And this is an $1100 guitar compared to one that would cost $4200 new! I’d previously had a model that was essentially an AS153 with a nasty relic looking finish and it was also a really nice player, but the Sco is a cut above.

My ONLY complaint is that the Scofield models and the AS200 have a slightly smaller body than the other AS models, but they ship them all with the same cases and the Scofield models have room to bounce around a little bit in there. Mine arrived with a busted pickup selector switch that I had to get a warranty repair done on and I’m sure it’s because the guitar was floating a little loose in the case. I’ve since made a little pad I keep in the case that makes the guitar a snug fit now... Incredibke guitar and simply ridiculous for the price. I’ve never played a Gibson Iliked as much, including some ES models that cost a LOT more.

4. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I have an ES335 knockoff that is a dream. Everyone who picks it up oohs and aahs about the neck. The stock pickups were fine but I have a strange thing for low output pups so I put Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in it. Also added a Bigsby. No intention to ever let this one go.
    [​IMG]

Had an Iceman way back in the early 80s. Orange-brown burst mahogany body, set neck. Very well made but kind of an odd combination of body style and finish.

Recently picked up a 3/4 size Ibanez acoustic for a cheap travel guitar. Playable and not bad for $120.

So yes I'm a fan.

Mincer, coreytree and bftfender like this.
  5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I had an Ibanez RG450 for a while.

*Very* fast neck - as you say, so easy to play - but I found my left thumb aching after prolonged playing (2 hours plus).

I traded up to a MIM Tele, and had no further aches.

I do miss the RG's sleek looks though.

6. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

I love the Iceman w the brown burst - unusual combo and that’s why I like them. The original Iceman design had that sort of finish and a big violin-looking tailpiece that was really cool. Could not readily find a pic or I would post one.

I had a black Iceman in the early 80’s as well. The Paul Stanley fractured mirror IMG_5825.JPG finish is one of the most iconic finishes on any guitar IMHO.

jonrpick, Vladimir and bftfender like this.
  7. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I really love my Iby's. My favorite player guitars. Have an AS and an RC. Been eyeballing a TM:)

8. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I don't think Ibanez know how to make a bad guitar.

Their semi's have always been as good as anything on the market.

The only one I have now is a bass and that's going nowhere.

radiocaster and bftfender like this.
  9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I might be considering 7 string ibanez sooner or later. I really dig the standard Rgd series. This maple neck blue laser matte finish with dimarzio 7 pickups steals my heart. However pricing is wtf, 800 usd for indonesian ibanez isnt good. I can spend 700. As for 800 i can get Korean Schecter hellraiser

10. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I have a Strat copy from 1976. Also an SG copy from the early 70's. I have a AS80 (335 type) All very nice guitars.

The SG has some crooked inlays but the neck is great. It also has the Gibson style open book headstock (the real subject of the lawsuit nonsense but it doesn't really add any value).

My main gigging guitar (as I am a solo act at this point) is an Ibanez AC240 acoustic that is most awesome both acoustically and plugged in.

In conclusion, yes.

Dan

11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

It isn't what Buddy Holly played so it don't count.

12. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I bought my first electric guitar about a year ago and I bought an Ibanez based on reviews. I wanted an LP style guitar (which now I realize was a mistake) and that led me to Epiphone for value but it seemed most people that had an Ephiphone and an Ibanez thought the Ibanez was a better value. So, I bought this Ibanez AR720 made in China:

201708055Ds-0518-Edit.jpg

I am amazed that I was able to get such an excellent guitar for so little money. The neck, frets and controls are wonderful and it is quite fancy.

Then I bought a G&L strat and tele and they are both good but the last guitar I bought is an Ibanez MIJ nashville tele Tm1803 and it will probably be my main guitar for a long time. I bought it online totally relying on my opinion that my made in China Ibanez seems flawless so the MIJ should be even more flawless. :) It is excellent but I wish it had an ebony neck.

body front top close.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    bftfender and tintag27 like this.
  13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

I guess it depends on what you like, but I can't argue with value for the money.

RC430MSB, like it better than a Strat I had.

IMG_20160110_154006681.jpg

AS73 with new nut and GFS Goldfoil Ferrite pickups. Oops this is the old picture with the forgettable ACH pickups.

body.jpg

AF75, like those Classic Elite humbuckers.

AF75 Front.jpg

Attached Files:

• body.jpg
      body.jpg
      File size:
      178.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    bftfender, Southpole and awasson like this.
  14. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

the J.S. guitars are beautiful JS 140 seem kinda cool t me
    Personally I would buy the AR420 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AR420VLS--ibanez-ar-series-ar420-violin-sunburst

brobar likes this.
  15. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Yup... They are that good.

I bought my 1981 Artist AS100 the day I was planning to buy a 1981 Gibson SG. I liked the Gibson, then I tried the Ibanez. I was in love. Later I picked up my 1981 Artist solid body AR100. It’s a killer solid body guitar. I mostly play my Tele or Strats now but whenever I pick up one of the Ibanez Artists, I’m blown away by how good they are.

6491DDDF-DC78-4267-93BC-26F72C2CF4D4.jpeg
    C86C8C13-3ACC-43F0-A5D1-0500BA73BDE4.jpeg

jonrpick, Fearnot, chemobrain and 3 others like this.
  16. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

An Ibanez/ Epiphone/ PRS SE shoot out would be interesting!

awasson likes this.
  17. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Have had everthing from Kramers to Fender customshop, and along with some sort of Tele, I've always had at least some sort of Ibanez guitar.
    Right now I 2 RS-135's from 87(the last ones made before they moved the series to Korea)one is missing a neck, that I'll get by one day.
    My first electric was 84 Comet red RS-135 :) Matching headstock and red pickups...haha.

I am on the look for a Talman Tele....I like the ones we had in the shop when I was working there!
    Also I love their AS/AM series in what ever form, had a Japanese one when I was younger, was stolen togther with my Tokai Tele :(
    Loved both guitars....had hoped to keep them, one the few guitars I just played it, did not change anything but strings on that old AM 205.
    All my other guitars I always fiddled with something...haha

awasson likes this.
  18. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Black and fractured mirror are a lot more consistent with that body shape.

But you're right that sometimes "mismatched" can be a great theme.

coreytree and chemobrain like this.
  19. Brewdude

Brewdude Tele-Meister

Gonna pick up a late 70's Artist 2622 Steve Miller today. It's from the estate of my late bandmate and longtime friend and his son is selling it to me for half of what its worth. I'm pretty pumped about this!

20. ChrisNY

ChrisNY TDPRI Member

I have a RG421AH and a AF75, both are great guitars. Ibanez makes some really nice guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.