Are Ibanez guitars really that good !!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by bftfender, Aug 2, 2018.

1. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

I have the JSM10 Scofield. I'm still dumbfounded about how nicely it plays and sounds. The JSM20 in your picture is the same amazing guitar, without so much bling.
    Mine was supposed to be my GAS-ending purchase, but I "accidentally" had the winning bid on a VW Garagemaster First Act yesterday. I guess I'll just have to live with my mistake, lol...

bftfender likes this.
  2. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

I had a Jem loved it but the wizard neck didnt suit me and I sold it.
    The quality and function was very good.
    I will own another.

3. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

I got started with guitar in the 80s, and I was using Fenders while everybody I knew was using Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, BC Rich, Hamer, Kramer etc...

Call it a midlife crisis. My last two purchases have been Jackson and BC Rich, and this very minute I'm waiting for my first Ibanez to arrive :D

I've heard the Infinity pickups weren't very impressive, but the newer Quantums are getting some positive reports. I bought my Ibanez at least in part because I have a nice set of high output pickups that need a more suitable home than the Strat they're currently in.

bftfender likes this.
  4. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

The Prestige series ... twice the ax at half the price. Like them better than Gibson I own 3 Gibbys and three Ibanez ...

Frodebro and bftfender like this.
  5. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I have one of those 12-string Ibanez Artists that Pat Metheny used to play. It's a fine guitar. I've played many other Ibanez over the year, and I can't recall thinking any were substandard. There are a few that I still covet. As a brand, there's zero wrong with them, unless you consider fluorescent paint a defect.

6. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Only ibanez i've owned is an accoustic that is by far the worst guitar i've ever played. I've heard good things about them though and don't judge all their guitars based on one low end acoustic model.

edit: just remembered I've played an old friend artcore quite abit too and that guitar was really nice.

bftfender likes this.
  7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

right with ya.Jjackson & BC Rich nice !! been reborn since i went in the studio and instead of being normal and safe..i am getting heavier by the song,,just got a 4x12 5150 cab yesterday and Peavey XXX coming sat and working on some type of mesa trade..

Sollipsist likes this.
  8. bftfender

just learned about them today.. think a LP is going to be leaving soon...been offered a trade for Ibanez RG1620 & ESP 7 stringer and $200 cash..just gotta learn about a piezo pup tho..it has them in it

Henry Mars likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Love my AS153 and in high school I had an excellent Iceman— an original that I bought new in ‘79, I think.

bftfender likes this.
  10. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

While I've only dabbled in the lower-end Ibanez acoustics myself, I have to agree that acoustics don't seem to be where they shine. While always playable, their tone and volume are usually on the anemic side. My opinion is based on my experience with their electrics.

11. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I've owned 3, all excellent instruments. This is my latest, AS83
    [​IMG]

awasson and bftfender like this.
  12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Ad Free Member

I’ve had a few and all but one were very nice guitars. The one I didn’t like was a beautiful quilted maple hollow body but the pickups were terrible. They sounded dead no matter what I did. Could have replaced them but it wasn’t my favourite anyway so it was easier to trade it. The others have all been top-notch and I would buy them again!

13. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Previous owner strung it with 011's and tuned it to drop C. The tone is rough and heavy, like a wet burlap sack stuffed with solid gold doorknobs. Feels great too.

20180802_173421.jpg

bftfender likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The solids I've had are way too wide and thin on the neck for me. I've had 3 or 4 archtops, currently trying to bond with a thicker one and it may be a keeper. The Old vintage '78 Artist I had was beautiful, but neck heavy as heck as well as just generally heavy.

15. bftfender

thats right up my alley...nice

Sollipsist likes this.
  16. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I have a lovely AS200 from the early 80s. Same model as Schofield always used to play. I like the ebony fretboard, not quite so keen on the narrow neck but I live with it because everything else is so good about the guitar. It came to me with Gibson Classic 57s, which didn't do much for me. Now sports a Lollar CC in the neck and a Lollar SC for HB in the bridge. The CC is smooth, perhaps too smooth, and the bridge pickup is snarly. I mostly live in the mid position, which is perfect for finger picked blues.

I've recently bought a Blazer from about 1982. Excellent hardtail Strat style guitar. I wasn't too fond of the pickups, which were very thick sounding and without much detail or sparkle. A set of Joel Dyer Greasy Hots put that right and woke up the guitar. It's now a beast. Still plenty of body to the sound but with that extra detail and high end that was missing before.

Used to own an Ibanez law suit goldtop Lester back in the early 80s. But I was a callow youth and I didn't appreciate what I had. Somehow it got sold along the way.

awasson, Macrogats and bftfender like this.
  17. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

How uncanny is that!? I was reading through this thread with the intention of mentioning my old Ibanez Blazer from back in the day! Got mine in 1990 - same model year as yours. It was nothing to look at, but it had the best neck I think I've ever played. I sort of still have it, but the necks on my Danelectro build, and the body's lying around with its upper horn chopped off. Silly move that :( I wanted it to look Telecaster-ish. Still got the horn, and I've looked at ideas for putting it back on. I should resurrect the poor old thing.

Sound wise mine was quite muddy too. But I ran it through a Marshall bass head and cranked the distortion to get a nice dirty Neil Young type sound back then. Used to play all of sides 3 and 4 from Live Rust in a little makeshift band I had back then. :D

bftfender likes this.
  18. coreytree

coreytree Tele-Meister

I have 2 1978 Ibanez that are fantastic. I have not played an RG, though I would like to. I would love to play the Metheny and George Benson and Scofield models.

Here is what I do have and love so much. They both play like butter and sound like caramel.

IMG_4595.JPG

Ibanez Artist 2619 - 1978
    Serial I787182
    Built Sept 1978, Japan, Terada Plant or Iida Plant?
    Production Number: 7182
    scale length 25"
    brass/bone nut 1 11/16"
    Contoured, solid mahogany body with maple cap & 3-ply binding
    Super 80 "Flying Finger" humbuckers
    Tri-Sound mini switches (access coil tapping & reverse phasing)
    Slender profile maple neck
    Ebony fingerboard with mother of pearl & abalone block inlays
    Ibanez Pat Pend tuners
    Antique Violin finish
    Original Hardshell case

IMG_4587.JPG
    Ibanez ST300 1978
    Serial Number J786980
    Made October 1978, Terada Plant, Japan
    Scale Length 25-1/2"
    24 frets
    Rosewood fingerboard
    Medium Jumbo frets
    3 piece Set neck
    Tune-o-matic style bridge
    V-2 pickups
    Tri-tone switch = passive humbuckers, split for single coil, or engage the active circuit in both modes for a volume or gain boost.
    Body: Ash/ Walnut/ Maple/ Walnut/ Ash
    Neck: Laminated Rock Maple
    Rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets
    25.5" scale
    Excellent 18 to 1 ratio tuners
    Heavy Gold plated hardware
    Original Hardshell case

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of these Artist series ART100s (random internet picture) and it's a really nice guitar. It badly needed a cap swap but that was easy. Korean-built and like the newer PRS SE guitars which they seem to sell similar prices to on the used market.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have this 1970 Global that was contract built by Ibanez back then. It's been modded a lot. If you've played a flat body Epiphone Special this one is just like that.
    StratandGlobal_IMG_4737c.JPG

I've flipped some GIOs. They are fine too.

Ibanez has models all over the genres and price points. I suspect Samick is closely involved with them but don't know for sure.

tintag27 and bftfender like this.
  20. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ibanez has great QC. Doesn't matter which price point you look at. From $200 to $3k+, everything they make is as good or better than anything else in that price point.

Once you move into the $1k range you start getting some of the best fret and nut work in the biz.

I'm generally not a fan of the "wizard" series of necks. But there are many models that have very comfortable profiles outside of those.

I'm a huge fan of the hardtail RG models. I'd also really like a Scofield.

bftfender likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.