Are Hohner Telecasters recognizable?

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
BFF84F89-F8C3-41FD-90C9-C6ADB057D8D5.jpeg

They may not sound or look as good as a Fender Telecaster, but Hohner still makes some very good quality Tele copies.

Perhaps well known for playing the Hohner Telecaster is Prince, who also played real Fender Telecasters.
Here is an interesting article on the Hohner Telecaster copies:

I saw a Hohner caster on Reverb on sale for only $1,999. Pretty pricey for guitar. But I will say that Hohner does a good job of recreating the butterscotch blonde finish.

If anybody finds Hohner guitars to be good please let me know. I have a Hohner harmonica if anyone wants to hear it.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
I never cared for the Prince persona, I couldn't name a single thing he ever did. The only time I ever watched him play was on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" at the R & R HOF show. It may sound strange to some, but I was surprised he played so well.

All that to say that I don't judge Hohner tele copies or any other Hohner guitar by him. But since you asked if "anybody finds Hohner guitars to be good..." I would suggest you check out the Hohner Owners thread in the Guitar Clubs section.

RMLamey

TDPRI Member
View attachment 945126
They may not sound or look as good as a Fender Telecaster, but Hohner still makes some very good quality Tele copies.

Perhaps well known for playing the Hohner Telecaster is Prince, who also played real Fender Telecasters.

I saw a Hohner caster on Reverb on sale for only $1,999. Pretty pricey for guitar. But I will say that Hohner does a good job of recreating the butterscotch blonde finish.

If anybody finds Hohner guitars to be good please let me know. I have a Hohner harmonica if anyone wants to hear it.

Hohner , Morris,, Lawrence are all excellent Japanese quality built teles. I didn't know much about them until recently trading into a 72 style Morris, dud a deep search on these and the others made by the same parent company (name escapes me). They are typical of that Japanese quality , on mine wich was made in the mid 70s, everything works great, even the volume/tone pots are very responsive, smooth etc.

There were a few Hohners on reverb recently that sold pretty quickly or were pulled.

At some point ude like to add a Hohner or Bill Anderson to the collection.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
Hype. Hohner copies of Fenders and Les Pauls were just typical Japanese copies like most of them out there. Better quality than the bolt-on the junkers, but no "secret weapon" like lots of people seem to think. I've owned a couple Hohners and wasn't all that impressed with them.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
The Hohner madcat pictured above is only telecaster shaped, and was originally made by a different company, then had the hohner name put on it. It has a different bridge, a maple cap, and the pickups are basically strat pickups. It has a certain kind of attack that appeals to players who do a lot of funk rhythm, like Prince did, and it's specific appeal may be missed by rock players and traditional telecaster fans.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a Hohner Professional TE Custom (Tele clone with carved headstock and humbucker in the neck position). It's gloss black with cream binding around the body with a maple neck and white MOTO guard. Fairly heavy for a Tele but it plays well and sounds great.

I found it on the used pile at a GC in Tucson, AZ in 2004. It was in near mint condition. The tag was marked $120 and I laid a Franklin on the counter. SOLD!

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
Hohner also made several headless basses in the Eighties and Nineties, largely to keep up with the basses that Steinberger and Kiesel made that had no headstock.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
View attachment 945126

Hold out for a pawn shop… Reverb has become a fantasy market for some sellers. Depends on the area, but I find Hohners at local pawn shops pretty frequently. Usually under $300, must have had a dealer around here at one point. Amps, too.