Are Guitar Players Generally Financially Poor?

moonman2

Tele-Meister
My mom always wanted a bassoon. Unfortunately she never got one.
At least not in this dimension. I'll check the current status when able, but I don't think I'll be able to post an update.
She never got one because she realised that learning to blow the meat whistle was easier. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes I went there 😆

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
There are so many factors. The guy in Smalltown, USA may well be the best player in the county, but will go nowhere as a full-time player as the there is not enough market to support him. Then you have the guy from Big Cityville who is twice the player of Smalltown guy, but can't catch a break because he is an unknown. The wisdom lies in knowing what & where your opportunities are and how to take advantage when those opportunities present themselves.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I tell my wife that she's lucky i didn't head down the motor sport path like some friends and colleagues of mine have done, happily spending 5K on a race meet on a regular basis (entry fees, tyres, rebuild a gearbox/diff/top end/whatever, accomm, fuel etc) on top of the price of the race car, the tow vehicle, the trailer etc.. Sheesh!

My wife is very tolerant, but I have a dead car in the trailer at the rental trailer lot.

I have learned a lot, had a lot of fun, but I need to make a break from it and having a hard time letting go.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Charles Mingus (not a guitar player... bass player) was a postman.

So was John Prine.

Kris Kristofferson was military and then helicopter pilot and a janitor.

Sting was a teacher.

So was Sheryl Crow.

Willie sold vacuum cleaners and disc jockeyed.

Elvis drove a truck.

I've had so many jobs (with a college education and 2 degrees) that I really can't remember them all. Playing music (all of the time) along with the supplement of all of those jobs.

Lots of "musicians" were really only part-time musicians.

Until they got a break and could let go of their actual money-making jobs.

imo.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
There's a reason the term "starving artist" has been around for awhile. It's not relegated to any particular instrument or medium, many artists simply place their vocation above financial reward.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Uh, it works for me, I never felt poor.
By most people’s standards, I am.
I’m family, friend, music and guitar rich, though.
Filthy rich, actually.
It ain’t lost on me.
I know lots of wealthy “guitar guys”, too.
As far as I can tell, I’m happier.
Lucky me!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I think the correct answer is many professional guitarist and musicians who try to make a living at it struggle.
Most folks who play guitar made their living doing something else so have not struggled.
This sight asks a lot and discusses the value of guitars and music gear. One post might be complaining about the cost of a $200 Squier. The following post might be showing off their new $6,000 custom Telecaster. We have them all. Everyone values and purchases what they wish to own and what they can afford.