Are Guitar Players Generally Financially Poor?

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Poor? not a word I would use.

Do you see a Guitar Center in this Pic?

View attachment 944775
There's not one here either, to be fair.

1643234760393.png

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Almost daily a new thread is started bemoaning the price of guitar related items. As best I can recall this has been way before any current global economy issue.

I can’t think of another recreation population I’m around which talks so much about cost. My individual experience is guitar is more affordable than snow skiing, golfing, mountain biking, shooting. And my guess is motor sports and boating are significantly more expensive.

Most of these other activities are recreational, one, and two they're done outdoors away from crowds. So, you can still do these despite the dislocations we're going through now. So, those enthusiasts are out kayaking or mountain biking or sailing or fishing or whatever, and if they need to replace something they're resigned to just paying and getting back to the fun.

Guitar Players, in some case are/were "pros" and they're in many cases having to earn money other ways. So, they haven't the ready cash that (some at least) had 4 years ago. But I also think some people simply are left with nothing to do but complain since they're playing out so little now, maybe not rehearsing or jamming anymore, and I would understand fully if a guy who couldn't make full use of his electric guitar would be miffed that the price went up (and not down).

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Go through the demographics a bit closer and you will find the answers:

A high percentage of guitar players are teenagers.
Teenagers have no money.
They work part time jobs for minimum wage, saving up to get 'their dream guitar' only to find the price has just gone up another twenty percent!

The next large percentage of guitar buyers are those with small families, slugging away at a solid but low pay job that in time could be something but for now it's a slog with a long commute. They are in their 20s to 30s. They had to give up the motorcycle because it was unsafe and expensive. And the same thing happens, they saved up for the dream guitar only to discover: the price went up twenty percent!

That is the source of the problem.

Less than 5% of the guitars sold are priced over $3,000. It's easy to find Dentists and Lawyers to buy them. Or players who chose another successful opportunity along the way like owning a plumbing business. This wealthy demographic saved up and can afford the dream guitars, even if the prices increased.

They don't complain so much about guitar prices so it seems like the default condition is that no guitar player has any cash.

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Ive been poor even before i started playing guitar. Lol.

But i got a roof on our (3 + 1 dog) heads and food on the table. So i guess, I’m not rich, but I’m generally okay.

I still have some CC charges for when I really am in desperate need of funds for food or something impt

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I consider myself as doing okay. I have a roof over my head, food on the table and clothes on the backs of both myself and my family. We won't be holidaying in The Hamptons any time soon, (reference for the U.S. readers) but thing are okay.

On the other hand I don't consider myself much of a guitar player so maybe it all balances out in the end.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Go through the demographics a bit closer and you will find the answers:

A high percentage of guitar players are teenagers.
Teenagers have no money.
They work part time jobs for minimum wage, saving up to get 'their dream guitar' only to find the price has just gone up another twenty percent!

So it’s teenagers starting threads on TDPRI?

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
Really? $400-500 for a nice guitar is a luxury? (I do realize I'm fortunate.)
Well I guess it is if you can't afford a roof over your head or food on table, then $400-500 would be a luxury that you can't afford. That's very difficult if you earn your living playing it though, since you need the tools for the job. (I also realise I'm fortunate).

I have noticed that since getting into a band, most of the other guys don't spend money buying new gear. They just stick with what they have and make it work. Some youngers tutors I've had in the past haven't had very expensive guitars (but still make them sound amazing, which is quite humbling). I've also met some well off hobby musicians who had very expensive equipment, but couldn't really play that well. Since they could afford it, then I don't see the harm in it and in some cases they did stick at it and got pretty good in the end, so they have nice gear that they can play well now.

Now that I'm approaching an early retirement I'm becoming much more aware of the cost of all things. I'm actually planning on selling off a few guitars, amps and pedals, but it's not a very good 'investment' since most of them will sell for much less than I paid for them. I might as well liquidate some of the collection though as I've had long enough to enjoy it and work out what I really won't miss and what I would if I sold it.

Since the only extra money I'll have coming in is from gigging, above a modest pension that doesn't fully cover the bills (I'll have to subsidise using savings), so I don't expect to be rolling in cash. On the plus side, if things don't work out, I'm young enough to go back to work again, so again I realise I'm fortunate (and that work in my field is fairly plentiful in my area). If I make it through until I can start taking one of my private pensions then I'll have done it being a poor(ish) musician.

naneek

Tele-Holic
now skiing, golfing, mountain biking,
fundamental difference:
those are just leisure activities. music can be a vocation. people rely on guitars to make a living. for musicians the price of guitars, gear, and repairs are the cost of doing business.

when those costs go up, it eats into profits and it impacts people's livelihoods.

people don't have that level of stakes riding on something they do for leisure. unless you are a guide, a ski instructor, or an olympian, none of those other activities are really that important to someone's livelihood.

also, skiing and golfing are traditionally hobbies for rich families. I think if you're hearing someone talking about skiing or golfing at all, they are probably not that concerned about their finances.

it's might be different out in the country or suburbs, but in my experience people from the city who golf or ski are usually on easy street from the get go. they own cabins, pay for expensive country club memberships etc.

not really comparable to a working musician.

Last edited: