1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

are Gretsch's really plywood?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Lee Harvey, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

I like that green...

Very very nice color

2. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

Well, you kind of came here looking for a fight, I think, not a discussion. It would be like someone posting they were considering a Tele until they found out it was a bolt on neck. I could see someone having a wrong opinion that a bolt on neck is a sign of cheapness...but we know that to be wrong (maybe it's cheaper to manufacture, but it's also part of the recipe we love). Same thing here.

Of course if you are worried about the top freely resonating as much as possible, you'd be better off looking for a jazzbox with a floating neck pickup first, before you start worrying about a laminated top. THEN you could spend the $6000 for an entry level solid carved top jazz box if you still had concerns. It's a free world. But Chet Atkins, Duane Eddy, George Harrison and countless others have managed to make righteous sounds on a laminated guitar.

3. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

I completely worded everything wrong...

It's my fault. I should have waited till I wasn't already pissy

4. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Well I'm glad we've got all that behind us. But, being the blatant opportunist that I am I still want to show off my laminate guitars.

Lee, you've already appologised once. If that ain't good enough tell em all to take a hike. None of this stuff is all that important anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

Look at it this way: At least you started a thread that received #104 posts :!:

:D

....so....now are you going to consider that Gretsch? :twisted: ;)

(Further apologies not needed. :p )

6. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

: ) my hollowbody

image-1967496177.jpg

7. afoolsparadise

afoolsparadise Tele-Meister

Your checkbook, buy what makes you happy.

While you're shopping check out this builder:Blue Belly Guitars. Never played one but they look pretty sweet...

8. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

Because this is where the really good responses start showing up. :D

FWIW, I have a Martin 000-1R with laminated back and sides.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

This is what kills me about this forum.

10. Dawg

Dawg Tele-Holic

My custom shop ES345 made to '61 spec.

[​IMG]

Laminate guitars have been around for years.

My 1954 Gretsch Duo Jet is laminate wood top with a piece of plastic 'nitron' as the top layer! They went to straight laminate wood after '57

[​IMG]

11. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

Perfect. Well played.

12. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

This if from Roger Sadowsky's site where he's discussing his Jim Hall model archtop:

Why is the guitar made of laminated wood instead of solid wood?
    a) Jim Hall’s D’Aquisto is made of laminated maple.

b) Jim’s previous guitar was an ES-175 which is also a maple laminate guitar.

c) Jim and I (and many other players) believe that a laminated top sounds superior to a solid wood top when played through an amplifier, with less feedback as well. Of the original prototypes, one was built with a 5-ply maple top, and the other with a spruce top. The 5-ply maple was the clear winner when played through an amp.

I have been successful in designing a top and back that is considerably thinner than any other laminates available. The result is greater acoustic resonance without any sacrifice in feedback resistance.

13. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The "cheap" Benedettos are plywood. As you can tell from this video the stigma around them is real - not much mention in this about lamination...

And the fact that the OP has only just found out that so many guitars are ply, shows it's not something manufacturers have been advertising.

I've never seen a sticker on a new gibson that said, "LAMINATED TOP FOR EXTRA TONE!"

Honestly though, these days with CNC machines it's probably more expensive to laminate a top than it is to carve one - especially from a paint grade wood. Laminating is labour-intensive.

14. BackDoorMan

BackDoorMan TDPRI Member

It doesn't matter what they're made from, as long as it sounds great, and you're happy when you play it.

15. MonkeyKing

MonkeyKing Tele-Meister

I think this shows just how far downstream from the `Golden Age ` we`ve come. I can`t believe how many people LEAPT to plywoods defense!
    WHY? ? ?

Are we so used to swallowing a guitar makers rationale for cutting costs that we have lost reason? ? ? is this the age of Faith Based Luthiery? ? ?
    ( then again, on the capacitor threads, maybe that`s not even funny!)

I want a solid top on my acoustic -why would a plywood top be better there? ? It TOLERABLE on yer electrics beCAUSE they`re electrics!

What started this off was GRETSCH -and we know that the top end gretsches-your brain setzer, Rev. Horton Heats, etc are made by a different manufacturer than the rest - (heritage in Michigan used to, I dunno who does now -and I think there`s something WRONG/dishonest with that, just like the two teer ( or in fenders case, 8 teer) system stinks!)

The top of the line plywood gretsch is going to be better than the balsa wood and chinese toothpaste one for sure, but probably for alot of reasons besides materials.

16. BackDoorMan

BackDoorMan TDPRI Member

Pretty much nailed it on the head w/ this one. Acoustics are a whole different animal, and I don't really care what's on the headstock; that top better be SOLID! :lol:

17. KBCL

KBCL Tele-Meister

You had me until "yer".

18. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Eastman has a non cut acoustic archtop that has a solid top. If glue and lamination gives you fits, you could mount a p/u on one of these. i can't believe how good these sound unplugged, and for 1100.00 street, you'll love it.

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Plywood guitars are from the "Golden Age".

20. john kleeman

john kleeman Tele-Holic

Laminated tops? Next thing you know people will defend bolt on necks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.