1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Gibsons worth their price point?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tele-nova, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Coloradotwanger

Coloradotwanger Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am and have always been a Fender guy.I looked for the right used LP to add to my collection for many years.I finally found a LP Studio that was made well,played well,and sounded well.I put a set of Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in her.Had her fret sprout fixed.I am happy!My Gibson "box" is checked.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve played dozens and dozens of them (in stores and borrowed from friends and even played a gig or three with one).

Also, I was loaned one for about two years (friend protecting his guitar from unruly stepchildren). He told me to play it as much as possible.
    I did.
    I loved the tone, the looks, even the weight.
    Hated the feel.
    The “B” string always felt hinky.
    Even though I’ve played (and owned and loved) other Gibson-scale guitars, I couldn’t find a Les Paul that felt right to me.

I just could not bond with any of them—from the mid-level Epiphone to my wealthy friend’s kick-butt Custom Shop version. (That’s ok. He doesn’t like Telecasters...)

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Junior and a cheap Flying V copy, and love them both...one of the best acoustics I’ve ever played was an Epiphone Hummingbird copy from the 70’s (Gibson copy)

I just haven’t found a Les Paul that works for me.

I’ll keep trying...and hope it is a cheap one.

fjblair and StrangerNY like this.
  3. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I’ve owed several Gibson’s electric and acoustic, never had a problem with any. My Hummingbird is the finest acoustic I’ve ever owned and the most beautiful. It’s worth every dollar I paid for it.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have to 100% agree- you can't compare a Gibson to an Epiphone. They are indeed two different animals, one dressed up to look like the other. Mind you, the new Epiphones are really good- especially at their price point. Not Gibson Standard good, but really good. If I was a regularly gigging or touring guitarist, Epiphone guitars would be on my list of roadworthy guitars. However, nothing is quite like a Gibson. I own a faded SG Special and although I paid less for it than most higher end used Epis sell for, it is a lot more guitar than any Epiphone I have ever played. It just feels more right, and this is coming from someone who will sing the praises of Epiphone all day long.

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Mine are good enough to demand what I paid for them. I think I was lucky because I didn’t pay an arm and leg for any of them. But even more so they are great instruments. They are really a guitar player’s guitar.

6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Uh huh, yada yada. You bought a Gibson so you value Gibson. You haven’t bought an Epiphone.

tubelectron likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The LP Tributes, at $1199, are the same price as the entry level MIA Fender Performer series. They don't have the bling of the Standards, like flamey tops and binding, but in every other way, they are a great playing and sounding Les Paul, fitted with two 490 pickups instead of the horrible 498 at the bridge that some LPs have had. I love 490s, and they sound as good IMO as Burstbuckers and '57 Classics.
    CZ3D8hyS4Ua8KcFTNLnvRS-1200-80.jpg

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Those are cool guitars. I had a 60s Tribute P-90 Gold Top that I just sold. Plenty of bang for the buck with those guitars.

- D

9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Yes.

10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I found a Custom Shop R8 a few years back for $2500. It played and sounded like an actual 58 the dad of one of my friends used to let me borrow in high school. It's unique from my Fender guitars and I think it was worth it. It's not better or worse however, just different like another color of sound. Here it is. LP.jpg

11. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I believe they are. I still like the idea of used and am wary of the broken headstock but when shopping for a jazz guitar I came upon a Gibson 175 that just has the it factor in spades. Its worth playing some even though I am a fender guy. The studio line has some good ones too

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"Price point?" Definitely not, because 'price point' is the range of possible prices that [pick an item] can be sold for on the open market. It is not what something sells for. The upper ranges of price point usually make the item in question too costly for the market.

Retail cost? That's different, and that depends on the specific instrument and how badly you want it. Every Gibson I own was worth what I paid for it, and then some. However, there were a bunch I considered too costly for what they were.

You have to decide for yourself, because you're not buying milk or a loaf of bread. You're buying a cultural icon that is more than just the wood and metal and plastic parts it's made of.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  13. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

You'd be surprised. There are a lot of people out there with disposable income that they just don't know what to do with. They figure they might as well have an expensive guitar as anything else.

A lot of people also buy high end instruments as an investment. And that's a completely different discussion, imo.

14. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks! I'll go back and correct.

15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

FWIW a Gibson LP Standard will run you the same $ as it did 50 years ago (inflation adjusted). Not all old Gibsons were masterpieces, same as today. They are priced accordingly for the Gibson business model, the same way Fender prices its guitars. A Gibson Les Paul is a very different instrument than a Strat or Tele - not better or worse, just different. I like having all three for different reasons. IMO the current Gibson SGs are the best bang-for-buck guitar Gibson makes.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  16. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

For me, no. The set neck and bent headstock are too much trouble. I have played some used Les Paul studios that sounded good and an SG Jr is an amazing looking guitar. But no. XD

17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Maybe yes, maybe no. I wouldn't pay for a Gibson or Fender custom shop guitar, a signature model, or anything deemed mega special and selling over $2500.

Quality has been hit or miss at Gibson as they've gone through various corporate takeovers and management strategies. Lately it's said to be much better with the new instruments. But, I'm a used buyer anyway - let someone else take the "drive off the lot" depreciation.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I say yes, they are worth it. I have never owned a Gibson, but my wife, the bass player has a Gibby LP Studio to die for. The best semi-hollow and the best acoustic I have ever played were Gibsons. I think where people lose perspective is when they pay more than $500 for a bolt-on neck simple slab body guitar.

driver8 likes this.
  19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I really like the look of this guitar. As in, REALLY like it. It's all subjective of course, but I think this looks better than the blingier ones.

Pax/
    Dean

Erebia, Electric Warrior and DougM like this.
  20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Here's another gorgeous one. I worked at a Gibson dealer for almost fifteen years (until a couple of years ago), so I've seen and played a lot of Les Pauls, and these Tributes are/were some of my favorites. I like them as much as Classics, Traditionals, Studios, and Standards, and much more than the faded brown and cherry series that preceded them.
    129392A.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.