1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Gibsons worth their price point?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tele-nova, Dec 3, 2020.

1. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

In a word...No ...but what can you do?

2. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

If in the market for a new Les Paul, you owe it to yourself to find a brick & mortar store that stocks Gibson and Epiphone (particularly the 2020 lineup) for some serious a/b playing. Then ask the question of how much is that name on the headstock worth to you...

driver8 likes this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

For the record, I've owned maybe 20 or so Gibsons over the years, and currently own 5.

Never broke a headstock, and the only tuning problem I've ever had was on an early 60s Melody Maker.

If you know how to set 'em up, they stay in tune.

- D

4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Whatever floats your boat. Seriously, follow your bliss regarding brand-recognition, it's your money and your happiness. It's about your happiness.

I buy guitars that GRAB me intellectually or stylistically. It's a given that they play good and feel good, those are the basics. A $500 guitar that plays as well as a $2500 guitar is the norm, not the exception - if it doesn't it fails - it's a guitar and has to fulfill that basic function to get on the bus. It's not that hard.

I'm a lot happier with a guitar I think is "cool" or has a color I like than if it has more pros than cons in a list. And I am a degenerate list-maker. I really don't want to sit around playing a guitar for my own amusement thinking about how it's as good as the one I really wanted but I got a great deal on it.

I *personally* want the brand on the headstock, and I recognize that it's shallow. Except for this - it's a guitar and it's magical and not a commodity. The good ones are more than the sum of their parts.

So I watch and wait and bide my time, I buy used and fix them up and don't take too much of a bath, I stay in my spending limit.

My answer is "Yes, Gibsons are worth it". And Fenders, and Martins, and Nationals, and Supros, and Danalectros, and Guilds, and Mosrites. And others I haven't experienced yet. They have meaning!

I don't knock people who think otherwise either, hopefully they're happy too, no reason not to be.

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've got two Gibsons that weren't worth what I payed for them and still aren't. So why don't I sell them? Well they're decent guitars and just because I screwed myself buying them doesn't mean I have to screw myself selling them. Just to put things in perspective it's not just that they are over priced it's that they are grossly overpriced.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    tele-nova likes this.
  6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

If you want a nice Gibson, you'll have to play a bunch before you find one worth the money.
    I wanted a LP a few years ago. I tried every LP under $2000 at three different GC's. The 'best' was a $900 LP Studio. It played well, sounded decent but it was a special. No maple cap. At that point I gave up the quest for an LP. I ordered a Kiesel SCB6 instead, no regrets.

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  7. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

B431D9DE-A616-4F76-A907-DA1A95036F27.jpeg Considering I want an ES-335 I’m thinkin yes. It will eventually happen.

Well there is also this:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    bftfender likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

any guitar or amp is only worth what some one will pay for it , the question should be would I pay 3-15 G for a gibson new ? no , I do not see the quality they had before and the prestige of owning one has no bearing on the price point , just a C&C body with electronics you will most likely replace and in some cases nasty fret sprout, set up and finish.

the same can be said for all the big names in the industry.

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Yes. Gretsch, Ibanez or Yamaha. Let's see. Should I pay double or triple to buy a Gibson knowing that I may have to visit multiple stores culling through guitars to find one without flaws or should I go Japanese knowing that I'd have to do the same to find one that has a flaw.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  10. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth TDPRI Member

Hard to believe looking back, I guess MF had a need to clear inventory, so I got a new Les Paul Studio about 5 yrs plus ago for $599, gold hardware, wine red, lefty, HSC. Obviously at that price very much worth it. It seems very well made, sounds really good, holds tune without issue, and of course very different to my Fender stuff. However I still find it uncomfortable to use, I guess I’m used to Strat ergonomics, and scale length. Gorgeous rich tone but doesn’t get used much... well worth it if you see a good deal etc and feel the need for something different....

Weaselcoon likes this.
  11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I got a Les Paul Classic Lite recently and it is magical. I have...I think...5 other Gibsons right now. Even the lowly SG Special is a great guitar.

I'd say if you think you might want one after all these years of playing, go out when you can and try as many as you can. That way you'll know when you get that magical one, and that's the one you buy, new or used.

StrangerNY likes this.
  12. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Guess they’re worth it to folks who want one... that is all

13. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Who would pay for something if they didn't want it?

14. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

The two giants in the guitar world, Gibson and Fender. And two completely different companies and two completely different guitars. Fender is the pure utilitarian guitar. Leo Fender wanted to make as many as quickly and inexpensive as he could. He hit a home run right off with the Telecaster. Gibson has it own unique sound. And they are not only a great guitar, they are pieces of art. Heavy as hell, but absolutely beautiful is the Les Paul. Are they worth the money? That’s for the consumer to decide.

hnryclay likes this.
  15. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

If we're talking about a person buying their one great electric guitar, then they seem like a good enough value to me when compared to what sax players, cellists, etc have to pay for a pro quality instrument.

I guess the value question is a bigger deal for those of us who aren't pros and just like having a few guitars.

Also - don't we see blowout pricing (or at least deep discounts) on some Gibson models at some point every year? Those discounted LPs and SGs that fall into the $800-$1900 range seem like good values to me (assuming the specific guitar isn't a dud).

If you have to have a specific model right now and can't wait for a large sale, then new LPs certainly get expensive fast.

StrangerNY likes this.
  16. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Not I

17. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i’ve never broken a headstock on a Gibson. but then again, I treat them with respect and don’t lean them precariously up against stuff or throw them on the floor. and left hand always grabs the neck when you’re standing. common sense stuff. just sayin’.

Goldenshellback and StrangerNY like this.
  18. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

I have a Tokai SG that I put DiMarzio '59 pickups on. Great guitar. Looks great, sounds great, stays in tune.I've had two Epiphone SGs, both had cracked headstocks. Total loss.

Catawompus likes this.
  19. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

if i'm paying over $1k for a solid body guitar it better be vintage or from a really great luthier or small shop.

i have a couple of epiphones that i like ok, and i bet you'd be hard pressed to tell them from a gibson on a recording or live with your back to the stage if i swapped out the pickups.

20. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I have a serious serious love/hate relationship with Gibson. Serious, I tells ya’....
    I absolutely love what they generally do, and feel I need to have at least one for that “thing” they do, but:

‘89 Explorer (maxed truss rod, and truss rod nut starting to come through back of headstock.)

‘91 Flying V (neck twisted and still twisting when I let it go)

‘98 61 RI SG (sweet jesus what a crappy guitar. Dead sounding, zero zero zero sustain and multiple dead spots.)

‘96 ES335 (similar deal as the Explorer. Absolutely could not get the neck flat, and was still creeping when I let that one go.)

‘10 Explorer ( I tried again with an Explorer but good lord, another lemon. Twisting neck AND frozen truss rod.)

The two best Gibsons I’ve had (have) are Les Pauls. A 97’ LP Gem and an ‘07 LP Classic Antique,
    To be fair, I got a solid decade+ out the ‘89 Explorer and generally played the crap out of it, but still... Am I the asshat for wanting more? Anyway, as expensive as Gibsons are, and my foray square into HenryLand era Gibson with these guitars, Its hard to justify the cost with all of the neck issues. Apologies for the rant!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.