Are Gibsons worth their price point?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tele-nova, Dec 3, 2020.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

It's really a crap shoot.

If you have the money, and absolutely have to have a Les Paul, expect to go through about 4 or 5 of them before you find one that doesn't have playability issues and/or glaring finish flaws. At least that's been my experience.

For a fraction of the price, you can find plenty of guitars that 100% look and sound the part but won't have these issues.

It just won't come with the exclusive mystique of owning "A Gibson".

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

no worries. I think if you want to criticize the quality, it’s totally fair game, the quality had hit the floor for some years. but I think it actually comes from cutting corners in the human department. Which I think might be a little more sad.

Frodebro and jhundt like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I love Les Pauls in other players’ hands...some of my favorite guitarists (Billy Gibbons, Peter Green, Freddie King, Jimmy Page) made a lot of my favorite music with a Les Paul.

For some reason, I can’t bond with them...they just don’t work for me.

As cool as they look and as good as they sound when other people play them, I’m probably going to go through life without ever owning a Les Paul.

I hope you find yours...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Ron C and sloppychops like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity

I saw somewhere that the new leadership has made the new standard line the same prices as 1959, with inflation of course

So at this time gibson are no more expensive than they’ve ever been

Which I think is cool

JRapp, ieatlions and loopfinding like this.
  5. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

yeah I think that’s totally fair, so long as they’re willing to combat wage stagnation for their employees. I’m willing to take a hit on those grounds.

6. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

I think yes they are worth it... the same apply to Rickenbackers and USA made Fenders. I'm happy to pay 2k (or less ;)) for any USA made instrument (as long as the instrument speaks to me you know)

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

It's 'a $1,000 guitar' with $3,000 of marketing for the headstock logo.
    Some people need the validation of that logo. Granted, Gibson has earned the logo value with massive Marketing investment spends over decades, free guitars to popular stage players, and more.

Half the Gibson buyers quickly swap pickups for other boutique builds -- so they obviously didn't buy the Gibson guitar for the Gibson tone, they bought it for the Lollar, Seymour Duncan, etc tones -- and the logo.

Look into the tuning issues (typically D-G string problems staying in tune).

Gibsons famously excel at headstock breakage drama -- the wailing of wives and the gnashing of teeth -- the whole works they break so easily. Google 'broken headstock' and you'll see mostly Gibsons pictured. Youtube videos on 'headstock repair' also show mostly Gibsons (videos by twofrds channel are good). A repaired headstock guitar is worth half of a similar unbroken used guitar, which is around a quarter of that new guitar price and don't forget the repair will cost you about that much. Plus ... if buying used Gibsons, you need to watch out for undisclosed repairs getting passed along ... and fakes.

Skip the drama, get:
    A Harley Benton SC450, 550, or CustomII -- under $250
    Or a 2020 Epiphone -- between $400-$600 -- as Epiphone has built in modern fixes to avoid such weak headstock problems.
    Eastman Les Pauls are supposed to be pretty good, but they run higher.
    Heritage brand Les Pauls from Kalamazoo are made in the same factory as the original Gibson 50s bursts. All modern Gibsons are made in Nashville. So which is likely more representative? Some players don't like the Heritage headstock shape ... again, marketing.

You can swap in any of those boutique pickups and have the same tone the Gibson guys get after their pickup swaps ;)

8. Neener

Neener Tele-Afflicted

Buy used, recycle!

9. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Yes, for me.
    I love my Gibby.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

But, why don't you go out and play some of them, compare the new epiphones with the Gibsons in the store, that'll give you some perspective.

11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Get a used LP Studio for around $800 and see for yourself - I don't think this question has an answer because "worth it" means different things to different people. To me - it would be fun to own an LP again, but I have plenty of guitars and they fill a niche that I don't really need filled.
    Someday I'll buy a semi hollow type but I couldn't say if it had to be a Gibson or not. There are so many good guitars nowadays.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  12. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I played a Standard Les Paul a while back at Sam Ash. It sounded nice and seemed to be setup well. I didn't really spend a lot of time looking for faults, but did find the top underwhelming. For that kind of money I want a book matched top with decent figure. I feel like I could find something nicer for the money. I don't care about a name on a headstock.

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I'd rather get another Gretsch.

glenlivet likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

No offense, but not a rational question. They are by definition worth what they cost, worth being defined by what folks are paying for them. What this question may contain, is code. As in, "Are folks unwisely paying more for an inferior product?". If not, disregard.

15. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

Before Mark Agnesi took over, I didn’t even look at Gibson’s after I started playing again. I liked the Les Paul Classics, but didn’t really like the rest of the lineup. I saw an interview with him after he took over and he was talking about how Gibson had gotten away from their customer base and he wanted to bring it back. I like most of what I’ve seen starting last year. The specials and juniors are cool, and my Standard I bought a couple of months ago has easily turned into my number one. I never had to touch the setup.

But that’s just my opinion.

StrangerNY likes this.
  16. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Holic

Is a Martin worth $3000?

I can’t say whether a Gibson is better than a Fender or better value. But I’d say building a Gibson involves more craftsmanship than a Fender. You’ve got multiple body woods, glued neck, and the curved headstock. That requires more work than Fender, which are slabs with non-angled bolt-on necks. And the resale and long term values of Gibsons is pretty strong.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  17. richiek65

richiek65 Poster Extraordinaire

Go for a Made in Japan eg Orville, Tokai, Burny, Edwards, Greco. I paid AUD2200 for my Orville 335, a tech i took it to for a set up said its as good as the $6.5k Gibson custom shop he recently had thru his shop IMG_20200922_204406_copy_2112x1584.jpg

Jerry_Mountains and Catawompus like this.
  18. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

If you're going to run it through a boost and an OD into a distorted amp...no. If you're going to play it fairly clean...yes.

stnmtthw likes this.
  19. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Afflicted

I'm just curious, how do you know they don't work for you if you've never owned one?

JRapp likes this.
  20. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I bought my first Gibson in 1968, an SG Standard with the Maestro Vibrola.

I didn't even know how to play guitar. I was playing combo organ in a band, was making money and wanted a guitar.
    Fast forward to today, I have a Gibson Les Paul doublecut, faded (2004).
    Many others in the intervening years.
    I can't really comment on the QC of my guitar. Everything works as intended and it is completely stock.
    It sounds and plays great.
    6.2 lbs.
    '50s style neck.
    Pickups - N 8.02k, B 8.15k

My first experience with a LP Jr was back in the late
    '60s when a band mate played an old Jr. (Not sure what year it was.) He got so much good music out of that simple guitar and I was amazed that a single pickup guitar could do so much.
    My LPDC reminds me of that old Jr. and takes me back. I even have a second pickup!

My second favorite Gibson was a Les Paul Custom I bought used in 1970. Best I can figure, it was a late '60s model.
    I loved that guitar - sooooo easy to play.
    Stolen in 1972, woof.
    It was stunning looking and weighted as much as a small car.

Mark

p5_uvzy5hbbm_so.jpg

LPDC and Mojotone 5f11 tweed vibrolux
    IMG_20200820_184944.jpg

edit: My first tele was a used MIM Muddy Waters tele I got in 2006. Foolishly I sold it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.