1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Gibsons worth their price point?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tele-nova, Dec 3, 2020.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

It dawned on me today that I can't recall ever playing a gibson. I have always been a fender guy and I guess les Paul's never really spoke to me.

Until recently.

I feel like I need to own a les Paul. I was just browsing some gibson models online and wow. Its like $1,500 just to get in the room. More desirable models are $2,000-4,500.

Are gibson's really that good to command those sums? I mean the money spent on an entry level les Paul could buy you a nice fender. Certainly not top of the line but not entry level.

2. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

No.

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

in a word . . .
    :cool:

4. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    This isn't a question other people can answer. If a guitar speaks to you, and you feel like you need it, buy it. It depends on how much enjoyment you get from playing that guitar to determine the value. Just play stuff you can afford, or save up for that holy grail.

stnmtthw, Daz, StrangerNY and 7 others like this.
  5. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

In a nutshell? No!

As a Fender guy? Bring your money to the Custom Shop and be done with it for good.

Fendereedo, Alex_C and Ben-Zion like this.
  6. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

A tele is two pieces of wood screwed together. There’s a beauty in that simplicity. I love a Tele.

But a Gibson namely a Les Paul is an instrument. So much more craft goes into it.

Plenty of have a go heroes knocking together Tele’s and Strats. Same can’t be said for Gibson style guitars. You simply need better skills. So that in itself separates them in price.

You either like Les Pauls or you don’t. Not a very forgiving guitar. It shares that quality with a Tele IMO. The amount of Gibson hate on the forums is bordering on lunacy. Perpetuated mostly by people who have little experience with them.

My advice is go try plenty and make up
    Your own mind.

7. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

They aren’t. And I own three, all bought when dealers were flushing their stock of last year’s models. My SG special (not faded) would be about about 925 bucks in today’s money. My 335 would be about 2500. And they were at the end of the “good wood” era, where QC was pretty good. Those prices are totally worth it. They’re solid quality instruments. But now, they’re just ridiculously inflated nonsense for the quality you get (I mean still pretty good, but not 3-4K for a 335 good). And you can’t get a monster guitar like the 90s specials or studios for around 900 new. Once they started going into “faded” and firebird zeroes, the quality of the budget lines dropped. IMHO it only makes sense to buy them used from the 80s and 90s.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    bluesintheblood and SRHmusic like this.
  8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I love my Gibsons, and my teles. Gibson Les Pauls are without a doubt worth the money. There are loads of used ones out there too.

9. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Nope. I currently have 2, a 2019 LP Special (tv yellow, p90s) and a 2012 50’s tribute SG with p90s. I love the both, but it’s a lotto to get a good one. I adore Les Pauls, but tbh I mostly like my LP due to the look, and would have bought the Epi version had it been out.

My LP had bad finish issues (very badly cut and finished binding) out of the box, for which I got a nice discount (I was told that is was the best one they had seen, all the others were worse, but that’s modern Gibson...).

I have sold about 3 more in recent years as they had serious quality issues. I had a brand new SG that was pretty much unplayable.

About 4 years ago I really wanted a good LP as I love them... I played about 30 Gibsons, none were ‘right’. The only one I found that was perfect was a 1990s Custom Shop Historic that was very seriously overpriced at 5k€ plus!!

In the end the best LP I played was an Epiphone Goldtop...I changed the pickups to SD 59s and have never looked back...

I’d love a new Firebird but won’t buy Gibson again.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Fendereedo, nicknklv and Alex_C like this.
  10. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

I just got this two weeks ago. Tokai LS 136f violin burst. IMO it beats a Gibson LP Standard in just about every respect. Perfect Japanese craftsmanship.

IMG_20201118_152545.jpg

11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

No
    A Les Paul is not much more or less.

very little craft goes in to the making of a Les Paul. All of it is done with machines. It is nice to think of some guy in a wood-shop, hand-carving the arched top; or lovingly fitting the dove-tail neck joint. But that is fantasy - that is not how they are built.

I have been on this forum for over 20 years. I have never noticed any hate for Gibson Les Paul guitars. We joke about them, because that is good-natured banter. It is - after all - a forum dedicated to Telecasters. We like to have some fun at the expense of 'the other' guitar company.

But many of us also own one or more Gibsons. I certainly do.

EDIT!!! - please read further on this thread. I learned a lot about Gibson manufacturing, and I no longer support my own opinion as expressed above!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    Fendereedo, nicknklv, Flakey and 6 others like this.
  12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I don't think Gibsons or high end custom shop Fenders are worth it. But then again, I'm not the one paying for them.

Fendereedo, Abre, Dereksys38 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Depends on who you are. For me? I don’t think I’d pay $4500 for a guitar even if I had it to spend. So those models are off the table.

I shelled out $2k for a new Les Paul Classic back in July, and it’s worth every penny. I’d do it again tomorrow. Comparing this guitar to its Epi counterpart, well, it can’t be done. They’re apples and oranges.

That said, there are some people who can’t tell the difference. I don’t know how that works, but I’ve come to realize it’s true. For whatever reason, the obvious differences in sound and playability that cannot be overcome by a simple setup or pickup swap are not detectable to some people when comparing $500 guitars to $2K guitars. If you’re one of those folks, save your money. Or buy four fun guitars instead of one.

But if you’re one of those players for whom “good enough” or “close enough” simply isn’t, then get one. Because it really is an entirely different ride.

14. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Danb541 likes this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely not.

[​IMG]

Unless you like them.

Bob

P-Nutz, stnmtthw, tery and 14 others like this.
  16. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

My next LP will be a Tokai, shame they are always expensive in Europe :(

Generally wonderful guitars.

Stiles likes this.
  17. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I say they weren’t until Gibson changed the lineup last year. The Standard dropped from about $3200 to $2500 and you get a Les Paul Standard like you used to. No weight relief, no push/pull pots. No circuit board. Just a regular Les Paul Standard. The only difference now is if you want a 50s profile neck with Burstbucker 1 and 2 or a slim neck with hotter pickups. Considering I paid (I think) $1800 for a Standard in about 2002 I think it’s pretty reasonable.

18. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

what do you mean? they use machines to cut the bodies and necks...everything else is finished by hand. most small luthiers that own CNC machines would do the same for a solid body. they’re not a car factory.

P-Nutz, VWAmTele, swervinbob and 3 others like this.
  19. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you want an LP, nothing else is going to scratch that itch. Buying used is the way to go, especially if you focus on Standards and Traditionals and leave the R9s to the collectors. I would happily have paid MSRP for my Traditional; fortunately I got a screaming deal on it used so I didn't have to. Shop around, play lots of them, haggle. Be prepared to walk away if the deal doesn't suit you.

20. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Yeah, they are.

sax4blues, basher and Jakedog like this.
  21. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.