Are drums on the way out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It's not the drums, it's the drummer that matters. As a grad student, I helped out with a 2-week seminar in 1986, focusing on MIDI. Dave Garibaldi, Tower of Power drummer, taught a course on how to program drum machines from a drummer's point of view. He said a lot session drummers were starting to program drum machines. He acknowledged that there were still old-school guys whose physical and spiritual outlooks demanded drums, almost as if to test themselves everyday.

It was a long time ago, so who knows how much I have edited and embellished this. But it is my honest recollection.

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

In my singular, insulated, existence...today's commercial music has absolutely no importance. Like commercials on TV, I mute, change the station or ignore the stuff. But I get your point...beyond the human voice, it's the next instrument, so they'll always be there. Personally, I own a few drum machines & have natural, drum & percussion instruments, eyeing an electronic drum kit, in the near future, (due to condo/noise requirements).

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Another thing that many old geezers (like me) don't get is how technically ADVANCED today's YOUNG drummers are ,

they have tons of knowledge and education ,they are used to playing with the click from their...diapers and are way more ACCURATE and "correct" when recording than older dudes...this style of playing may sound "mechanical" to some but it is not,it is simply PERFECT...still to many older people they sound like "computers"...this together with the heavy editing that definitely happens in commercial records makes people think that the drums are "programmed" ,in reality they are not.

Like I said before 30 years ago "fake" drums were more prominent than they are today.

4. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Drums are not dissappearing.
    Many drummers move from electronic to acoustic drums.
    Not many move the other way.
    I write an aweful lot of drum beats into my scores using Sibelius. Playback is pretty darn good actually.
    I have been offered two drumming jobs using "their" electronic kits.
    I turned them both down.
    There is a whole different feel to electronic drums. They have a lot of bounce which makes them almost too easy to play. It's hard to explain.
    Certainly electronics are moving into music.
    It is usually very noticable and it's something I generally switch off.
    Then again there was a time I would be dissappointed when I saw a drummer using anything but traditional grip. Now I realize that the newer, now more popular "matched grip" has merit. It's way too late in life for me to switch.
    Anything that plays music has merit but you can have my acoustic drums when you can pry them from my dead cold fingers.
    Is everyone going to switch from a traditional tele to some kind of electronic computerized one? Not in my lifetime.
    There is such a thing in my mind as too perfect. Perfection is ugly.
    Then again, I am an aging dinasaur.

5. Nick Fanis

Traditional grip has a different SOUND and also has merit,as a producer I have turned many a drummer to traditional grip simply by showing them this video,no you CAN'T get THAT sound with matched grip (which is fine for rock),ok he IS the BEST drummer in the world anyhow but traditional grip helps to get THAT sound a LOT

6. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome - & I totally agree. I give prefrence in my band to any drummer with cross grip

Besides the tone, it helps for a more relaxed, behind the beat feel...

7. homesick345

Yes of course. But when in the car, I , like many people, just tune to whatever FM music & just roll with it.

As for Beirut, yes, there's a lot of music but good radio programs (classical, blues, jazz, rock etc..) which play quality music are all in "niche" programming & weird hours - like everywhere else I guess

I don't play Blues in my car. I sworn to never ever do it again, after I run a cyclist while I was blasting Otis Rush. I get too much into it & lose sight

PS: I took the cyclist in my car & rushed to the ER room. He was ok save for a small cut in his leg. It was 9am & I was going to work. Totally clean & sober - if you are wondering.

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

That does sound depressing.

9. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

If drums are on the way out they sure are taking their sweet time about it. When was the 808 invented? Early 70's?

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The Super Bowl Halftime show will be a good snapshot of the current state of pop music. I think you'll see some drums on that stage.

11. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

The FM Top-40 "Rhianna and stuff like that" commercial music cited by the OP, which I would take to mean pop music. Ex. http://www.at40.com/top-40/chart/39771

Check out the credits on the #1 song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_Old_Love

Of course there are other genres with real drums. But you'll notice a lot more solo artists than bands on the pop charts, because most of it is being made on a computer.

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

HI don't listen to drum machines or rythem that is a loop of samples. I got enough of that in the 80's.

There's lots of good honest music being produced today. Just listen to better music. Avoid the tween bop.

My drum machine.....Brad.

[​IMG]

Brad is a major dude. He'll be in style for a long time. We have fun.

[​IMG]

13. Nick Fanis

well I hate to break it to you but the vast majority of these songs have REAL DRUMS and drummers

ALL the music recorded today is "made on a computer" ,even artists that use TAPE (the very few that actually do) will at some point bounce their tracks in a DAW for mixing & editing & mastering.

No it is a PART of pop music,there is PLENTY of pop music with TONS of drums
    like these guys (total sales of around 1 BILLION records so I guess they are POPular :D)

Yes there are and they are the VAST majority of music today,bear in mind that even Rhianna has a drummer when she plays live and WHAT a drummer

14. homesick345

15. Nick Fanis

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

There always seems to be people who want to denigrate contemporary pop music with the ultimate insult that it doesn't use actual instruments, and then they make a sweeping statement that the end of "real" music is close at hand simply because they heard three songs that didn't use a live drummer.

Drums are not on the way out. Neither are guitars, horns, maracas, or background singers.

If you want to start an "I hate pop music" thread, don't bother with the faulty predictions based on one drive to work. Just say you hate pop music. You'll find plenty of people willing to agree.

17. Nick Fanis

+1000

Also think about it:

If drums were out would a corporation like YAMAHA invest MILLIONS of dollars for a new drum factory?Would DW spend millions to buy GRETSCH?Would all these drum companies churn out model after model of KILLER (and very expensive) drums each year?

I don't think so....

There has never been a time when better drums were made than today.

18. homesick345

Who denigrated the music? I enjoyed Rihanna song. It's super cute & fun...Where did you find sweeping statements?

As for the song by Selena Gomez - I was really astonished to not find musicians (except a keyboard - & they say producer). So I was just asking who really made/played the song?

"If you want to start an "I hate pop music" thread"
    .... No, I don't want to start an "I hate pop music thread". I would if I did.

19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

+1

20. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Drums? Mozart got by just fine without them - maybe they were a fad...

(tongue *very much* in cheek)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.