Are drums on the way out?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Feb 5, 2016.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well they do take up a lot of space and time.

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

In fact I think that there are a LOT more REAL drums in today's commercial music than they were 30 years ago when the LINN DRUM was everywhere.....(producers were paying top drummers to...program the drum machines instead of playing in the studio) :D:D now during the 80s there REALLY WAS a time when everybody thought that drums & guitars were on their way out but thank God they were wrong ;)

3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Music is always being transformed by technology. Drums up through the 1920s didn't have a HiHat--hadn't been invented yet. Through the 1930 the primary guitar was lap steel--more popular, seen as more versatile. That's where a lot of marketing energy went. Invention of the Hammond organ, invention of the electric bass--that was really huge. The synthesizer, the sampler--there's just a long history and often technology changes the basic beat and people's expectations of music. Drums will never go away entirely but I'm so impressed by drum software and wonder how many studio recordings today have actual drummers on them, rather than samples mapped to midi.

4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

All real instruments are on the way out... until someone comes along and makes them retro-cool.

It's all been played before, and sampled. :D

6. Nick Fanis

You will not find this in REALLY big commercial productions (you will find it in many demos) ,what you WILL find is drum replacement SOUNDS (especially in heavy metal style music),but there WILL be a real drummer playing the parts.

What you will also find in many commercial productions is heavy editing and looping "to the grid" in order to make everything "perfect",truth is that most of the drummers playing in TOP CHARTING albums are SO GOOD that even this is not necessary (Kenny Aronoff,Eddie Beyers,Abe Laboriel and many other top session cats are human metronomes)

Heck even in ELECTRONIC MUSIC who needs a drum machine when you have MONSTERS like this guy?

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know anyone who listens to Top 40 so it is hard to say. I might argue Top 40 is on the way out rather than drums. We may reach the point where it is hard to get new music played. Most of the folks I know are somewhere along the lines of ....why listen to new music when there is so much old music that is waaaaay better. The occasional new song that is alright comes out.

8. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I hope not, love good drumming. Not so much hard hitters who drive the stage volume to the roof.

Attached Files:

9. Nick Fanis

There is plenty of FANTASTIC music made today,we are simply getting OLD and too BORED to check it out. It is part of being an old fart :D

10. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Between drums and the human voice Drums are probably either the first or second oldest instruments ever. They will never go away. Real music made with out computers will always have a market and if anyone had the talent these days would out perform this computer made stuff by a large margin. Listen to the drums on Segers original studio cut of Hollywood nights. The one they normally play on the radio. The whole song is loose everything's a bit off but the drums and whole song are just a work of art. The Drums on that song are some of the best I ever heard Seger fan or not.

11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, as someone who works with primary school musicians all I can say is...

You have to keep turning out drummers and guitarists into the world..:twisted:

Every kid who does music at our school and sticks with it to gr6..can play the drum kit in a band situation before they go to highschool... as well as marimbas/violins/guitars....

atm the girl drummers out number the boys by@10 to 1.... it seems drumming is a girl thing these days.....the last boy drummer in my rock band was 4 yrs ago.... though the boys(and girls) that play guitars and can jump on the kit if needed....sometimes they swap over mid set....

they all seem to have kits at home, too.... which has surprised me..:cool:

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'll go with this one. No matter what kind of music you like there are TONS of it out there if you just look for it. Folks that use new tech to make the music I like deserve every bit of respect as the 5 piece band...just different.

I put myself in the group of old farts that feels nostalgia for "real" bands...but I've heard too many one man bands and duos that can fill a theater, bar or auditorium with full sound to discount them.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

You have to stop listening to tween bop radio.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes. There's a Post-Rap form of music using really peculiar rhythm patterns. Very entertaining to listen to - although the unevenness of the patterns can really annoy you if you let it. Brittany (Alabama Shakes) has one song that's totally non drum based - I couldn't find it on You Tube - and it is really intriguing.

Not sure if I'm liking it just for its own sake or because it is squeezing tired old Rap vocals out of the light.

15. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

nope...haters gonna hate though

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Does this mean, could it, oh the humanity, NO MORE DRUM CIRCLES?!!!!!!!!!!!

17. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The Internet has killed the industry's ability to push top 40. Google can target ads to what you've looked at before and take you down a completely different rat hole than what your neighbor is seeing. Uniquely targeted advertising and then content. Only when a consumer is in high school/college around a consistent group of people will they gravitate to a certain style. After that they will burrow toward a niche and with everyone burrowing into a niche there is no top 40. There is the top 40 million. The cogs in the machine.

Drums will last longer, in electronic echoes, than guitars.

Unless the big guitar companies work a strategy of a popular guitar reality show, band scholarships, and big recording advances. Guitar product placement in television shows, more shows like "Nashville", and a concerted effort to market learning music with guitars in particular.

The big factory guitar builders need to do fret levels and setups on starter guitars so they play like boutique guitars out of the box - so that the starter players will continue learning and buying guitars at increasing price points. Look at how easy it is to learn to play video games and thus how popular they are.

Drums will last though.

18. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I think taking studio time to set up and properly mic a kit is on its way out as far as what you hear on the radio. Songs are assembled (and "written") on ProTools now and it's a lot easier to manipulate the basic tracks using samples. It's why a lot of radio-friendly music sounds so flat and lifeless now, at least to me - there's no real interplay between musicians.

19. Nick Fanis

What radio?If you are listening to a top 40 ROCK or COUNTRY radio I guarantee you that the drums are real.Once again there are TONS of REAL drums in the VAST majority of today's music ESPECIALLY the big money productions.

Now days most top session drummers have their OWN recording studios and record drums for lower budget albums anyhow

as long as rock,country,pop,latin,alternative & jazz music EXIST ..there WILL be drums ;)

20. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

classic truthiness
    its pretty remarkable what you hear
    is affected by your emotions more than anything.
    You hear fake drums when they are real etc;

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.