Are Deluxe and Custom pickguards interchangeable?

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
As far as I can tell, the answer is "yes", the screw locations appear identical. Ignoring pickup routes and the ashtray bridge of course, but I have a plan for that. If anyone knows for sure I'd really appreciate the feedback/confirmation.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
@Hodgo88

I will say, "possibly."

The reason is over the 35+ years I've been working on guitars I've experienced incompatibilities with Fender Strat bodies and pickguards. These have been 8-hole bodies and 8-hole pickguards, as well as the modern 11-hole type.

You would think a single company has a standard for the part that fits the body, but nope--not all the time. Sometimes they fit, and sometimes you need to move a screw hole or three in the body.

Same goes for Telecasters, Jaguars, P-basses--you name it. Buy a non-Fender-brand pickguard and the chance of incompatibility increases through the roof.

The most important thing here is that the new pickguard completely covers all the existing holes in the body.

Once it's screwed down, only you know there are evil little empty holes hiding under the plastic plate, letting all the Springtime Fresh Toanz leak out.

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Thanks all. I called Terrapin Guitars (who are making me a pickguard, Oregon represent!) and Mary spent 12 minutes on the phone with me comparing the two in her hands.

Info for future time travelers: She informed me that the screws nearest to the neck are a match, but not at the bridge due to the ashtray cutout. She proposed modifying my order to utilise the screw locations from the Custom on my Deluxe guard so I could (probably) avoid having to move the holes on my guitar. No dang order change fee either!

P.S. I ❤️ small business owners.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks all. I called Terrapin Guitars (who are making me a pickguard, Oregon represent!) and Mary spent 12 minutes on the phone with me comparing the two in her hands.

Info for future time travelers: She informed me that the screws nearest to the neck are a match, but not at the bridge due to the ashtray cutout. She proposed modifying my order to utilise the screw locations from the Custom on my Deluxe guard so I could (probably) avoid having to move the holes on my guitar. No dang order change fee either!

P.S. I ❤️ small business owners.
Thanks for the heads up. I lost my cnc guy a couple years ago. I live in southern OR. & just looked at their mock ups. Nice.