Are CS roasted maple necks finished or unfinished?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by sunking101, May 15, 2021.

1. sunking101

sunking101 TDPRI Member

I can't find this info anywhere, specifically relating to NOS teles.

2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Finished

sunking101 likes this.
  3. sunking101

sunking101 TDPRI Member

Thanks. Yes the one I'm looking at buying has a satin urethane finish. I had to ring the dealer to check the spec. It isn't listed anywhere.

4. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I'm curious if anyone hear has a roasted neck and if you feel/notice any difference between roasted and "non-roasted"?

String Tree likes this.
  5. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You may not be able to feel the difference but, you can taste it.
    Or, so I have been told.
    By a friend.

6. Joe M

Admin Post
    I had a Strat with a roasted neck a while ago. Felt super slick to me. Looked cool. Couldn’t wait to get rid of it. Of course, that could be something you want in a neck so, YMMV.

7. VillainSean

Didn't bond with it?

8. Joe M

Admin Post
    Wasn’t that. Though it looked cool in the store, and played and sounded good, in the end, I’m just too much of a traditionalist as far as looks go. Never saw a “real” Strat with a brown neck. I also still have a hard time with a Tele that has “flipped” controls or a six saddle bridge. Not the way Leo made them. :D

VillainSean likes this.
  9. VillainSean

Gotcha!

10. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have a '52 AVRI Tele from Wildwood that came with a roasted maple and it's the best guitar I've ever touched.

I had the neck refretted with medium jumbo stainless and that definitely helped for sure.

But the neck is a satin finish and feels amazingly smooth. I don't want to use the term 'fast' because I ain't a speed demon, LOL!

But wow the feel of it, back of neck, fingerboard area, it feels amazing. It's virtually maintenance free, just wipe down the fingerboard with the slightest damp rag during string changes and you're good to go.

I was going to state that there is no sound difference, but if I am going to be honest, I do want to state that I believe that this neck does have slightly more sustain than other types of necks that I have played, but I always lean traditional maple for Tele/Strat styles or traditional ebony for LP styles. And this was before the stainless refret. I actually do believe it has a tad more sustain. So in other words if I played a Tele w/ satin roasted maple vs. Tele with traditional maple I would hear a slight but definite sustain difference. At least that is what I feel and hear, anyway. Would be interested if other roasted maple neck owners feel the same way.

I have an Epi LP with ebony fingerboard and an EJ Strat with the traditional lacquered maple fingerboard. I do love the feel of ebony, and, the EJ is giving me fits lately, had do sand the back of it to get rid of the stickiness, and might have to lightly sand the fingerboard as well, it is really playing slowly and sticky, even after a good naphtha wipe.

Now that I'm typing all of this, it could be that all factors on the Tele neck is what puts it at the top (one of those 'whole is greater than sum of the parts...' deals). But the feel of satin finished roasted maple is definitely worth playing once, it's definitely a unique feel to it as compared to traditional neck materials. It's also one of those things where if I go off playing the Epi for 4 days straight and then pick up the Tele, I go 'ahhhhhhh....there we go'. So, I am certainly partial.

All of this of course is my own opinion.

VillainSean likes this.
  11. VillainSean

Thanks for sharing. Fender is sort of billing these as being "Resistant to humidity shifts and featuring a gorgeous, dark look, they have more sustain and add a unique note to the instrument’s voice.". So maybe it's true ;)

And getting one from the Custom Shop almost guarantees that it will be a higher quality of wood to begin with.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...all-frets-7.25-radius-wtuners/0990009921.html

StevesBoogie likes this.
  12. sunking101

sunking101 TDPRI Member

Not one for the purists but I think roasted maple is aesthetically pleasing and 'a bit different'. I wouldn't want all my necks roasted but I like them! It adds a modern 'boutique' twist to the proceedings which you may or may not be looking for....

VillainSean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.