Are Classic Vibe Strats as good as CV Teles?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mistercharlie, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

I have a CV Thinline, but I hardly ever play it since getting a Music Man Valentine a year ago. The Valentine covers everything the Tele does and more. It’s not even useful for a beater guitar, because I have a Steinberger Spirit that’s perfect for sofa playing and grab-n-go.

I’m thinking I might swap the Tele for a Strat. The CV Teles are amazing, as we know. Are the Strats as good? Or is there another option in swapping price range?

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I can't speak for the whole strat, but I have a CV 60s neck that I really like. Tuners, nut, string trees all original and pretty well used when I bought it (for $50!). It's the best fender-style neck I've owned and really upped the ante for any future guitars I might own. I rarely pick up a strat and think "oh, I like this neck better."

In my experience, most of the (necks on the) 60s strats I've seen are of a similar quality and feel as mine.

But I'm a firm believer and playing everything you can get your hands on. The one that fits you best will be obvious in your hands, not on paper. And it could be a freakishly good Affinity strat or even a pointy Ibanez!

3. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They are very nice. Same well-finished neck and quality pickups. The trem block is pretty unsubstantial, but cheap to replace.

DougM likes this.
  4. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

That’s what we like! Possible mods and upgrades!

DougM likes this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Of those I've seen or played I'd say the overall quality of the builds are comparable. Whether or not you like it's specs is another thing entirely. But all CVs are made to accept MIA spec parts so modifying one isn't a huge chore. Both my CVC Teles have been including neck, pickups, and bridges and I have a buddy with a CV Surfcaster he's modified and it's a great guitar. IMHO all CVs are high value guitars and basses.

DougM, Grux and zook like this.
  6. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

I found the specs on the CV Tele to be great. I guess the trick is to play a few in store, then try to find something to swap for my Tele.

DougM likes this.
  7. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

In my experience, yes.

DougM and Dan_in_WI like this.
  8. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

Ive had several- great for the money, but a little thuddie sounding cause of their weight!

9. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

They’re heavy?
    I thought strats were light.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think so. Only played CVs at GC; I actually liked the Strats better. All the CV Teles were too heavy IMO.

11. plaidbeer

plaidbeer TDPRI Member

Found a used CV 50s Strat on the cheap and I really like it a lot. Had it set up by my local tech and the Emerson kit installed with a new switch, pots, and jack and it's been great. The tech was impressed with the quality, too. It's every bit as good as my CV Thinline, in terms of quality.

[​IMG]

davidchagrin, brbadg and hrstrat57 like this.
  12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

... I REALLY like the pickups in the 50s versions; but you gotta either deck the trem or get a better block...

13. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

More raves about Squier necks. I'd say go into a brick and mortar store and try whatever they have and find one with a neck you like. Then the sky's the limit.

DougM, ukepicker and Mistercharlie like this.
  14. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

Had a CV '50 BSB Telecaster and a CV '50's SB Stratocaster and they were great guitars especially considering the price. If you like the Tele you'll like the Strat.

DougM and Lostinsound like this.
  15. Mistercharlie

Mistercharlie Tele-Holic

Looks like you folks made up my mind! Now I just need to find someone who wants the swap...

DougM likes this.
  16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I found this with my Simon Neil .nice guitar ,well made ,but heavy .same for other CV strats I tried .My CV 60th anniversary strat was lighter but was sold to part buy my Gibson Midtown which I have to sat is a whole different ball game .I do still have a very light paulowonia bodied strat with Wilkingson trem and bits and bobs that is really nice too.

frankieleeray likes this.
  17. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Are apples as good as oranges?

18. UncleGizmo

UncleGizmo TDPRI Member

I gotta say... every CV tele I have played, I hated. I used to play a basic 70s American and recently bought a used 40th anniversary. Both have killer necks. The CV was over-lacquered for the look, but to the point it played and sounded like crap.

I usually play strats (have a pre-cbs, an 80s custom and have gone through a few MIM/Squires too). If you can swing a standard MIM strat, go for it. They have a few varieties and pickups make a difference. Make sure to try the bridge pickup. Some are snappy and bright (almost too bright), but some have that chimey-brightness that just gives happy overtones.

Happy playing!

19. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

All CVs come both heavy and light,... and mid-weight. I have a CV Tele in White blond from 2010, that is 8 lbs even,... med weight. I have a 2012 CV-50 Strat that is very light and is a blast to play.. I have followed the weights at Sweetwater's web page, and out of the four CV-50 Teles, typically listed together, their weights could be... 8lb 3 oz,... 8lb 13 oz., ... 7lbs 3 oz,... 9lbs 2 oz... this is just a typical sample, so weights do vary a lot. Same with all CVs.

DougM likes this.
  20. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Yes, and yes.

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.