Are Chinese "Restaurants" decreasing in your area?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 22, 2021.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Chinese is far less popular now I would guess. Greek has nearly disappeared entirely! I have no options for that now. It seemed to be big in the 90's

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

We have some really great Chinese restaurants of several different regional varieties. A few very close to me. Some aren’t fancy. But very good.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

No, but I wish we had one. The closest one is about 40 miles away from us.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Greek in the '90s?

When was the heyday for Chinese food, the '50s and '60s? There are just a lot more options now, for starters.

oregomike likes this.
  5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

We have a metric ****-ton of Chinese restaurants in my town, which is good I suppose. I'm not a fan of Chinese cuisine however. I'd much rather have Indian, Thai or Vietnamese. Fortunately we have those here as well.

6. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Greek is still popular in Florida where there is a large population of Greeks and Greek descended people. I too love Greek food. One nice thing about the FL, lotta european transplants bring some very good kitchen know how with them.

schmee likes this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We have 2 Buffet style Chinese and a couple take out types, but they don't seem to be as busy as they used to be.

Mexican restaurants on the other hand have popped up all over the place.

8. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

We used to have two very good Greek restaurants, but both have been closed for years now. What a shame, I really miss Greek food.

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

One of the best things about Houston is that we have such a diverse population, so cuisines from all around the globe can be found here. One thing I haven’t really seen much of (as far as Asian cuisine goes) is Korean.

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

There used to be a lot of small family run Chinese places downunder... since the Vietnam era there are a lot more asian immigrants coming with their own food styles..

the Thais seemed to replace the Chinese around here with food places....

the two long running Chinese places near me closed over a decade ago... I miss them, I knew the staff in those places and they always looked after me... I used to take my dad down to the one on the beach strip, it had a big glass window to watch the passing parade, we were always welcomed on arrival there and they cooked dad's veges a bit softer for him...he liked that.

that was a special time for us. yeah I miss that place...

the other place in the small town close to me closed up as the owner moved to the city and opened a bigger place with other family...

nothing better than a busy chinese eatery with woks sizzling and clanging and loud chit chat from the kitchen that you can usually see into... :)

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

This is something I can’t understand.

Chinese restaurants in NE Florida started closing long before the current negative climate.

12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I live in Texas and have had excellent Mexican and Tex-Mex (even mexi-cajun in Louisiana) and New Mexican food. The very worst
    Mexican food I have ever had was in an piny woods, east Texas Mexican restaurant.

I was very bummed, because the lady at the hotel told me it was the best mexican in town. It was an old mom and pop place named after the Mexican lady who founded it and everything! It was even an out of the way “hole in the wall” place full of locals which is usually a great sign.

We would have been better off at the chain Mexican restaurant right across from the Hotel. We always start with a margarita and chips and salsa. I don’t know if the county was dry or what, but my margarita tasted like a Virgin margarita with no discernable sluttiness at all. The chips were cold and the salsa bland other than the extra cumin.

It never got any better. Of course this town wasn’t exactly in the heart of Texas. It was much closer to northwest Lousiana than the Alamo.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

No Cambodian?

I think my most awe inspiring dining has been made by Cambodians from the golden triangle (Thailand, Laos and Myanmar), often refugees who cooked in outdoor markets like their lives depended on it.
    Because of the stuff happening there, several cultures cuisines blended around border areas, though my understanding of that areas cultures is from immigrants speaking ESL. Not sure why so many Cambodian cooks. Maybe their villages got purged in larger numbers?

Anyhow, literally mind blowing food.

I can barely stand most "Thai food" because it's so far from the real thing.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see there are a couple Cambodian restaurant in the centre of Vancouver. On my list!

JustABluesGuy and telemnemonics like this.
  15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

There are about the same number as previous years, but the quality is decreasing.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The Chinese joints in my area have become few and far between, and most of the ones that remain have been getting worse over the years. There's only one, a take-out place, that I will still go to, and it can be disappointing too. But still edible.

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

We have a fantastic ( and affordable) Greek restaurant, Katerina's in Manassas, Va ( my home now) - so good!
    The marinated meats, the Moussaka, the Spanakopita, the stuffed grape leaves, yum!!!

schmee and telemnemonics like this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

The best Chinese restaurant here closed with Covid and has not reopened. I don't know if they will...

19. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

RIP John Pinette.

"We closed... No buffet here... We Dry Clean now."

20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Most are take-out in Melbourne, FL area, and several have closed "temporarily"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.