1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Chinese "Restaurants" decreasing in your area?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Apr 22, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I remember when there were a number of good, sit down restaurant style Chinese places in my immediate area. They seem to be disappearing here in NE Florida. I am not talking about places like PF Changs, etc. They've been replaced by short order style take out services. The quality is highly inconsistent.
    Sushi and Tai places are doing okay so I wonder what drove the departure of Chinese establishments.

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

There aren't any good Chinese restaurants in my area. There were a few we'd go to in college that I always looked forward to. But not where I live now. Pretty sad because I love Chinese buffets. But Panda Express fills the void.

3. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

There several in my town but not as many as there was 20 years ago. We get some Chinese every couple months.

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Not up here in the Vancouver, BC area. According to some food critics we have the best Chinese food in the world, including China. Lots of Chefs came here from Hong Kong and there's more Chinese restaurants than you can count. Also a plethora of Japanese, Thai, and Vietnamese. Largest growing segment though is probably Korean.

Of course we have a much larger Asian population here than you probably do where you live.

I have the same kind of problem finding Mexican restaurants here after moving from California. Not the same kind of Mexican population to support the restaurants here.

Lunch meat, DHart, Rowdyman and 4 others like this.
  5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

We have a couple really good ones locally. I have no idea how the one stays in business. Their food is really good, but there is never anyone in there. Even in the days when people sat and ate in restaurants (more than a year ago) the place was always empty. I ate there a lot, and still get takeout sometimes. The place is always a ghost town. Been like that for fifteen years.

The really REALLY good place in my neighborhood just opened in the last couple years. It’s out of this world fantastic but it’s takeout only. Even before that which cannot be named.

There’s a really famous one (for this area) about fifteen minutes away in another suburb. It’s the only sit-down one I know of in the area that always had a good crowd. Strangely enough I don’t think their food is all that good. Lots of people apparently disagree with me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When we first visited here (2014), we both commented on the dearth of Chinese restaurants.

Thankfully, one opened up within 5 miles. Standard American/Chinese...and pretty good sushi too.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've never really liked "sit down, order from a menu" Chinese or Asian places......always preferred (and enjoyed) Chinese buffets. I like seeing what looks good and choosing my own quantity. But prices seemed to escalate to the point that it exceeded the value, plus (coincidentally?) 2020 seemed to be the "death knell" of buffets in general.
    I stop by the Asian fast food places (like Panda Express) maybe once or twice a month at most. Their quality is disappointing.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love all kinds of Asian food! My top 5 would be:

1. Indian
    2. Japanese, usually I would break that down into sushi, izakaya etc... but I'll lump it together here
    3. Korean
    4. Vietnamese
    5. Thai
    X. Chinese

So Chinese, not near the top. "In times like these", I haven't eaten inside a restaurant in a year, but Friday is our takeaway day, and the kids like Chinese. Around here, the Chinese places that aren't takeaway are almost all buffets. I don't know how buffets, with their "sneeze guards" have been fairing, I can't imagine it has been too well.

The classic sit-down chinese restaurant aren't common around here. There are plenty around Vancouver, but then Vancouver is about 20% Chinese, ethnically.

That reminds me: while I'm not crazy about Chinese food for dinner, I do love a Sunday bunch dim sun! Nowhere good in my town, but once things get better, it's on my Van list.

Oh, an exception to the Chinese rule is bubble tea -- hold that thought, bubble tea is Taiwanese! Yeah, we have bubble tea once a week, too.

9. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

we got a ton of chinese restaurants here in barcelona. and back home in NYC, the chinese immigrants are actually part of the dreaded "gentrifiers" on the isle of manhattan, not only rich suburbanites. i'm not sure they're going anywhere.

but there is a type of messed up system in urban areas in the US where a lot of those restaurants are worked or managed by people who are getting screwed just trying to get their visa sponsored, often by not-so-savory types, i.e. their equivalent of people in the "waste management" business. i don't know how recent events have affected that dynamic.

other asian restaurants (japanese, korean, thai) in the tri-state are more often owned by immigrants themselves in small business. and they appeal to a different type of customer (either people from their respective community, middle class suburbanites, or "foodies"). even with chinese food, you can see this type of difference between a dim sum place vs a takeout spot on the corner. different game for sure.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    hepular likes this.
  10. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

It's hard to make it as a "restaurant." Most of them go out of business, even the non-Chinese ones. It's just a question of who is opening the new restaurants. Apparently not the Chinese.

Another thing, could be a lot of those long-standing Chinese places were family-run and the kids don't want to take over the business.

El Tele Lobo and Harry Styron like this.
  11. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

We "lost" one I liked before the (((()))), but it may have moved...Mrs doesn't care for it so I haven't looked very hard.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Opposite order, for me

13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Certainly not in Toronto, where there are three separate Chinatown areas. However, like any restaurant, they have all been put to the test. There's a local Toronto weekly news paper that posts which restaurants have been forced to close. It's endless, and sad.

Willie Johnson likes this.
  14. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

There isn't any shortage in SF/Bay Area where I grew up. i'm in Hood River, Oregon now, and they're all but nonexistent, which sucks.

Obsessed and DHart like this.
  15. BigDaddyLH

Looking for Mexican food in Vancouver?! What next, go to a Rush concert to pick up a chick?!

tomkatf, darkwaters, Glen W and 4 others like this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

I'm starting to think we are mirror opposites! :lol:

17. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

This is one of the types of restaurant which didn't suffer as badly under you-know-what restrictions, because a major part of their business is takeout or delivery anyway. (Additionally they tend to be staffed by people who are part of the family and so are going to be there anyway no matter what.) When I do sit down in one of these places, the number of people coming in to pick up or the number of times people come from the kitchen through the front of house out to the car with an insulated bag outnumbers the occupied tables greatly.

In fact, there are at least two in my town alone which don't even have seating.

18. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

bok-choy, steamed rice, strong beer. Who needs a restaurant? Chicken-balls, plum-sauce, chow-mien. You eat garbage?

19. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

We no longer have a really good Chinese restaurant in town. The ones that remain morphed into Chinese/Japanese/sushi joints, and do none of it very well.

20. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

We visited Vancouver a couple times years ago when we lived in Seattle. I really liked that city. Had one of the best Italian meals I can remember there. We also noticed the same thing about lack of Mexican restaurants in Seattle. But the Thai and salmon selections helped make up for it. Now living in South Texas there is no lack Mexican food choices but, yes, the Chinese options aren't the best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.