Are Blacktop Tele humbuckers splittable?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lonn, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Looking hard at this model but they only come with a 3 way switch. Anyone know if the pickups are 4 wire? I like the aesthetics of a Tele but I want some humbuckers.

2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

It's not likely. Even Shawbuckers, an American HB, can't be split.

The first and last Fender humbucker that could be split was a Red Dually with Lace Sensors.

3. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Are you talking with a coil splitter option?

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unfortunately, fender.com doesn't have a downloadable service diagram for the Blacktop Telecaster. The pickups might be the same as the ones in the Blacktop Stratocaster HH, thus 4-wire and splittable. The switching scheme in the Strat HH depends on the coils having separate leads so the super-switch can combine either both outer coils or both inner coils of the two humbuckers.

The Standard Telecaster HH uses "Blacktop" pickups, but there's no guarantee they have 4 leads in the cable. No service diagram is available. Fender calls the neck pickup a CS-1 in the Chris Shiflett Telecaster, but per the service diagram it's the same Fender P/N 0081148000 that the Blacktop Strat uses. The service diagram shows it wired 2-conductor to the volume and tone pots. To complete the humbucker circuit the white and green leads might be soldered together at the end of the cable, or soldered together inside the pickup. Don't know.

You'll need to hear these pickups before you decide. The Blacktop Strat humbuckers I had were 12.5K Ohm at the neck (Fender P/N 0081148000) and 13.5K Ohm at the bridge (Fender P/N 0081149000). Opinions vary, of course, but I thought they sounded like rock or even metal pickups. Edit: With the Standard HH, Fender is still pitching these as having "hotter vintage tones," but ain't nothing vintage about them.

Buying different new or used pickups for the guitar is cheap, though.

For your entertainment, here are some old, relevant threads...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-blacktop-telecaster-coil-split-help.330160/

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/im-thinkin-of-coil-tapping-my-guitar.328609/

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender...elecaster-hh-what-are-the-differences.868463/

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Thanks all.

6. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I don't know of a Fender with coil-splitter options. Even on a 1972 Tele with Fender dual Wide-Range humbucker pickups, there are no coil splitters. Shawbuckers, a Fender humbucker, has no option for coil splitters, so far. Maybe you were thinking about Gibson.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  7. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Actually my FMT Tele does but they are SD's

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I took a Blacktop apart like 7 years ago - they weren't splittable then, just one hot conductor and a shield. I doubt they have been replaced with another model of pickup with 4 conductors.

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.