1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are Black Baja Teles Heavier?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Mar 16, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

I’m trying to get my hands on a black Classic Player Baja Telecaster. The two I have seen on eBay and Reverb or 9 pounds and 8.6 pounds. I would have but either one if they were lighter. Is it just a fluke?

naranja66 likes this.
  2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

Well my blonde Baja weighs 8.8 lbs, from 2007. After 2010 Black and black sunburst models were available. If weight made a difference I would get a lighter one. But the pickup combination and the neck profile is what sold the world on the Baja model, and all of them are Ash.

Good luck on finding one.

3. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

Colors don't matter, just a lot of Bajas are ridiculously heavy.
    My black Baja was 3.5kg (7.7lbs), and my BSB is 3.3kg (7.3lbs).

Fretting out and dscottyg like this.
  4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I remember playing an early Baja that felt like it was made of concrete. Made 70s Les Paul's seem light by comparison.

dscottyg likes this.
  5. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

My MIM 72 custom RI weighs a ton. Usually the 72 custom/deluxe bodies weigh a bit less because of the extensive routing, but not the MIM versions. They are sleds. My MIA version of the same guitar weighs in at about a pound lighter (unloaded body compared to unloaded body). Idk how the classic series compares but my experience has been that the Mexi bodies are weighty. But for what it’s worth, weight alone doesn’t make or break a guitar. One of best sounding guitars is nearly 9 pounds, so....

Mast0rs and dscottyg like this.
  6. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Yes, it's a fluke. I can't think of a commercial or manufacturing reason why they would do that. Painting all the ill-matched, or scratched-up bodies a solid colour, to disguise it? Probably. :)

Bruxist and Danb541 like this.
  7. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

My black Baja Tele weighed 4.1kg (9lbs) last time I checked. It's my heaviest guitar, but always sounds great.

8. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I think that's just the norm with Baja's (heavy), IME anyway. The last Baja I had (BSB) weighed more than my LP. I've heard of lighter ones but never found one myself.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

With the Baja 50s, some of the earlier ones were lightweight, most were average, some were heavy. Later ones were typically 7 1/2-8 1/2 pounds, some weighed as much as a dwarf star. My 2016 is 7 lb, 8 oz.

The color has no correlation with any weight.

10. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

Baja's are generally several piece bodies, using pieces of timbers not likely to be found in custom shop guitars. They are glued and these pieced and glued frankenbodies are radically inconsistant in wieght.

This is not a diss on 4 or 5 piece bodies. I've played and owned some great ones. Generally the darker the paint, the more likely the wood is very unmatched. So there may be a bit of science to your question.

qblue likes this.
  11. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

My 2016 BSB is 8.4lbs, doesn't feel too heavy to me.

12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mine's two pieces. Just sayin'. But yeah, still heavyish at over 8lbs. But to me heavy starts at 9 lbs.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  13. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

For most tele players 8lbs is already too heavy. I can't even imagine a 9lbs tele unless the body is white ash. They would sound killer with good amount of distortion. Jeff Beck's Tele-Gib was really heavy according to someone who hold it.

14. wout

wout TDPRI Member

The answer is yes, black paint is heavier then white paint, so the same baja would be heavier in black then in white. That’s the reason most planes are white ;)

15. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

My black Baja weighs 8.8 lbs. so I probably own one of the heavier ones but that's the luck of the draw. I doubt the colour has any correlation with weight.

16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Then I want a clear finish. ;)

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I do think that the folks in Ensenada used the better looking ash bodies for the BSB examples, for the most part and there is IMO a slight weight correlation between less than pretty and kinda hefty ash bodies.

I've seen a fair number of Bajas, in the flesh (I bought seven after trying out at least 100 in person [mostly at numerous GCs]) and it did seem to me the BSBs were a bit lighter. But they were also full price or close to it and the real kicker was, the Desert Sand (or Black) ones tended to sound better as a group.

I've got a chance to play these things, over a decade in a half, and I've come to the radical conclusion that, in general, my heaviest ones ("Pensacola" is almost 9 pounds) sound cooler. I didn't really expect that to happen. But there you have it. Sure it is anecdotal, but anecdote based on 7 examples is better than anecdote based on two or three.

Personally, I don't think ash Bajas weigh any more on average than do ash Deluxe Nashvilles or ash 50s Classics. I believe that the "weight mania" peaked at the same time the CP Baja (50s) hit the market - this is why they got this reputation and also, folks looking for the best ones really did kinda go nuts there for a while. Had to be BSB, had to be under 8 pounds - everything else was avoided. Things went overboard, IMO.

Mast0rs, BluesGuitarMart and Tele22 like this.
  18. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

quality :lol:

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You've inadvertantlly remiinded me of the rolling, Baja 50s weight thread. I haven't seen an addition to it for a long time. You add a line that lists your Baja, year, weight, and anything that fits in one line, then post. The next person does the same for their Baja 50s, etc.

Ok, I found it in the Baja Owners club. The last entry was in 2019, after which the Baja weight obsession died down and folks got obsessive about how much their Twin Reverbs weighed.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/baja-owners-club.131546/page-124

20. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

My 2019 blond Baja tips the scale at 8.6 lbs. This ties it for first place with my Firefly FFLP as my heaviest guitar. Not quite a boat anchor, but the weight is noticeable. I do use a wider strap with this one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.