Are Analog consoles still worth it?

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Was Midas bought by the B-word?
yes along with , TC electronics, Klark technik, and about 10 other major companies

any items associated with Musictribe

music tribe.png

Last edited:

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I use mine every time I fire up the studio.

They are enormously useful for tracking, especially if you are tracking a drummer.

Even if you are mixing ITB, they can be used for 'tricks' like analog summing or routing to an external effect or even just dialing in an EQ using physical controls rather than virtual.

And you could always run the tracks back out of your DAW and mix on the console if you are feeling brave...

I'll never not have an analog console in my studio. I really wish I'd saved and bought an SSL E series ten years ago when they were fairly cheap. Like all pro audio, they have skyrocketed in the last few years. I recently saw a fixer-upper Harrison for a little under $4k, and I was pretty tempted but passed on it.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
yes along with , TC electronics, Klark technik, and about 10 other major companies

any items associated with Musictribe

View attachment 945188
Ah okay. I knew about TC. The cheap line of TC pedals that came out seemed an obvious sign too. The M32 and X32 similarities made me suspicious. Crazy. I didn’t know about the other ones either.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
For me I don’t have the space anymore. My old Soundcraft is sitting in my sister’s living room. Anybody want it? I’m sure it needs a lot of work at this point.

Cheers,
Geoff

msalama

Tele-Holic
Cut my teeth on large Soundcrafts and 24-track Studers mostly when I was working as a part-time muso and part-time recording engineer on the side - my main occupation at the time was radio broadcast engineering / sound mixing - but of course just used whatever was installed / available. Don't really miss those days - or the job(s) - at all, so what little recording I do nowadays is with Cakewalk only. Works just as well as any big iron analog behemothry for my current needs!